Say Cheese

LittleWing

Hey all,

Say Cheese is a new(ish) blog on my site about cheese and cheese & wine pairing. This week and next are dedicated to cheeses for Thanksgiving! :)

If you have any cheese questions at all, please Email me and I'll post the answers. I am dying to know your burning cheese questions! (Though for cheese that is actually burning, I don't think I can help)

I am new to DR so just looking around and trying to learn about the site. I have enjoyed exploring cheeses since eating an aged Gouda in Fairway market in NYC about 10 years ago and wondering what were those little "crystals" and why did this Gouda taste so good compared to the ones with the red wax in the grocery store. I bought Steve Jenkins book and have been trying to learn about cheese ever since. I have to say my favortites are sheep cheeses, like a Pecorino Toscano. On that note, are there any other sheep cheeses with a similar profile that you are particulalry excited about right now ? Thanks. -Tony

Hi Tony! I'm a huge fan of sheep's milk cheeses. Both Cinerino (from italy) and Castellano (from Spain) have a firm, flaky texture with a bright, tangy flavor that I find similar to an aged Pecorino Toscano, and they're two that I'm really digging right now. You also might enjoy Pecorino Ginepro, which has a rind that's washed in juniper berries & balsamic vinegar. it's pretty bright as well, with just a finish that's just a touch woodsy. Another fav of mine.

Good luck, post back if you try them!

I am new to DR so just looking around and trying to learn about the site. I have enjoyed exploring cheeses since eating an aged Gouda in Fairway market in NYC about 10 years ago and wondering what were those little "crystals" and why did this Gouda taste so good compared to the ones with the red wax in the grocery store. I bought Steve Jenkins book and have been trying to learn about cheese ever since. I have to say my favortites are sheep cheeses, like a Pecorino Toscano. On that note, are there any other sheep cheeses with a similar profile that you are particulalry excited about right now ? Thanks. -Tony

those `crystals` are acid turned into crystals after the aging process. the gouda you had from the grocery stores are just sh** and taste horrible, IMO. I made the mistake of trying once from safeway. You should try cows milk gouda from Netherlands. I think they make the best of them. prima donna and roomano are some of the top.

Perhaps the most famous sheeps milk cheese is Roquefort. Try it with a Port from a good vintage.

I share your preference for sheep milk cheeses...

Right now at Trader Joe's you can find a 100% sheep milk gouda from Holland that has the wonderful caramelly undertone of a good aged cow's milk gouda.

Manchego, perhaps Spain's most famous cheese, is made from sheep milk. Arrowine in Arlington is a great place to find manchegos of various levels of aging. They'll let you taste before you buy.

If you ever come to the Dupont Circle FreshFarm market on Sundays, you'll find one of the very few farmstead sheep milk cheesemakers in the US--Everona Dairy from Rapidan, VA.

I am the cheese buyer at Arrowine, I love sheeps milk cheese! Come by anytime to try any of them they are all amazing, we have sheeps milk cheese from Spain, Portugal, Italy, France, and USA right now. San Andreas from California is amazing, Tomme de Fedou from France is also very good. Of course Manchego from Spain, Pecorino from Italy and Roquefort from France