Mexican Wine

Mexican wine is getting realer and realer each year. The climate is Provencal, but often with cooling breezes rather than warming. The barriers to premium wine status are the usual: vineyard management, yield reduction, cellar cleanliness, bottle storage temperature, cepage selection, quality of wood (and judiciousness of use). Sound familiar, VA vignerons?

While on a trip to southern California I purchased a bottle of L.A. Cetto Vineyards's Nebbiolo Private Reserve. It was really good, so I am looking for any retailer in the area that either carries other Mexican wine or those from L.A. Cetto. Any suggestions?

While on a trip to southern California I purchased a bottle of L.A. Cetto Vineyards's Nebbiolo Private Reserve. It was really good, so I am looking for any retailer in the area that either carries other Mexican wine or those from L.A. Cetto. Any suggestions?

I know ACE Beverage had a Mexican Barbera (I think) that used to be poured by the glass at Andale. I was actually pretty tasty and under $10 if I remember correctly. Joe or Chris might want to chime in on exactly what it was.

Oddly enough, we just had a caterer request for some Mexican wine last week, and the three different suppliers who each used to carry some now no longer do. As best as I can tell, there is no distributor for any Mexican wine in the District at this time. Might want to try Maryland (non-Montgomery County) or Virginia.

Does Oyamel not serve Mexican wine at its new location? If they do, they get it from someone, somewhere.

You're right, they do serve two Mexican wines, a Sauvignon Blanc and Tempranillo from Santo Tomas - in the past I've only drank Tequila there. I will have to contact them to find their distributer. Thanks to everyone for their input.

<bump>

was watching an episode of Rick Bayless' cooking show over the weekend, which focused on the Mexican wine region in Baja...at the very least they have some beautiful looking wineries.

And of course DR already has a thread on the subject...Anyone run across any Mexican wine in the District lately?