Restaurants On Duke Street (Route 236) between Landmark and Old Town Alexandria

Just bought a condo offf Seminary road and will be moving shortly, I'm not going to be far from Del ray but wanted to know if anyone knows good food to be found near Duke street between Old Town and Landmark, or thereabouts

you can always go to Restaurant Eve for good food in Old Town or Duke Kebab is tasty too corner of little river turnpike and beaurugardsgjdslksfd street ( haha it is funny I cant even spell this street name , I`ve been living couple years right next to it)

Here's a list:

La Casa - in the the plaza where the new Harris Teeter (Foxchase?) is going in, good cheap family run sandwich/pizza joint, closed Sundays.

Shooter McGee's - nothing outstanding here, but burgers and wings are decent, has a patio that over looks the parking lot but not bad for lunch or drinks. Local crowd.

Dancing Peppers - cheap mexican...again nothing great but good place to go for margaritas and tacos

Table Talk (assuming still there) - good place for Sat/Sun brunch..eggs bacon etc.

Mediterrean Cafe and Bakery - in the Home Depot Plaza, excellent source for olive oils, vingars, imported groceries, desserts, excellent fresh made pita, yogurt, prepped food, has a kebab/sandwich counter for good cheap food. You must go here.

The plaza that has the Giant grocery store has a bunch of asian ethnic places...again all cheap and serve decent but not great food.

You've not going to find great fine dining in the area, but you will find there are enough inexepnsive mom and pop places that have several good dishes to keep you happy and coming back....

Mediterrean Cafe and Bakery - in the Home Depot Plaza, excellent source for olive oils, vingars, imported groceries, desserts, excellent fresh made pita, yogurt, prepped food, has a kebab/sandwich counter for good cheap food. You must go here.

I just went here about a month ago while getting a car serviced, good falafel plate and very cheap. They had a tremendous selection of international foodstuffs, a friend of my sous chef was very enthused about the danish butter and preserves.

I would third or fourth Cafe Monti. Nothing pretentious about it, just good food. Also second Mediterranean Cafe. If you are on Seminary, just hop over to King St. and try Atlantis for good (not great) pizza, and subs.

I would avoid Mango Mikes like the plague, the food is mostly fried, and not very well at that. The few times I had tried it, I had the feeling that they were hoping that they would be able to expand this into a large chain.

Just bought a condo offf Seminary road and will be moving shortly, I'm not going to be far from Del ray but wanted to know if anyone knows good food to be found near Duke street between Old Town and Landmark, or thereabouts

Since you said "thereabouts" I'm going to suggest that you head West on Duke Street and make your first left after you go under 395, where you'll find Hee Been, a Korean restaurant. They remodeled last summer to offer a large buffet selection of high quality food. I'm pretty sure that they still offer the full menu as well. The interior is fairly upscale with lots of polished wood.

Mediterrean Cafe and Bakery is, as others have mentioned, a gem. In addition to the huge selection of olives, olive oil, hot sauces, and dry goods, they have a lot of meat and cheese-filled pastries that you can take home. I like the zatar "pizza" from the take-out department.

Also in the "thereabouts" category is TemptAsian -- on Little River just west of Landmark/395. Same shopping center as Hee Been. Great Chinese food (see other thread).

And, of course, I'll also vouch for Mediterranean Cafe (shish tawook for $4.50 is one of the best deals in town) and Cafe Monti (I lived within walking distance for several years -- rumor has it that one can bring his/her own wine too...).

Also in the "thereabouts" category is TemptAsian -- on Little River just west of Landmark/395.  Same shopping center as Hee Been.  Great Chinese food (see other thread).

And, of course, I'll also vouch for Mediterranean Cafe (shish tawook for $4.50 is one of the best deals in town) and Cafe Monti (I lived within walking distance for several years -- rumor has it that one can bring his/her own wine too...).

There is (was?) also a place on Van Dorn in a strip mall right near the supermarket (Safeway) called Annette's Barbeque Heaven, which is really cheap and pretty darn tasty. Edited by Keithstg

Grover is spot on with Yamazoto. (Caveat, I haven't been in about a year) I used to live in the neighborhood and stopped in on a regular basis. Wife and I were very happy with the sushi/sashimi and we have been sushi bar denizens in several major cities. They didn't have the thai when we used to go there, but if they've kept up their general quality I would have no hesitation ordering it.

BD

Grover is spot on with Yamazoto. (Caveat, I haven't been in about a year) I used to live in the neighborhood and stopped in on a regular basis. Wife and I were very happy with the sushi/sashimi and we have been sushi bar denizens in several major cities. They didn't have the thai when we used to go there, but if they've kept up their general quality I would have no hesitation ordering it.

BD

While Yamazato lost their senior sushi chef, the sous-chef took over and there was no noticeable difference. The addition of Thai food only enhanced the Japanese side of the menu. I had some drunken noodles the last time I was there and they were some of the best I've ever had.

While Yamazato lost their senior sushi chef, the sous-chef took over and there was no noticeable difference.

I ate there quite a bit before the addition of the Thai dishes and the loss of Mr. Mitsutoshi Shinmoto (the sushi chef referenced above). But although the menu and the types of (featured) fish listed on the whiteboard were not lost when the menu choices were expanded, I felt Yamazato had slipped back into the the ranks of mediocre Japanese restaurants. I attributed this to the missing Mr. Shinmoto.

With grover's and Escoffier's recommendation of the food, however, I will try it again and report back. I admit that I might have been overly critical because I enjoyed my brief interactions with Mr. Shinmoto on a few occasions at the sushi bar.

Does anyone know if Mr. Shinmoto is still working in this area? I hesitate to ask the people still at the restaurant because of the implicit criticism that they might perceive.

Does anyone know if Mr. Shinmoto is still working in this area? I hesitate to ask the people still at the restaurant because of the implicit criticism that they might perceive.

Don't be concerned about asking, we asked Steve (the owner)...Mr. Shinmoto is still somewhere in the area (or was when we asked which was just after he left). Steve has made every effort to ensure the food is as good or better than when Mr. S. was there.

Konnichi-wah...

I might have been overly critical because I enjoyed my brief interactions with Mr. Shinmoto on a few occasions at the sushi bar.

I did not know that he left. We always did our best to sit in front of him at the sushi bar(practically every time out of the dozens we were there) and were very pleased with his skills and his company. I would still go back but with a little sadness now.

BD

As I now see was mentioned earlier, if you're willing to go a bit further west, just onto Little River Turnpike, there is TemptAsian---see thread for more info at this link. It you go down Van Dorn to Pickett St. from Landmark, there is another Chinese place, a Charlie Chaing, which also bears investigation. Note that this place is utterly unlike other Charlie Chaings. AFAIK, all CC's are under different ownership, and this particular one has a serious Chinese/Sichuan menu and they know what they are doing. But you have to ask for the Chinese menu (same is true at TemptAsian). On your way down Van Dorn there is an Italian place called Savino's which has interesting pizza, said to be made by and reflect their Morrocan chef. Worth a shot.

Someone earlier mentioned Annette's BBQ. IMO, not too good. But I second Sthitch's mention of Atlantis--good pizza, which is rare in these parts. I've only had the pizza there, but I'd bet the hot sandwiches and comfort foods would be good there too--it just looks like that kind of place.

On your way down Van Dorn there is an Italian place called Savino's which has interesting pizza, said to be made by and reflect their Morrocan chef.  Worth a shot.

But I second Sthitch's mention of Atlantis--good pizza, which is rare in these parts.  I've only had the pizza there, but I'd bet the hot sandwiches and comfort foods would be good there too--it just looks like that kind of place.

Savino's wasn't impressive the last time we dined there. Nothing stands out in my memory that would make me go back as a special ocassion. Would be all right for a casual night out.

Atlantis has very good Gyro's and other sandwiches in addition to the good pizza.

I felt Yamazato had slipped back into the the ranks of mediocre Japanese restaurants. I attributed this to the missing Mr. Shinmoto.

When I ordered spicy tuna handroll I felt the same as you did. I loved his temaki.

Please let us know about your tasting the sushi after Chef Shinmoto left. I would like to hear from you, Tanigawa san.

Edited by grover

Please let us know about your tasting the sushi after Chef Shinmoto left.

Well, I ate at Yamazato last night with friends and imho the impressions from just after Mr. Shinmoto left were confirmed. I had the chirashi special; friends had the sushi deluxe, sashimi special, and a teriyaki dish. So we did not have any "a la carte" sushi, but I had liked both the set dinners and individual sushi/sashimi at Yamazato so the fish on the table seem to be adequate for comparison. The four people working behind the sushi bar were busy, but I did not see the second sushi chef from before (who I had seen after Mr. Shinmoto left). I don't know if Mr. Shinmoto's assistant is still working there, but just absent last night.

Freshness of the fish was good (3/5) and prices are still reasonable. I would say quality (i.e., skill of the sushi chef) was okay (2/5). Lack of interesting tastes and use of filler (e.g., cooked ebi, tamago, surimi) was imho the biggest difference between now and the past. The whiteboard had bluefin toro, salmon, and albacore from what I remember; previous visits had a more extensive list and interesting shellfish. The rice (seasoned and plain) was not at its freshest (2/5). My conclusion from the two visits after the change in sushi chefs was confirmed: mediocre (but still better than the majority of Japanese-American restaurants) and a significant step down than before.

My friends had brought their 17-month old infant and felt it was a family-friendly environment. The service was attentive and the manager (Steve?) was gracious. My friends, who live in suburban NJ, thought the meal was very good. So, on the positive side, my friends (who I suspect are less critical about Japanese food) liked the restaurant a lot! The cooked appetizers (shrimp and vegetable tempura, and age dashi tofu) were excellent (4/5). I would still recommend Yamazato as one of the better Japanese restaurants locally, but not the same experience as the past. :lol:

While there may be some changes in the sushi, food from the kitchen is improved.

The quality of sukiyaki and oodon hasn't changed. It is still very high quality.

I did not see the second sushi chef from before (who I had seen after Mr. Shinmoto left). I don't know if Mr. Shinmoto's assistant is still working there, but just absent last night.

There used to be three Japanese sushi chefs working, Mr. Shinmoto, his assistant and a younger assistant.

His older assistant was working there for a while after Mr. Shinmoto left, I think they had kept the quality until then. One day, I couldn't see him and I asked the younger one what happened. He told me that the assistant is getting married but he doesn't know if he is going to come back. I was disappointed. The assistant knew I like giant clam nigiri(a la carte) so he used to give me the nigiri with a small side dish.

Now, it is obvious his assistant left and I guess the younger one left, too.

While there may be some changes in the sushi, food from the kitchen is improved.

The quality of sukiyaki and oodon hasn't changed. It is still very high quality.

I have to agree. The addition of the Thai food selections was a good move as well. I've been quite happy with the Thai food I've eaten there. I do miss the spicy tuna temaki however. That's one sushi item that has changed and isn't as good as it was. It's still good, just not memorable. I introduced a lot of friends to temaki using that spicy tuna and I still could, but it seems to be missing something. Reminds me of the spicy tuna temaki I had in Buckhead at a (Chinese) Japanese restaurant. It looked like temaki, it tasted like temaki, but it wasn't quite temaki. Je ne sais quoi...

Edited by Escoffier

In the process of making my regular Thursday circuit of Alexandria and Ballston (Old Town to Ballston back to Dove & Duke and then Whole Foods), I passed Kenny's Barbecue (next to the Dunkin' Donuts, just west of Telegraph Road). It's closed, with big "For Lease" signs on the door and the signpost. I wonder if another barbecue place might go in there, since the smoker is already there?

You might give Tempo a try.  It has been around a long time and seems to be a neighborhood favorite.  I ate there once many years ago and have no recollection of what I had or whether it was any good.

I like Tempo a lot - the owners are very genuine and nice - the place is ok on ambience, but the food is clean, well done, and whille maybe not innovative, definitely yummy.

I haven't been there in over a year though - maybe things have changed?

For other suggestions in Alexandria, check out Finn & Porter in the Alexandria Hilton. This place is a hidden gem. Great quality sushi, steaks, seafood. Beautiful decor. They even have outdoor dining in spring/summer.

(Remember to bring your parking ticket to the hostess for validation.)

For other suggestions in Alexandria, check out Finn & Porter in the Alexandria Hilton.  This place is a hidden gem. Great quality sushi, steaks, seafood.  Beautiful decor.  They even have outdoor dining in spring/summer. 

(Remember to bring your parking ticket to the hostess for validation.)

You forgot lousy service, misplaced orders, wrong wines delivered and sushi that had been sitting around a bit too long.

You forgot lousy service, misplaced orders, wrong wines delivered and sushi that had been sitting around a bit too long.

Under cooked artichokes, not so fresh raw fish, over cooked lobster ... I could go on and on. My wife and I really wanted to love Finn & Porter but could never be convinced to even like it. Unless someone can convince me that it has changed significantly in the past six months I will not return.

In the process of making my regular Thursday circuit of Alexandria and Ballston (Old Town to Ballston back to Dove & Duke and then Whole Foods), I passed Kenny's Barbecue (next to the Dunkin' Donuts, just west of Telegraph Road).  It's closed, with big "For Lease" signs on the door and the signpost. I wonder if another barbecue place might go in there, since the smoker is already there?

I saw the same sign today. I am surprised that it took this long, I don't think that I ever remember seeing a car in the parking lot while they were open (on weekend mornings they served as overflow parking for the Dunkin Donuts next door).

I get where you're coming from with the wow factor, but even still I don't know that I need it every meal. I've eaten at Chicken Out (which is unfortunate as we're close to a Peruvian chicken place that's pretty good in Alexandria but my GF thinks it's a bit sketchy, which it is, and it doesn't have the side items she likes such as Mac & Cheese) and Panera more times that I can count because they're convenient. At this point I doubt there's anything on either menu that could wow me as I've had the entire menu a number of times. But I still go back because the food is decent and not horribly priced. No wow, doubt there ever was for either place, but suitably done, quick, and easy.
Don you can move this or make it a separate topic or whatever, but this reminds me that there are a lot of us who live in Alexandria. Alexandria has a few great restaurants, a number of good restaurants and a bunch of average restaurants. We really should start (or update) a Eating in Alexandria forum. Now that Brad-Lee no longer has a Chicken Out, for good chicken I go to the Skyline area for Edies or the other places on the left side of the road. For quick (no wow factor at all) I go to the new sushi place, for good food I go to Majestic or Eve...I rarely go to Shirlington and that may be a mistake on my part. T.H.A.I. Shirlington was my first foray to Shirlington in over 2 years. I ususally don't bother because parking is a pain and a lot of the places are overpriced for value received. However, I'm willing to be convinced that it is worthwhile going there (both in quality and value). I'm not sure just how much sense this really makes, but I think that as Alexandrians we can point others to the great places that are here (damn! I sound like the Chamber of Commerce for Alexandria).

Bradlee definitely still has a Chicken Out, unless it was closed in the last week. There's always a decent number of people in there, so I don't see how it would close though. One restaurant we do miss is Tacuba Cantina. I doubt that it was authentic at all (I honestly don't know what authentic Mexican food is so I can't really comment), but it was pretty tasty. It closed pretty quickly though, which is a bit disturbing. :unsure:

The place across from Edy's is called "The Chicken Place" I'm pretty certain. It's the chicken place I go if I can convince my GF she doesn't need mashed potatoes and/or mac & cheese with her chicken :-) Is Edy's decent? I've never been in since I just go to The Chicken Place if I'm over there, or Chicken Out if I can't convince my GF to go to The Chicken Place.

This is definitely starting to stray away from T.H.A.I. and towards "eating in Alexandria" :-)

Bradlee definitely still has a Chicken Out, unless it was closed in the last week. There's always a decent number of people in there, so I don't see how it would close though. One restaurant we do miss is Tacuba Cantina. I doubt that it was authentic at all (I honestly don't know what authentic Mexican food is so I can't really comment), but it was pretty tasty. It closed pretty quickly though, which is a bit disturbing. :unsure:

The place across from Edy's is called "The Chicken Place" I'm pretty certain. It's the chicken place I go if I can convince my GF she doesn't need mashed potatoes and/or mac & cheese with her chicken :-) Is Edy's decent? I've never been in since I just go to The Chicken Place if I'm over there, or Chicken Out if I can't convince my GF to go to The Chicken Place.

This is definitely starting to stray away from T.H.A.I. and towards "eating in Alexandria" :-)

It may have been Tacuba Cantina. I ate there once and it was decent. I spent a fair amount of time in Houston so I ate their version of Mexican food and TC wasn't it, but it was decent. Edy's is pretty good (judging by the number of people who are there at all hours). They have a really juicy 1/4 and 1/2 chicken.

I will have to try the Chicken Place just to compare it with the chicken place in Arlington (whose name I can't remember).

Well, I wanted a Eating In Alexandria forum, I guess this is it. Thanks Don...

I will have to try the Chicken Place just to compare it with the chicken place in Arlington (whose name I can't remember).

Well, I wanted a Eating In Alexandria forum, I guess this is it. Thanks Don...

I believe the place you are thinking of is El Pollo Rico, which is supposed to be one of the best Peruvian chicken places in the area. I also haven't made it over there, but mean to sometime or another.

Edy's is one of the things that I miss most about moving from that area. We used to get the half chicken and yucca at least once a week. I like to combine the green and the white sauce. Yummy!

Quick story:

Jlock and I had to get married officially a couple days before our formal wedding for various reasons. But, it was a hectic week, with relatives in town, planning for our "real" wedding, getting ready for our honeymoon, and of course, I had law school final exams that week. And, it was the week before Christmas and unexpectedly freezing.

So, we squeezed our wedding in on the Wednesday afternoon right after my last final. The woman who was to marry us, Judge Butts, had a long-standing tradition of marrying everyone underneath a tree in Fort Ward park, which is right near where we used to live and, coincidentally, Edy's chicken. We were running late and starving, so on the way we picked up a chicken sandwich from Edy's to share. But, as usual, the line was really long, so we had to wait until more chickens were cooked. By the time we got our sandwich, we were late to our wedding. So, we sped to the park, where we were led by Judge Butts (along with my mother and my brother's best friend) through the snow to a tree deep within the park. It was freezing, and we were still starving.

This is how Jlock and I ended up thinking more about our warm Edy's chicken sandwich than our vows during our wedding ceremony. Once we were finally married, we ran back to the car and devoured the sandwhich in the parking lot. It was one of the best sandwiches I have ever eaten (but, still I would recommend the 1/2 chicken with yuca).

It may have been Tacuba Cantina. I ate there once and it was decent. Edy's is pretty good (judging by the number of people who are there at all hours). They have a really juicy 1/4 and 1/2 chicken.
It was Tacuba Cantina that closed.

I love Edy's :unsure: and have been eating there for close to 15 years, starting way back when they were in the place that now houses the Chicken Place. The prices have close to doubled since then, but that 1/4 white with yuca (or lately rice) is still a delicious value for under $6.00 - the meat is always juicy and the skin is always crispy and flavorful. They're a great small business success story and popular with all sorts of people from us office-dwellers across the street at Skyline to the large Latino families to the Fairfax County cops.

Lackadaisi, I loved your Edy's wedding day story (and personally, I like to use the green sauce for dipping the chicken and the white sauce for the yuca ;) ).

That doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. I don't think that location is larger than the one they're already in.
I believe it is larger. The current location is very narrow, and has a really crappy entrance. The former Tacuba space was wider (I think about half again as wide).

Many people have already mentioned Yamazato, but I wanted to add to the praise. In my previous life, before I became a full time Gelato-ologist, I worked in the same complex. I ate there about 3 times a week and I have yet to find better sushi anywhere, and I have searched high & low.

I strongly recommend the spicy scallop roll, spicy salmon roll, eskimo shrimp roll, fatty salmon sashimi, gold dragon roll, spicy ahi tuna and pretty much whatever else i ordered was exceptional.

Right before I left, they started with the Thai food and the Tom Ka soup was amazing!

I still make the drive from Georgetown at least once a week just for a rendezvous.

Attention I-395 commuters: I found a Chick Fil-A in the food court at Landmark Mall!

The other night I found myself driving down Duke Street, randomly checking out restaurants. I walked into Hana Tokyo (in the same shopping center as Harris Teeter), and it looked like a pretty standard hibachi place, nothing I'd want for carryout, definitely not the sushi.

So I walked into La Casa, in the same shopping center. I thought it might have been Mexican, but the menu was primarily Italian, with pizza featured prominently. However, what caught my eye were a few Greek dishes. Yep, it looked like a Greek-owned pizza parlor.

But as I sat and waited for my food, I noticed the "Managers on Duty" sign: and everyone was named Monis. Neurons started firing in the back of my brain, and I vaguely recalled that Johnny's family owns a restaurant in the area. Sure enough, his mom took my order, and his brother Demetri brought out the food (and yes, girls, he looks a lot like Johnny!) - I now remember meeting him at Bistrot du Coin a couple of years ago.

The biggest shocker of all was when Demetri pronounced his name "mo NEECE." Eh? I've heard this name spoken dozens of times by many different people, and everyone has always said "MO niss."

Not a culinary destination; just a super-friendly family-run restaurant, open since 1978. Absolutely the biggest surprise of my week.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Attention I-395 commuters: I found a Chick Fil-A in the food court at Landmark Mall

Don were you injured or in a traumatic State??? Landmark Mall is the biggest pit on earth next to Springfield Mall..My God Man..Save yourself :(

Here is my personal opinions on a few on this strip of real estate:

Shooter Mgees-safe for a good burger and beer

La Casa- simple, decent, deli style affordabl fare

Mango Mike's- Crap-anyway you look at it, Crap :blink:

Tempo- lived here my whole life an never been in

Fudruckrs-Great Bread and a burger

Valantino's-Across from MIA CHangs old stomping ground-Very good Pizza, lots of options, some of which are a bit too much for me, but the best pizza in a 4 mile radius from there

Duke KABOB- ALWAYS A WINNER

Cafe Monti- yes Austria was there 10 years ago, but great bread, decent pizza, and simple but tasty Rigatoni and spaghetti-which one could do better at home, but let them do it for the 8 bucks and less hassle

Generous Georges- you should go at least once a year to keep a bit of Variety in the book, Decent pizza all other stuff avoid

Table Talk- Excellent for Breakfast, Scrapple that Rocks, :(

I would recommend Duke Kabob House -- consistantly good Afgan kabobs..not on the spicy side, but tasty juicy kabobs which come in good portions.

This is a short drive from Duke Street, but if you interested in authentic Korean BBQ

YOU Must try " Han Sung Oak Restaurant."

Absolutely the best korean BBQ in the area. Locally owned and always packed with koreans, which means, they love it too. I trypically get the beef combo dish which comes w/ the fixins'. You cook the meat on a hibachi type grill marinated w/ it's own juices and different sauces. Once the meat cooks (usually 2 minutes), you wrap it up in a cabbage leave w/ various topping . Excellent food..

Address is

6341 Columbia Pike,

Falls Church

I would recommend Duke Kabob House -- consistantly good Afgan kabobs..not on the spicy side, but tasty juicy kabobs which come in good portions.

This is a short drive from Duke Street, but if you interested in authentic Korean BBQ

YOU Must try " Han Sung Oak Restaurant."

Absolutely the best korean (sic) BBQ in the area. Locally owned and always packed with koreans (sic), which means, they love it too. I trypically get the beef combo dish which comes w/ the fixins'. You cook the meat on a hibachi type grill marinated w/ it's own juices and different sauces. Once the meat cooks (usually 2 minutes), you wrap it up in a cabbage leave w/ various topping . Excellent food..

Address is

6341 Columbia Pike,

Falls Church

You must have missed the $20 Tuesday that Grover led at Han Sung Oak last year (or the one at Gom Ba Woo or any of the others). You might check the $20 Tuesday forum for the upcoming Korean dinner this Tuesday night. You'll be amazed at the variety of Korean foods (not just bul gogi and kal-bi but other really great food as well)