The 2005 RAMMY Awards

FunnyJohn

The Hoi Poloi are eligible to vote for three categories of the RAMMYS: Neighborhood Gathering Spot of the Year, Power Spot of the Year, and Hottest Bar Scene.

Some of our favorite places are in the running so go VOTE

Oh, and you can also write-in your choice for Favorite Restaurant

Hopefully they're doing more than just that.  I didn't give them my real number the first time, and unless they're keeping track by IP (like most polls), it won't be so hard to do it again!  :lol:

If you want your vote to count, I suggest using your correct phone number. They may have technology that allows them to match names with phone numbers.

The phone numbers (assuming they can be verified) also keep the out of area potential voters from meddling, I guess. This is on the world-wide web and i would hope that the people running this don't want outsiders deciding this, having made it open to local consumers.

If you want your vote to count, I suggest using your correct phone number.  They may have technology that allows them to match names with phone numbers.

Yeah...the thing about that is.... :lol:

Signed,

J. Albert Samuelson

(Alrightalrightalright...fine! I'll do it again.)

I note that the Post erroneously asserts that "The public will decide the winners in three award categories, including Chef of the Year." The Chef of the Year is not one of the categories open to voting by regular folks.

Thought someone might have posted this before now...but I'll go ahead. It's hard to know who's out there at these events... (maybe there should be a secret handshake?)

Went to the RAMMY preview party/fashion show night before last. They had blue cocktails from each of the nominated Hottest Bars, and hd'o 's from the best restaurant nominees. Also, very fun, some of the nominated chefs provided "entertainment" in modeling black-tie fashions to get everyone in the mood. Lots of catcalls from the audience...

Had a chance to catch up with Fabio, just back from Beard awards night before. He and Cathal were pal-ing around. I think Fabio was a bit punchy, but maybe that's his normal self. I've only talked to him at the restaurant, more staid surrounding.

Bar-wise here were the offerings: all were in pretty martini glasses, except Indebleu,served in balloon wine glass)

Indebleu: "BleuJack" (Southern comfort, Jack, Blue curacao, 7-up) on ice

Local 16: "Blue Lotus" pretty yummy concoction of Stoli Vanilla, Blue c, lychee puree, straight up in martini glass)

Helix: "Yellow polka dot bikini" (bacardi limon, blue c, shaker strained over a lemon head candy, very new wave looking)

Harry's TapRoom: "Harry's Sunshine" (stoli orange, splash sour mix, splash cran j, splash 7-up)

Ritz Carlton Georgetown: "Smurf Berry martini" (stoli razb, stoli strazb, blue c, splash cream, blueberry garnish on a pick, like an olive)

On the menu (here's the good part!)

Maestro: white asparagus mousse with red wine sauce drizzled on top, served in very cool oversized thick square shotglass, w/ demitasse spoon -INCREDIBLE

1789: Salmon rillettes on crispy baguette slices - DELICIOUS

2941: (had three, so I hung around the longest!)

1) salmon gravlax with pickled ramps and creme fraiche, (all mixed together) served on taro root chip - WONDERFUL

2) cured & smoked duck w/ lemon pear preserve, whole grain mustard vinaigrette, served on half endive leaf - pretty darn good

3) roquefort mousse studded with rehydrated dried cherry bits, rolled in very finely chopped pistachios - unusual, but also very good

Equinox: very sad little salmon tea sandwiches, dried out and tasteless,

but thankkfully also some yummy mini chocolate macarons :lol:

Tosca: minced lamb and black olive strudel (horrible and dry -- what were they thinking? Did anyone not taste them before they were served?)

In the fashion show, Ris, Marou, Bryan Voltaggio, Rob Klink, Cathal and Fabio modeled, among others. Fabio was quite the show-off (I have pictures!) and so was Cathal. These guys clean up quite well!!! Fun to see them outside of their element, and even more fun to see them trying to fit into a very different element (doing the catwalk like a model!)

Mie n Yu? I mean, they'd definitely be a contender for best bathrooms in DC, but best restaurant? I call shenaningans.

Where can I get a list of all the winners?

K

NEIGHBORHOOD GATHERING PLACE:Cafe Saint-Ex

HOTTEST BAR SCENE: IndeBleu

POWER SPOT: Cafe Milano

FAVORITE RESTAURANT: based on public input--no nominees:MIE N YU

The judges panel decided these awards:

NEW RESTAURANT: CityZen

FINE DINING: Ristorante Tosca

INFORMAL DINING: Johnny's Half Shell

CHEF of the YEAR: Fabio Trabocchi (Maestro)

EMPLOYEE: Efrain Velasco (Andale)

PASTRY CHEF: Chris Kujula (Kinkead's)

WINE & BEVERAGE PROGRAM: Maestro

MANAGER: Tricia Kominsky (Poste)

RISING CULINARY STAR:Cathal Armstrong (Restaurant Eve)

WHERE MAGAZINE AWARD:Mimi's American Bistro

Edited by Mark Slater

Mie n Yu? I mean, they'd definitely be a contender for best bathrooms in DC, but best restaurant? I call shenaningans.

Where can I get a list of all the winners?

K

Seem to be a little slow in updating their website -- no winners posted yet but click

here later today. I heard Indebleu made "hottest bar scene." Cafe Milano "Power Spot". Those are the only ones I can recall. None of the establishments I voted for won :lol:

Edited by FunnyJohn

INFORMAL DINING: Johnny's Half Shell

Am I missing something here? While good, I have never been that impressed by my meals there.

Maybe it was discussed up thread, but how do places get nominated for these awards?

Am I missing something here?  While good, I have never been that impressed by my meals there.

Maybe it was discussed up thread, but how do places get nominated for these awards?

By an opaque process inside the RAMW org. But it's awfully decent of them to allow us mere customers :lol: to actually select the winner in a few of the categories.

Mie N Yu???? WHAT IN THE NAME OF THE ARSE????

I can't believe this. Must go gorge self on Palena burger tonight to recover from this massive injustice. Cannot effing believe this. This, as they say in Guyanese parlance, are Events of a Dubious Nature.

If I had relatives from the provinces, I would take them to Mie N Yu for a wee tour to impress them with their bathrooms of splendor. But I would not allow them to eat there. Not in the bathroom, not in the dining room. Cheeky bastards. That's why people think we are a cowhick ignorant food town. Because donkeys like MNY are allowed to be known for their food.

Edited by Nadya

The guys (Chef Cathal and Todd) at Eve looked like they had been "shot at and missed and sh*t at and hit" when they dragged their sagging arses into work yesterday evening at around 6:30.  A little celebrating the evening before, perhaps?

There was a wee after party at the Bistrot du Coin. Most of us losers were there. There was a huge shout when Cathal and crew walked in. They were the only ones who won there.