Don Antonio, Hell's Kitchen - Neapolitan Pizza by Roberto Caporuscio and his Mentor, Antonio Starita

Motorino in the East Village and Keste in the West Village are hot spots.

The initial Manhattan pizza recommendations from Jon focused on Motorino & Kesté. Today Ankur gave up Don Antonio – the newly opened collaboration of Roberto Caporuscio, from Kesté, and Antonio Sarita, his mentor from Naples’ Pizzeria Starita a Materdei.

Based on Ankur’s enthusiastic rec [with an emphasis that Antonio would only be in NY for a few weeks] along with updates & videos from Slice, I’m pushing Don Antonio to the front the line for my upcoming NYC trek.

Anyone been in the few weeks they’ve been open?

Don Antonio

309 West 50th Street, New York NY 10019 (near Eighth Ave.; map)

646-719-1043

Initial menu: Don-Antonio-by-Starita-80800788-MENU.pdf

I just finished a big project and am now circling back to post about my visit to Don Antonio.

The restaurant is only a block west of the Gershwin Theatre’s stage door and makes for quick drop-bys when either in mid-town or upper Manhattan.

Here's a photo of my bar-served Pistacchio e Salsiccia [described as fresh pistachio pesto, sausage, homemade mozzarella, pecorino romano, basil, extra virgin olive oil]:

post-226-0-59561900-1332084795_thumb.jpg

The pistachio pesto is really subtle, but pushes the sausage into a deeper, richer flavor.

This visit I had time to walk from my digs in the UES to Don Antonio’s and then over to J.B. Prince on 31st between Madison & Park Ave South for “sharpies” and to ogle their wares. I like walking in Manhattan with a cool destination in mind.

Next visit, I’m going for the Girella [prosciutto cotto, grape tomatoes and arugula, with fresh ricotta and homemade mozzarella filled crust] detailed in the Daily Slice, but better photographed in the Starita website gallery:

phoca_thumb_l_IMG_07351.JPG