Chicken Parm Sandwiches

Interspersed among all the great restaurant-specific topics under DC Restaurants and Dining are a smattering of topical food threads. I won't link to them here but "ice cream sandwiches" was a recent one. "Milkshakes" yet another I started several months back.

Before starting this topic, I checked to be sure it didn't already exist. Sure enough, there is a topic under shopping/cooking for chicken parm sandwiches but that was more narrowly focused since just about sandwiches. And, it was about how to craft a great one at home versus where to procure a great one made by a pro (or at least someone whom you pay for the privilege).

So, as one who grew up in the northeast with a great love for the Italian American classic (sandwich and otherwise), I though it deserved its own topic. A topic that welcomes any and all thoughts so long as about chicken parm. With thanks to ktmoomau for the inspiration :)

Oh, and aside from the Italian Store version about which ktmoomau wrote, I'll also throw the non-sandwich a la Lucia (in Alexandria--didn't post about that previously so no link) version I had last month and really enjoyed. Simple and generous portion of quality chicken breast hammered thin, lightly breaded and baked under the broiler/salamander with a very flavorful and tangy tomato sauce and cheese (can't recall whether provolone, mozz or other though realize that's as important as anything in assessing/discussing the merits of chicken parm).

Final thought: when I was a kid growing up in the northeast, my parents used to take me to a place where the chicken parm dinner was served with bone-in pieces of chicken. A couple legs, maybe a breast, some pasta, sauce, definitely mozzarella (and absolutely not bufala). Loved that but haven't come across it 'round these parts. Where else to get interesting, different, updated or just really good chicken parm? A dish perfect with a great milkshake by the way; way better than the more talked about shake and freakin' burger if you ask me :D

The best Chicken Parm I've had in years -- if you like the OLD SCHOOL -- is at the Palm. It's exactly what you're looking for. But it's like $32 and huge, and I sort-of have an agenda, so my recommendation comes with a disclaimer and a tip. The disclaimer is that I would know nothing about the Chicken Parm at the Palm if I wasn't turned on to it by my girlfriend, who works there. And the tip is that if you go to the bar and order a half portion, which they'll gladly do and which makes it about the size of a normal dinner, it costs $16. Seriously, a half order is the size of a normal dinner. If you skip the Spaghetti, which is just overpriced Spaghetti, you'll leave happy.

• Like 1

I second the chicken parmesan at A La Lucia. Much as I would like to try other things on their menu, I can't help but to order the chicken parmesan once again. It is juicy, not dry, and reminiscent of all the great chicken parmesans I had growing up in Brooklyn. It is a big piece and I end up making a sandwich out of the leftovers.

I'm embarrassed to admit it here, but I remember really enjoying the chicken parm at Maggiano's in Tyson's (sure it is the same everywhere) a few years ago. Another spot where the portion is obscenely large.

Nothing to be embarassed about and... that's the way it should be! If it ain't flopping over the plate, well...

My favorite chicken parm is at That's Amore in Rockville. It's got a really nice crispy breading, and just the right amount of chunky tomato sauce. It often tends to be a touch over cooked, but its such comfort food, I still order it every time.

Haven't tried the parm at Maggaianos, but their Saltimoboca is really good - more for the flavor than the quality of the chicken. But still good.

Any updates on best chicken parm/sandwich form? I think it's one of my favorites. Have had really good ones in NJ/NY, but don't really have any go to place in DMV, other than a place by work that's pretty good.

Oooh oooh.  Haven't had one in a while.  Now I'm hungry.   Chicken parm, veal parm (which is better).  I see its been 2 years since I've been to Pasta Plus in Laurel, but after going there, commenting and reading the thread I quote Justin Bittner on their veal parm from 2013....

Clams with white wine appetizer and veal parm with pasta side entree. And zabaglione for dessert. It's probably what I'll ask for if I'm ever on death row. 

Hey from Alexandria its not a terrible ride...into DC out NY Ave, hit Rte 1 North and go to Laurel.  As for me...I'll check out the Italian Store, its convenient.

Any updates on best chicken parm/sandwich form? I think it's one of my favorites. Have had really good ones in NJ/NY, but don't really have any go to place in DMV, other than a place by work that's pretty good.

Stopped at Earl's Courthouse/Clarendon today and saw Steve Dugan the owner.  Put in a plug for a chicken parm sandwich. ( He responded with "good idea" but maybe he was just humoring me)  ;)   I offered to be a tester.    If I hear he is going to test it, I'll dm you Simul.   Most of the sandwiches Earl's puts out are better than excellent.

• Like 1

Damnit people, the discussion should be about a chicken parm hero!  Oh, sorry, my apologies.  My Queens, NY soul spoke for me.  And I actually had a delicious one at G Sandwich.  Non-traditional version with the lemon zest but still ...

Yep, I had a Chicken Parm at G Sandwich (thanks to a recommendation from Mark Kuller), and it was fantastic.

Fortunately our office is ordering in lunch a bit.  The staff chooses the place and I'll order what ever looks good.  We are hitting up places now that include chicken parm sandwiches, and I'll keep trying  and testing.  I could easily do 2 or 3 chicken parm sandwiches a week for a month before it grows old.

So far:  Mom's Pizza in Arlington, at South Glebe and Columbia Pike.  I've never been there.  Didn't see it referenced in DR.  Per their website they have been open over 50 years!!!!!

Sad to say:   Terrible, at least for takeout.  Poorly wrapped.  Everything on the sandwich slipped off to the side.  Nothing memorable, not the chicken the cheese, the sauce  (really weak sauce) the bread.  Pretty inexpensive though.  But Mom's has been around for over 50 years so it must have other redeeming qualities.

drum roll.....--> Cheese Cake Factory in Clarendon.  This is good.  Hey folks, while perusing the takeout menu they let you know they offer 250 items FRESH on the menu!!!!!

Large chicken parm.  Hard roll.  Big portion.  It came with a good bit of extra sauce in the container.  I like this sauce.  Its a bit complex .    Chicken, cheese, nice batter on the chicken.   An All around  good chicken parm.  Its been years if not over a decade since I've eaten at CheeseCake Factory but I certainly have had quite a few meals at different locations.  What held true long ago, holds true today.   A lot of food for the price and I think this version is on the plus side.  (Now I have a hankering to order a half portion at the Palm per the advice upthread.)  

(hopefully the experiment to be continued..........)

• Like 2

So, as one who grew up in the northeast with a great love for the Italian American classic (sandwich and otherwise), I though it deserved its own topic. A topic that welcomes any and all thoughts so long as about chicken parm. With thanks to ktmoomau for the inspiration :)

Trader Joes has a decent frozen chicken parm. 

4 hours ago, Mark Slater said:

Mark, what section of the store is this in?

You might think you wrote a throwaway post, but if you found a good chicken parm that people can buy at a store, that's fairly significant.

I look forward to your reports! Never would've considered Cheesecake Factory. Do they deliver? (We would not make them a frequent stop - also haven't eaten there since the year they opened, once - but for chicken parm sandwiches we might do it occasionally.)

4 hours ago, Genevieve said:

I look forward to your reports! Never would've considered Cheesecake Factory. Do they deliver? (We would not make them a frequent stop - also haven't eaten there since the year they opened, once - but for chicken parm sandwiches we might do it occasionally.)

No delivery but order and pick up. 

• Like 1

On 8/4/2016 at 10:26 PM, Mark Slater said:

On 8/5/2016 at 3:20 AM, DonRocks said:

Mark, what section of the store is this in?

You might think you wrote a throwaway post, but if you found a good chicken parm that people can buy at a store, that's fairly significant.

Sorry, not frozen. In the prepared food section. At the Foggy Bottom TJ's it's the first cooler inside the door.

Our office has done take out from CheeseCake factory multiple times now.  The chicken parm sandwiches are good.  A cheese steak was quite tasty.  I had a pasta lunch portion with veggies today; reasonably good.  Boxed pasta but the veggies, spicing, and a light sauce were all quite good and the portion was ample.  I have yet to step inside the Arlington CheeseCake Factory but I would dine there.  All of the takeout is quite good, and the staff clearly favors it as they have reordered from there several times.   It is a step above quite a few restaurants.

• Like 1