New York Avenue Beach Bar, Tiki Bar by the Owners of The Passenger in Mount Vernon Square - Closed

Since I was there yesterday...

As of now, beer consists of cans of Miller Lite (no the punch hole is NOT AS EASY as the commercials say!), Modelo Especial, and Heineken. $5 for the first two, $6 for the latter.

There is a slushee stand with "Orange Crush" and strawberry margaritas. $10.

There is also a stand that was selling various rums and vodkas with a mixer for $9. I had a Hawaiian rum with tonic, it tasted like cream soda.

Bring cash, and your life will be much easier.

Since I was there yesterday...

As of now, beer consists of cans of Miller Lite (no the punch hole is NOT AS EASY as the commercials say!), Modelo Especial, and Heineken. $5 for the first two, $6 for the latter.

There is a slushee stand with "Orange Crush" and strawberry margaritas. $10.

There is also a stand that was selling various rums and vodkas with a mixer for $9. I had a Hawaiian rum with tonic, it tasted like cream soda.

Bring cash, and your life will be much easier.

This sounds awesome!

Seriously though, is there anything you can say that is optimistic? If this is a non-critical moneymaker, then so be it (I mean, it's not like you can't just walk around the corner to The Passenger if you want premium beverages).

---

ETA - I just now read Fritz Hahn's article. Ha!

"(If you want fancy cocktails, the Passenger is around the corner.)"

It does look like fun, maybe not for a 50-year-old grinch, but for young rabble-rousers? Sure! And the blurry 3 AM closing time on their website is funny.

Edited by DonRocks

This place is going to be a shitshow every Friday and Saturday night for the foreseeable future.

Not just Fridays and Saturdays, from what I heard.

Since I was quoted on Eater.com today from my post here - and to get to Don's point - optimistic? I mean, honestly, I think it's a great idea for folks who like this sort of thing. I'm not a big beach guy (thanks to all those "critters who live in the ocean" books I got as a kid, perhaps, though if I start wearing shorts again maybe that'll change) and crowds make me say "nah", but it seems like a great fun idea for others! I have a huge number of friends who can't wait to go...

It sure seems like it's doing great for Tom and his partners, and I'm sure I'll end up doing Malibu Red shots there sometime with Derek if he has anything to say about it...

anyone remember Tracks? :rolleyes:

Speaking of which, am I the only one who wishes they got their sand from Jones Beach so we could start reading stories about ironically facial-haired hipsters in flip-flops getting Hep C from 80's era hypodermic needles and used condoms?

I do applaud their recondite plot to destroy Seacrets, if not all of Ocean City, through accelerated beach erosion though...

anyone remember Tracks? :rolleyes:

Ahhh yes...welcome to Tracks on this fine Thursday night. Please remember to tip your bartenders as generously as possible...

And watch out for that flying volleyball. *bam*

(outdoor dance floor which i refused to leave)

(+ adjacent volleyball which i refused to avoid)

(= many nights with sand in my combat boots)

So there is absolutely no confusion, after peeking in my head in twice on weekends I can confirm that at least on Fri-Sat this place is basically McFaddens Shaw. Consider accordingly whether that is an endorsement or a warning.

So there is absolutely no confusion, after peeking in my head in twice on weekends I can confirm that at least on Fri-Sat this place is basically McFaddens Shaw. Consider accordingly whether that is an endorsement or a warning.

I thought it was posted here, but New York Avenue Beach Bar closed at the end of season 2012, and never opened back up.