Hill Country Barbecue, Moist Brisket Smoked in Texas Oak on 26th and 6th in Chelsea

Five years after it opened, Hill Country Barbecue is revisited by Pete Wells just in time for July 4th.

For our New York brethren, Hill Country launched a second, 13,000-square-foot restaurant in Washington, DC last year on March 12th. Here's the thread in the Washington, DC forum.

And for perspective, here's Adam Platt's 2007 New York Magazine review. Also, Peter Meehan's 2007 "$25 and Under" New York Times review.

Cheers,

Rocks

The Wells review has sparked some controversy on another food board I participate on (mouthfulsfood.com) that has a lot of opinionated NYawkers. As I said there, I think Hill Country is one of the best places for BBQ in NYC. Granted, the brisket is not as good as what I had a couple of months ago at Franklin in Austin, but its probably the 2nd best in NYC (I like Fette Sau in Bklyn the best). I think that the chicken, the beef ribs and the sausages are very good as well and that most of the sides work just fine. That being said, 2 stars as a restaurant is absurd.

The Wells review has sparked some controversy on another food board I participate on that has a lot of opinionated NYawkers. As I said there, I think Hill Country is one of the best places for BBQ in NYC. Granted, the brisket is not as good as what I had a couple of months ago at Franklin in Austin, but its probably the 2nd best in NYC (I like Fette Sau in Bklyn the best). I think that the chicken, the beef ribs and the sausages are very good as well and that most of the sides work just fine. That being said, 2 stars as a restaurant is absurd.

[steve, you can always feel free to link to other food boards here - why don't you go ahead and put it in?]

I purposely didn't mention the stars because I just don't believe in them - never have, never will.