Sugar Palm Thai, Edsall Road and I-395 in Springfield

Sugar Palm, a new Thai restaurant, has opened up near my apartment complex and I've dined there a couple of times. As I liked what I ate, I figured I'd add a topic for it. It seems to be mainly toward the American Thai side of things rather than full-on authentic, but what I've had has been good. The Som Tum, watercress, and Kheow Wahn Fried Rice all satisfied. The som tum in particular was quite good, though the fact that it might be the perfect summer salad (whichever Thai place I'm at), might be coloring my opinion.

More generally, the space is quite nice, not too loud the times I've been there, and they have a bar up front, so I'm guessing they have a liquor license (I don't drink, so I can't confirm) or are in the process of getting one. The service has also been quite good, though service always tends to be when a place has just opened.

As the alternative when I don't want to drive is the Panera Bread next door to it, I imagine I'll be exploring the menu in days to come. If anyone is in the neighborhood, give it a try and let us know what you think.

Note: the restaurant is fairly new (opened the 1st of July, I think) so their website is, at the moment, not the best place to get information. In fact, the best place for their menu is their Facebook page. The menu can be found on their Wall Photos:

Starters, Soup & Salad, Curry, Rice & Noodle, Vegetarian Entree

Entree, Kids Meal, Desserts, Sides, Beverages

I think these links work (let me know if they don't), but it's possible they'll die or do something odd based on the vagaries of Facebook.

I'm going to try it out this week, I also noticed its quick ascendence on Yelp, I figured they had lots of friends & family weighing in, I don't have a problem with that. If it's really good, they won't have a problem maintaining consistency, & if that area doesn't have a lot of good Thai restaurants, that will carry it for a while...

Well, one thing in their favor was I saw they served their satay with toast. That always seems very Thai to me, though maybe it says something about where the Thai cooks back in Colorado were from (i.e., it's a very "Bangkok" way to serve it, or something).

My wife and I ate dinner at Sugar Palm Thai and were very pleased with the restaurant. I agree with TheMatt that the space is quite nice, and the service was excellent. We weren’t very adventuresome in our selections—we had Por Pia Todd (spring rolls), pork Pad Thai, and Gai Cashew (sautéed chicken with cashews). I thought all three were quite good.

They do have a liquor license—they have a reasonable wine selection, and a few beers. (For some reason the beers aren’t listed on their menu; I had to ask our waitress about them.)

We will definitely be returning, and exploring the menu a bit more.

This weekend they are running a chef's special of

แกงส้มกุ้ง, ไข่ทอดชะอม, น้ำพริกกะปิ-ปลาทู: Keang-Som ( Shrimp in spicy & sour broth) , Kai-Tod-Cha-Om ( Omelette with acacia pennata) , Nam-Phrik-Pla-Thu ( Pan fried mackerel served with hot & spicy shrimp paste dipping and streamed vegetable ) $36

which led to a question: has anyone ever had 'cha om'? I've always heard acacia pennata was a food like durian, tastes good, but hell on the nose to prepare.

That's some real Thai food! Everyday food for central Thai people not often seen on restaurant menus here in the U.S. Cha om is delicious, but an acquired taste, as is nam prik kapi (น้ำพริกกะปิ hot & spicy shrimp paste dipping sauce). If you want to taste Thai food for Thai people, try this special. Be warned, there is a reason these dishes aren't on the standard American Thai restaurant menu. But as long as you can deal with fermented seafood and other (maybe) unfamiliar tastes, it is a treat. Be sure to enjoy the streamed vegetable :P

There are so many Thai restaurants in this area but each has a unique dynamic. I have now been to Sugar Palm five times and they seem to be doing everything right! The brand new space is small but the feeling created by the wall of windows and high ceilings helps to offset the size. Decor is modern, the color scheme cheerful. The staff is friendly and very accomodating; I've even been able to get several things that weren't on the menu...quite impressive! Everything I've tried there has been very tasty from appetizers to entrees to the sticky rice w/mango finale! The chef just seems to have a special touch. They change the menu periodically and have additional specials on weekends. Happy Hour (4-6) at their little eight-stool bar includes discounted potables as well as their bar menu...the $3 "Thai Tapas" as I call them. My pick from wine list: Crossings Sauvignon Blanc. I have been to Sugar Palm as a party of 1, 2, 4 & 7. Loved it every time! As a matter of fact, returning tomorrow with a party of 5.