Lupa Osteria Romana, 170 Thompson Street in Greenwich Village - Chef Cruz Goler Comes from Del Posto

We're cruising from NYC on Sunday 9/2. Need some place that serves lunch (not frou frou brunch with all you can drink mimosas) for a party of 8. Can't be too formal as we'll have our infant and 2.5 year old. Italian, Portugeuse, Greek, Spanish, French, or interesting Asian joints? What about Lincoln? Maybe a Boulud joint?

Lupa may fit the bill. It is casual and I do not think they do brunch like you may find at many other places on a Sunday (you may want to call and verify). They expertly handled our party of 9 a year or so ago on a weekday afternoon for a long late lunch/early dinner. We basically just picked the wine and asked them to have the chef select what we should eat and they should keep bring new dishes and we would tell them when we were full. They handled the request with aplomb, and we had a most enjoyable time.

Lupa may fit the bill. It is casual and I do not think they do brunch like you may find at many other places on a Sunday (you may want to call and verify). They expertly handled our party of 9 a year or so ago on a weekday afternoon for a long late lunch/early dinner. We basically just picked the wine and asked them to have the chef select what we should eat and they should keep bring new dishes and we would tell them when we were full. They handled the request with aplomb, and we had a most enjoyable time.

Was everything served family style with portions sufficient for everyone to try?

Every plate we got served more than one person. I am fairly certain that there may have been more than one plate of each item for either ends of the table, but I had a lot of wine. They were definitely not family-style portions, but they did bring out enough to make sure everyone could try some of everything. They are quite friendly. If you are interested you should call them and see what they can do for you.

I lived at 105 Thompson St. for a number of years during the late 60's and early 70's. By the address, I'm guessing that this place is situated in what was the bar on the corner of Prince Street where the local mooks used to hang out.

Nope. Lupa is just north of Houston (that's HOWston) St. (2 doors in from the corner where Arturo's has been for many, many years).

One block south, on the corner of Prince and Thompson is Milady's Bar.... that could be what you're thinking of, yes?

Nope. Lupa is just north of Houston (that's HOWston) St. (2 doors in from the corner where Arturo's has been for many, many years).

One block south, on the corner of Prince and Thompson is Milady's Bar.... that could be what you're thinking of, yes?

You are so right. I'm guessing that Frankie Boy, the super's son is still hanging out at the bar drinking Ballantine Ale.

When I lived there, Arturo's, which had already been there forever, didn't have a beer and wine license, but if they knew you, you could get red wine served in old diner-style coffee cups with saucers, to have with your pie or calzone. There was a little family-run café on the south side of Prince between Sullivan and Thompson that had a pink and black color scheme decor, where I often used to go to get the cheapest thing on the menu--pasta fazool--with heaps of fresh grated cheese stirred in.

You are so right. I'm guessing that Frankie Boy, the super's son is still hanging out at the bar drinking Ballantine Ale.

When I lived there, Arturo's, which had already been there forever, didn't have a beer and wine license, but if they knew you, you could get red wine served in old diner-style coffee cups with saucers, to have with your pie or calzone.

Reminds me of a place on Ludlow that sold "go-cups" filled with slushie margaritas - no longer in existence, sadly.

My last meal at Lupa (within the past month or two after one too many at Pegu) was as delicious as my many meals over the years.

Reminds me of a place on Ludlow that sold "go-cups" filled with slushie margaritas - no longer in existence, sadly.

My last meal at Lupa (within the past month or two after one too many at Pegu) was as delicious as my many meals over the years.

And my last meal at Arturo's was with you (and the folks in from Umbria to visit).