Carrot Cake Recipe

Demetrius

This is a carrot cake recipe I got from a friend who used to bake for a restaurant in Iowa City, Iowa. It's basically the restaurant's recipe, modified for the amount one might want to make at home and for some of my preferences (e.g., I like cardamom!). It's a fairly dense cake with pecans, coconut and pineapple, as well as loads of carrot. That's a style I like a lot--if it's not your wife's style it may not be her thing.

Carrot cake

Grease 3 qt (about 9”x13”) pan, preheat oven to 350.

1 1/4 cup white flour

1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour

1 1/2 t baking powder

1 1/2 t baking soda

3/4 t salt

1 1/2 t cinnamon (I usually add more, maybe 2 1/2 t cinnamon)

1 t ground cardamom

3 eggs well beaten

1 cup sugar

10 T vegetable oil (just shy of 2/3 cup)

2 t vanilla extract

1 cup drained crushed pineapple (1 small can)

2 1/2 c grated carrots (approximately 1 lb)

1/2 cup chopped pecans

1/2 c shredded coconut

Sift together all dry ingredients, save for the whole wheat flour. Then mix in whole wheat flour. In a separate bowl, mix together all wet ingredients. Add dry ingredients to wet, mix until just blended. Pour into pan and bake for 30-35. When cake has completely cooled, frost with following frosting.

Cream cheese frosting

1/2 lb. cream cheese

1 1/2 sticks butter (not margarine)

1 1/2 t vanilla

1 1/2 t lemon juice (I like it more lemony and usually add 3 t)

1/2 lb. Powdered sugar

Blend cream cheese, butter, vanilla and lemon juice until well mixed. Add in powdered sugar, frost!

I used your carrot cake recipe this past weekend, and proud to report that it was a huge hit. Thank you so very much!

My daugther is being baptised in two weeks down in Virginia Beach, and am thinking about making it for the reception afterwards. If I do, I will be sure to take a picture before people start eating it.

Do you have any suggestions for my next baking adventure?

I used your carrot cake recipe this past weekend, and proud to report that it was a huge hit.  Thank you so very much!

My daugther is being baptised in two weeks down in Virginia Beach, and am thinking about making it for the reception afterwards.  If I do, I will be sure to take a picture before people start eating it.

Do you have any suggestions for my next baking adventure?

See post #4 in the cupcake thread. If I have a bit of time later today I will start a new thread on cake and post a few favorite recipes.