Gold Crust Baking Company - Relocates from Alexandria to Landover with over 100,000 Square Feet

On the subject of bread, I still think Breadline makes the best bread in DC, hands down. There is also a bread company out of Baltimore called Bonaparte which makes some nice stuff. They used to carry their baguettes at Dean and Deluca, not sure if they do anymore. They had a real nice, almost burnt, crust...quite tasty. They have a retail bakery in Fells Point if you are ever in that neck of the woods....

I think Breadline has changed hands as well. With regard to the breads sold by Dean and Deluca, I understand that they are baked by Gold Crust Baking at the corner of Rt. 1 and Monroe Avenue in Alexandria. I understand that GCB also supplies the White House mess.

I think Breadline has changed hands as well.  With regard to the breads sold by  Dean and Deluca, I understand that they are baked by Gold Crust Baking at the corner of Rt. 1 and Monroe Avenue in Alexandria.  I understand that GCB also supplies the White House mess.

Does Gold Crust have a retail store-front? I remember trying to go one time and being confused about where to go.

Does Gold Crust have a retail store-front?  I remember trying to go one time and being confused about where to go.

Yes they do - it is on the left as you come off Route 1 onto Monroe. There is a big sign on the building and you have to down the steps to get into the bakery. Parking is on the side of the building on the side street (which name escapes me at the moment)

I think Breadline has changed hands as well.  I understand that GCB also supplies the White House mess.

I believe you are correct, they are doing the breads for Trader Joe's and Five Guys too but they are according to TJ's and FG'S receipes. They have a nice baguette and a great apple pie that they used to serve at DISH-the one Tom S raved about. They also have a cibatta that they call Bone Bread that has a very nice cell structure and can be popped into the oven at 450 for about 5 minutes and is oh so good. They are also a very nice bunch of folks!

I'm a big gold crust fan. I used to stop by at least once a week when I lived around the corner. In addition to making good loaves, they are some of the sweetest people around.

Why is there this correlation between making good bread and being nice?

GCB is family owned and I believe that they have three generations working in there.  Having contracts with Trader Joes and Five Guys would explain the recent upgrade in equipment.

Two generations, the bakery is owned by the son and daughter. The father who formerly formerly owned a large bakery in Syracuse with his brother, mom works in the bakery as well. The third generation is a beautiful baby girl who is about 6 months old. I'm there pretty often too.

They used to sell this great Greek calamata olive oil by the can (3 liters I think) for about $20.  "Mom" says they can't get the stuff any more.  I think their business has mushroomed in the last year or so.

The olive oil was like the nectar of the gods! Maybe we can get them to figureout a newway to get it into the country. Have youhad their "bone bread"? They make a very very nice foccacia, maybe we could send them up to Ray's the Steaks with some ofit-it has such a nice cell structure. They also do a dried, seasoned version that is awesome with Bouliabase or broken up in salads and soups. I'm getting hungry.