"Tales From Turin"

Joe H

Dan Steinberg, editor of the Washington Post blog, met a stranger in a cheese shop in Turin, Italy recently. His camera happened to be running for a blog feature he was doing on Italian cheese. Coincidentally, about half way into the two minute feature he happened to ask a man standing next to him, "You speak English?"

This is the link to what will be an all time classic:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/olympics/20...ds_alone_1.html

Edited by Joe H

Dan Steinberg, editor of the Washington Post blog, met a stranger in a cheese shop in Turin, Italy recently.  His camera happened to be running for a blog feature he was doing on Italian cheese.  Coincidentally, about half way into the two minute feature he happened to ask a man standing next to him, "You speak English."

This is the link to what will be an all time classic: 

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/olympics/20...ds_alone_1.html

I saw this today. Fantastic! Moo.

I'm sorry, but what makes this an "all time classic?" Or even moderately amusing? A Washington Post blogger in Turin (for the olympics!) runs into a chef from Washington that he doesn't recognize. If a toupee had fallen off or cheese had been flung at someone, I could see it. But this is just video of someone not immediately recognizing someone else in a foreign city currently inundated with foreigners, plenty of which hail from our city.

ETA: missed the context on the blog post. Still, far from classic.

Edited by Capital Icebox

I'm sorry, but what makes this an "all time classic?"  Or even moderately amusing?

The actual blog post gives background that makes this humorous, specifically that the Food section had asked him to track down Roberto Donna and he'd done nothing to actually accomplish that, evidently including not even looking up a picture of Roberto.

Donna invited him for dinner at his mother's hosue, that is amazing.

Also the lovely smuggness/arrogance(?) of Donna is so funny: "I AM ROBERTO DONNA OF GALILEO" like thats a royal title or something.

I'm sorry, but what makes this an "all time classic?"  Or even moderately amusing? A Washington Post blogger in Turin (for the olympics!) runs into a chef from Washington that he doesn't recognize.  If a toupee had fallen off or cheese had been flung at someone, I could see it.  But this is just video of someone not immediately recognizing someone else in a foreign city currently inundated with foreigners, plenty of which hail from our city.

Yawn.

The actual blog post gives background that makes this humorous, specifically that the Food section had asked him to track down Roberto Donna and he'd done nothing to actually accomplish that, evidently including not even looking up a picture of Roberto.

Dan is a friend of mine and one hell of a fantasy football player. So he's got that going for him, which is nice. They should have asked him to find a back-up running back that would see significant carries due to injury...he would have found that guy no problem...picture or no.

I'm sorry, but what makes this an "all time classic?"  Or even moderately amusing? A Washington Post blogger in Turin (for the olympics!) runs into a chef from Washington that he doesn't recognize.  If a toupee had fallen off or cheese had been flung at someone, I could see it.  But this is just video of someone not immediately recognizing someone else in a foreign city currently inundated with foreigners, plenty of which hail from our city.

ETA:  missed the context on the blog post.  Still, far from classic.

While "all time classic" might be a bit of an overstatement, I found it amusing. I actually laughed out loud when the camera panned around and Roberto Donna's face came into view. Thanks to JoeH for posting this.

Well, it would be interesting: why is he only planning on tying one shoe instead of two? Is there significance to this? Superstition? Did he tie one shoe or two on the day he cooked for Katie Couric? The day in the cheese shop? Were both shoes tied on each of the Iron Chef shows? Or only one on one? Or none on another? There is certainly much that could be said about this that would warrant its own thread.

Personally I can't wait for Roberto to wake up this morning and tie his shoe, so we can start yet another thread talking about that.

I thought it was a forum bylaw that no chef could have as many simultaneous threads as Landrum. :lol: