Russian Gourmet Market

I just noticed the "Open" sign lit up in the window this evening as I drove by. The refrigerator case and the shelves look well-stocked. With what, I'm not sure as I didn't have time to stop in, but I will check it out and report back in the next day or two. Anyone else been in?

The market is located on Slater's Lane in the same little shopping center that is (or will be soon) home to Rustico.

What, I have to go all the way across the river before y'all give a comrade a break?

We're just waiting to see if even actual Russkies believe that there's Russian food worth crossing the river for. They already bring beets and mushrooms to the Dupont market and I can only generate so much enthusiasm for preserved fish.

(Ducks)

Edited by Waitman

I lived in Siberia for two years, and it taught me that "Russian Gourmet" is an oxymoron.  I'll check this place out anyways, though.

We met an expat Russian couple in Los Angeles years ago. They invited us over for a gourmet dinner. The hostess' mother ended up doing the cooking because our host and hostess were too hung over from the previous night's vodka "vacation." (Our host explained that he like many Russians considered drinking to the point of black-out a good thing--it's like taking a vacation.) Every dish that was served had walnuts or apples in it, both of which I am violently allergic to. My husband ate heartily, the host and hostess declined any food, and I made do with bread and butter. One of the most bizarre social evenings I can recall.

We stopped in on Sunday and were apparently their very first customers. They were still stocking the shelves, so we couldn't get a full survey of the inventory. Nevertheless, the owners are the same people behind the Russian Gourmet in Mclean, and according to their Website, they currently maintain locations in Herndon and Rockville.

I've only been to the Mclean location previously, and that location had reasonably good prepared foods, including decent piroshkys, and an excellent eggplant salad. They also had a fairly extensive array of packaged goods, including different varieties of black bread, and a freezer treat that is a sort of sweet cheese stuffed with jam and covered in a chocolate coating.

The location in Alexandria did not have any prepared foods stocked yet, but they were barely ready to go when we stopped in. Still, we walked off with a 2 liter of Kvas, a bottle of pomegranate juice, and a poppyseed cake. They did not have the aforementioned freezer treat, but the owner promised that they're on the way.

We stopped in on Sunday and were apparently their very first customers. They were still stocking the shelves, so we couldn't get a full survey of the inventory. Nevertheless, the owners are the same people behind the Russian Gourmet in Mclean, and according to their Website, they currently maintain locations in Herndon and Rockville.

I've only been to the Mclean location previously, and that location had reasonably good prepared foods, including decent piroshkys, and an excellent eggplant salad. They also had a fairly extensive array of packaged goods, including different varieties of black bread, and a freezer treat that is a sort of sweet cheese stuffed with jam and covered in a chocolate coating.

The location in Alexandria did not have any prepared foods stocked yet, but they were barely ready to go when we stopped in. Still, we walked off with a 2 liter of Kvas, a bottle of pomegranate juice, and a poppyseed cake. They did not have the aforementioned freezer treat, but the owner promised that they're on the way.

ST: Welcome to DR.com. Great 1st post.

The link has a slight spelling error, here is a working link.

we walked off with a 2 liter of Kvas, a bottle of pomegranate juice, and a poppyseed cake. They did not have the aforementioned freezer treat, but the owner promised that they're on the way.

Welcome ST! How was the poppyseed cake? Fresh? So many times they are dry and bland. As though shipped over on a slow boat after a long train ride from Yakutz or something.

And speaking of pomegranate juice, that reminds me. (totally off topic) Last week I grabbed a bottle of Rose's Grenadine off the supermarket shelf for my bar and when I got home and read the ingredients, it had not one drop of pomegranate juice in it! :lol: Was the pomegranate juice you bought sweetened with anything?

Thanks, everyone, for the welcome. My apologies for the error in the hyperlink above.

The poppyseed cake was a packaged product and was sort of like a rectangular version of babka. It was half chocolate and half poppyseed. The poppyseed portion had an earthiness of taste that wasn't exactly endearing- I can't recommend it.

And if a fruit juice could ever be described as manly, this pomegranate juice would surely fit that description. I'm a big fan of the Pom line of beverages, but their juices are rather prissy in comparison. This particular juice, "Georgia's Natural Pomegranate Juice" is billed as "100% freshly squeezed" and further states the following: "Consists of premium fresh sun-ripe pomegranates to preserve the distinctive Georgian taste." That's Georgia, as in Tbilisi, of course.

The smell is almost beet-like, disturbing yes, but the taste is a touch sweet with maximum tartness. I'm not sure how to rate it as I've never had anything like it before. It's definitely worth trying, but it's not like you'll be leaping to the fridge to drink it out of the bottle.

As for Kvas, I've not yet developed a taste for it, but I am forcing myself to continue trying it until I learn how to appreciate it. Kvas has an extremely low alcohol content, and its taste has been described as fermented whole wheat raisin bread. So, yeah, it's definitely an acquired taste. I'd love to hear from actual Russians about how it's meant to be enjoyed. Like, does anyone in Russia just kick back on the couch with a glass of kvas for some leisurely afternoon television viewing or is it only enjoyed on special occasions or at meals?

I stopped by last night and came home with an assortment of goodies. First impressions:

- They have a huge selection...

- I don't know what a lot of it is, because I don't read Russian

- The staff was very nice and helpful - and generous with samples from the deli case :huh:

- They have a HUGE selection of hams, about which one of the gentlemen working was very enthusiastic - I know which one to try next time :lol:

I got some black bread, a wonderful Georgian-style smoked cheese, 'white' bacon, rogaliky (sp?) with nuts and honey, a jar of 'mixed salad' - a vinegar slaw of sorts, and a can of smoked sprats in oil.

There were lots of jarred/canned goods - jams, pickles, vegetables, etc. Some very nice looking smoked fish, a variety of baked goods and sweets. Best of all, the prices were very reasonable, especially when compared with other local gourmet shops. A nice addition to the neighborhood!

For all of us non-Alexandria types, where is this place located.  Their website doesn't seem to list the location.

Take the Slater's Lane exit off the Parkway and turn right at the light. there will be another light about 1/4 of a mile past the tracks and there is a small shopping area on the right just before the entrance to Rt.1. The Russian Gourmet is is that little shopping area.

Take the Slater's Lane exit off the Parkway and turn right at the light.  there will be another light about 1/4 of a mile past the tracks and there is a small shopping area on the right just before the entrance to Rt.1.  The Russian Gourmet is is that little shopping area.

so is Slater's Lane between National Airport and Old Town or past Old Town near where we have the DR picnic...

remember I've been in Virgina more times in the past month than I have in the past year...and I've only been in Virgina three times in the past month :lol:

Edited by Tweaked

so is Slater's Lane between National Airport and Old Town or past Old Town near where we have the DR picnic...

remember I've been in Virgina more times in the past month than I have in the past year...and I've only been in Virgina three times in the past month :lol:

Before Old Town, right off GW parkway, the first exit past the airport and marina. You have to get off before the light and take a sory of access road, then turn right at the light at Slaters Lane.

Edited by Capital Icebox

The former. Coming south on the Parkway, take the first right-hand exit ramp after the airport (maybe 1 mile past National). Then take a right at the light and you are on Slater's Lane.

mamafia.gif

Got a chance to check the place out yesterday, and was v. pleased. It's not too terribly large so the selection can be quite limited, but for what and where it is, I think it does a good job. There are lots of traditional condiments of pickles, Georgian hot sauce (ajika), barbecue sauces made of sour plums, (tkemali and satsibeli), canned veggies like brined slaws, whole tomatoes, and eggplant dishes, etc. With distress, I noted that my lovely honeycakes are made outside of Russia. What up with that?

The highlights:

- smoked white cheese (suluguni)

- canned roasted peppers in tomatoe sauce

- eggplant spread (extremely common back home!!)

- chocolate candy by the pound. Don't let the kiddie-like wrapping paper fool you - dark truffle matter lurks underneath.

Overall, a good reason for a rare trip to the 'burbs, and good for a nice spread of ready-made goodies for dinner if you don't feel like turning on the stove.

Since Nadya said it was worth risking crossing the river to check out and I've been craving salmon roe I headed to there this morning. I have been to the store in Rockville and always found it dark and initmidating. I was pleased to find a well lit, inviting store.

I picked up 3 different kinds of salami, although not the bear salami the Dairy Queen told me about later when I stopped in for some custard (but that's another thread). I also picked up some very reasonable priced smoked salmon, a jar of zucchini spread, a tin of Russian salmon roe (very reasonable priced) and the begining of their prepared food section-my beloved beet, sour cream, garlic salad.

The freezer case was fully stocked and ripe for the picking. My only complaint is the lack of cold beverages available to buy but the fridge was full of different smoked fish and cold condiments. Regardless, it was definitely worth the shlep <_<

Our latest discovery at the market is the aptly named "Cheese Ball", subtitled "Chocolate Flavored Coating" - there is a happy baby on the label. They are wrapped in foil of varying colors (blue, orange, purple, etc) but all seem to be the same flavor. Inside the chocolate flavored coating is a sweet, soft, creamy cheese with golden raisins. They're quite rich, but nice to share <_< and a bargain at $1.35 or so.

We found them in the freezer cases near the front door (in the same area as the chocolate covered apricot flavored cheesecake) after watching another (Lithuanian) customer load her basket up with them.

Our latest discovery at the market is the aptly named "Cheese Ball", subtitled "Chocolate Flavored Coating" - there is a happy baby on the label. They are wrapped in foil of varying colors (blue, orange, purple, etc) but all seem to be the same flavor. Inside the chocolate flavored coating is a sweet, soft, creamy cheese with golden raisins. They're quite rich, but nice to share <_< and a bargain at $1.35 or so.

Oh yes, these are the best, and my all-time favorite childhood snack - it was until I discovered what the numbers of the side panel mean. "Mommy! What's a calorie???"