Most Thought Out Wine Lists in DC/Baltimore

From the July issue of Food and Wine:

"Restaurant Eve

Alexandria, Virginia

Best Buy 2002 Vinya L'Hereu Petit Grealo ($39)

Sommelier Todd Thrasher says this Grenache from Catalonia is elegant and full of sweet blackberry flavor.

Restaurant Eve is proof that you don't need to stockpile mountains of bottles to produce a great wine list—you just have to choose well. This 180-selection list stays away from big names in favor of good values, says general manager and sommelier Todd Thrasher. And that includes 20 wines priced at $35 or under. At Restaurant Eve, chef Cathal Armstrong and partner Meshelle Armstrong operate both the high-end Tasting Room and the less formal Bistro. While Tasting Room diners might enjoy Lobster Crème Brûlée, in the Bistro they can opt for a confit of pork belly with glazed onions, baby carrots and Swiss chard. For the pork, Thrasher suggests the 2001 Paul Garaudet Monthelie Le Meix Bataille ($68). "It has a hearty, rustic quality."

Congratulations Todd!

Tallula.

Any restaurant that can sport 73 (the last time I looked) wines by the glass, and an incredible array of other wines by the bottle gets a nice nod from me.

Plus, the prices are incredibly reasonable for a restaurant, anywhere, not just Virginia.

I was quite impressed with the winelist at Kinkead's when we ate there last night. A lot of reasonably priced bottles on the regular list, and an excellent Reserve list. While they do have a lot of reds in addition to the excellent list of white wines, they specialize in seafood and some of that stuff is just too hearty or powerful for most of their dishes. However, the whites provide something for everyone and every dish.

Had another great dinner at Dino this weekend. It really is hard to beat the quality, price and selection of Dean's list:

Bottle of Prosecco $28 - tasty with a nice apple component

Bottle of Bussola Valpolicella "BG" 2004 (?) $34 - more barnyard than I expected from valpo, but delicious, and a great "teaching tool" about barnyard to my non-wino friends

Bottle of Tignanello 2001 $85 - awesome intro to supertuscan for my friends

Our party of 7 enjoyed the food, wine and hospitality at Dino very much - thanks Dean! <_<

Had another great dinner at Dino this weekend.  It really is hard to beat the quality, price and selection of Dean's list:

Bottle of Prosecco $28 - tasty with a nice apple component

Bottle of Bussola Valpolicella "BG" 2004 (?) $34 - more barnyard than I expected from valpo, but delicious, and a great "teaching tool" about barnyard to my non-wino friends

Bottle of Tignanello 2001 $85 - awesome intro to supertuscan for my friends

Our party of 7 enjoyed the food, wine and hospitality at Dino very much - thanks Dean!  <_<

We have changed/expanded our Wine Madness program. Monday thru Wednesday we are offering all wines over $50 at 33% off until April 19.

I was overwhelmed by the wine list at Citronelle last night. Thank goodness for Mark Slater or I would still be trying to decide.

And Mark has one other guarantee that I really appreciate. Unlike many other restaurants, Mark updates his winelist daily. You will never hear, "we are out of that wine," at Citronelle. If it is on the list, it is in the cellar. I can't count how many times I have had to choose three times before a restaurant was able to bring me the wine I ordered (meaning right wine, right year) because they were "out" that day. If you are going to have a wine list, do it right and make sure it only lists what is available. Thanks Mark, you guys do it right.

Iron Bridge Wine Co. in Columbia is a lot of fun, too - I think it's been mentioned on this board before. Lots of wines by the glass, good small-production selection, plus $5 corkage if you buy off the retail shelf and open it there for dinner.