Taste of the Nation DC - Mon, April 8, 2013

jpbloom

I've been attending this annually since it started years ago at Union Station. It was good for a while and then went rapidly downhill, but has improved the last few years. I like supporting the cause, so I'll probably attend no matter what.

Is anyone participating or attending this year? Any idea what to expect?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for posting this topic,

SOS has changed it's original goal which was to fight hunger in the United States and their new mission is to fight and eradicate childhood hunger in the US. This lofty mission has deservedly earned the support of many of us in the foodservice industry accross the country.

This years Taste of the Nation will be attended by many of the stars of the culinary field in the area.

I am honored to be the honorary chef chair and we hope, with your support, we can pull off the most successful Taste to date. Please go online to strength.org to find more information on the event and the chefs attending, as well as instructions for purchasing tickets.

There will be many features at the event including a bar chef table showcasing 4 prominent bartenders creating signiature cocktails and over a dozen wine and spirit vendors. Jeff Gaetjen and I will have a live culinary cookoff along the lines of IC.

Food, drink and fun for a great cause. Look forward to seeing you there.

I am curious as to how many attend this function. It sounds like fun, and am wondering if it is worthwhile to purchase a VIP ticket to get in early. Ilove to eat and it seems like a great cause especially when most of the proceeds go to charities.

Although I hadn't gotten the VIP tickets previously, I did last year and will again this year. It can get a little crowded as the evening passes (though this year is at a new venue, so who knows) and the early admission allows more opportunity to chat with the chefs and people pouring the wines, and taste things at leisure. Plus I like to support the organization, so I don't mind making the extra donation.

I would like to remind everyone about the support we need to make this years Taste of the Nation D.C. a huge success, and to help S.O.S in our mission is to fight and eradicate childhood hunger in the US. Chef Armstrong is the honorary chef chair (which means he is responsible for what you are eating and putting together the list of who’s who in the Washington D.C. dining scene for the event). And I am the honorary beverage chair (which means I am responsible for what everyone is drinking), we have 16 very interesting and special wine tables plus we are having a very cool Bar Chef ‘Bar’ that will be featuring

Derek M. Brown from Fire Fly, Brian Zipin from Citronelle, Sebastian Zutant from Rasika and Myself. We will be doing 1 new specialty cocktail from our restaurants. So please if you have not yet purchased your ticket, please log on to their website http://www.tasteofthenation.org/site/Clubs...id=1078&pg=main to find out how to purchase tickets for this wonderful event. Thank you so much and I look forward to seeing you the night of Tuesday April 11th!

I understand that it probably gets pretty crowded and chaotic as the evening progresses, but in general, are you able to sample enough to actually get full or is it very small bites with very long lines? (would like to support the cause, but it's also more than a typical weeknight out budget...)

I understand that it probably gets pretty crowded and chaotic as the evening progresses, but in general, are you able to sample enough to actually get full or is it very small bites with very long lines?  (would like to support the cause, but it's also more than a typical weeknight out budget...)

Here's a link to the thread for the last Share Our Strength event held in October '05. If this event is similar, then you'll have no problem filling up on the small plates offered by the various restaurants. The lines, when there were any, were short.

As this event is fast approaching I am wondering if the raito of

quantity to price is worthwhile for someone on a budget (saving for an engagement ring is seriously curtailing my dining habit).

Are the Citronelle, Restaurant Eve, and other "heavy hitters" tasting tables only available for VIP ticket holders?

No, those tables are available for everyone. But they'll run out of food before 9PM, if the past is to be believed. That still gives you a couple hours to hit the high points, then plenty of time to get plowed--we wine guys don't want to lug out any more wine than we have to.

I got an e-mail from Opentable today offering OT members $200 VIP tickets for $75.  Unfortunately, I already bought my cheapskate $75 tix.

Go here, click on "Buy Tickets", then click on the Opentable promotion linkage.

It seems to have disappeared.... Sigh...

Edited: Never mind; I found ,my email from Opentable....

Very, very tempting. Most go talk to Mr. BLB....

Jennifer

I got an e-mail from Opentable today offering OT members $200 VIP tickets for $75.  Unfortunately, I already bought my cheapskate $75 tix.
No - unfortunately I already bought my VIP tix at the full price <_< !

I think this is kind of crummy - it diminishes the VIPness of the tickets and it lessens the contribution to Share Our Strength, which is a good organization and deserving of the donation. I suppose it's a way to drum up ticket sales, and more sales=more $$ for the charity, but, hmph...I'm a little peeved!

Porcupine - Take the Metro ;) or else there is parking at the hotel, found this info on their website and assume it applies for event guests:

On-site parking, fee: 11 USD hourly, 23 USD daily

Valet parking, fee: 28 USD daily

I've been attending this annually since it started years ago at Union Station.  It was good for a while and then went rapidly downhill, but has improved the last few years.  I like supporting the cause, so I'll probably attend no matter what.

Is anyone participating or attending this year?  Any idea what to expect?

You can expect fifty or so restaurants including a few who haven't done it before like Marcel's and 2941. Cathal from Eve has been hitting the phones hard to get the area's best restaurants to participate, and Todd Thrasher has been calling to make sure that the libations are above par. The other thing you can expect is that 100% of your ticket price is going to go to the fight against hunger. this event supports the Capital Area Food Bank, Food and Friends, Community Family Life Services, the Children's Health Project of DC, and several international recipients. Next time you eat out in the district take the opportunity to support the restaurants that support their community.

And those of you in the business who haven't done this event before--you should. The SOS folks have plenty of helpers around to help unload and reload and replenish your stations, you get plenty of time to set up, etc. Thoroughly professional.

Bump.

I was hoping to make it this evening (and there's still a non-zero chance I might), but I'm deluged today.

If you guys want to meet somewhere, feel free to use this thread to plan and I'll merge it in with On A Whim afterwards..

Cheers,

Rocks

I'll be there as close to 6:00 as I can - I need a drink ;) ! I'll swing by Jparrott's table when I get there and see if you're around and introduce myself.

Look for MelGold at the Tallula/Evening Star Group table; I think Monique DC will be hanging around Corduroy (what else is new <_< ); be sure to check out the cocktail creations of Todd and Ken from Restaurant Eve and their fellow featured 'mixologists'. Porcupine, Camille-Beau have said they're coming...who else?

Looking forward to seeing lots of you there this evening!

And it seems I ended at Jake's booth, too. <_< Thanks for all the vino, dude.

For those of you not there - ya shoulda gone. I'm a bit too pickled to make a full report just yet, but it was a fun evening with lots of really good food. And sucky music, but you can't have everything.

There was lots of very rich food - scallops on lentils, crab and pea foam shooters, lobster bisque with morels, shrimp and grits. 1789 served a really nice spoonful of lobster (?) and Meyer lemon. Cathal Armstrong's duck confit was excellent, as was Roberto Donna's ribs and canellini.

My favorite taste, though, was Tallula's beet crisp with fennel and mahi mahi - maybe just because it was a bright note amidst all the rich morsels. But it was really, really good.

Best cocktail: Dreamy Derek's cucumber collins.

Best Girly Drink (I mean that in a good way): Todd Thrasher's strawberry and rhubarb daquiri with balsamic air.

Best show of the evening: Todd Thrasher's chem lab display - beakers and flasks with colored fluid and dry ice bubbling through. Really really cool.

If you were a fence sitter this year, just go next year. It's a hoot. And it's a good cause.

ETA: Most unusual dessert: Divine Swine Truffle from David Greggory - like a mini chocolate souffle cake kinda thing - with bacon! yes, bacon. ...what? of course I liked it.

Best show of the evening: Todd Thrasher's chem lab display - beakers and flasks with colored fluid and dry ice bubbling through.  Really really cool.

You forgot to mention the eyeballs: post-241-1144809029_thumb.jpg A large crowd packed the Marriott ballroom: post-241-1144809087_thumb.jpg

Someone we all recognize (excellent ribs!): post-241-1144809119_thumb.jpg and the Eve table: post-241-1144809156_thumb.jpg

The MC announced the auctions and the cookoff between Cathal Armstrong and Jeff Gaetjen: post-241-1144809277_thumb.jpg

10 ingredients and 20 minutes to cook post-241-1144809321_thumb.jpg with judges chosen from the audience.

and the cooking begins: post-241-1144809346_thumb.jpg 20 minutes later, the tasting: post-241-1144809387_thumb.jpg

while the chefs were interviewed -- Jeff: post-241-1144809428_thumb.jpg Cathal: post-241-1144809448_thumb.jpg

and the votes are in... post-241-1144810571_thumb.jpg Clean sweep for Cathal and Nathan! post-241-1144810602_thumb.jpg

A very fun evening! Hopefully a lot of money was raised for a truly great cause.

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou to porcupine (and mr. porcupine) for helping out at the TWG booth (and erikv for holding down the fort at the beginning as well). A great time seemed to be had by all, and we poured out most all the wine we brought! Yay!

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou to porcupine (and mr. porcupine) for helping out at the TWG booth (and erikv for holding down the fort at the beginning as well).  A great time seemed to be had by all, and we poured out most all the wine we brought!  Yay!

I had fun holding down the fort! It was great to meet you, Porcupine(+1), and MelGold. I would highly recommend anyone to go again next year. The VIP ticket definately proved worthwhile since there was much more food and space compared to the somewhat cramped conditions later in the evening.

I left before the "iron chef" event was completed, who won?

Last night was one of more enjoyable tasting events I've done. It was so much fun seeing everyone at the tables & around the room! Jake, thanks for the glass from your private stash...definitely helped the evening start on a good foot.

My "oh my god" morsel of the night was hands down the chocolate & peanut butter torte (?) from Colvin Run with the accompanying milkshake (not that it needed it). Absolutely spectacular!

Runners up were Tom Power's scallop tartare and the oyster saki shooters from Hanks (and of course, dibolsky's Mahi Mahi, but I'm partial). Someone did pork belly with lentils...I saw it but couldn't taste it. Anyone know what I'm talking about & try it? The folks from Hank's were raving.

ETA: ChefJeff, congrats to you & the other organizers for an amazing event! Thank you for letting us be a part of it!!!

I left before the "iron chef" event was completed, who won?

See Camille-Beau's post and photos here - Cathal Amstrong won hands-down.

I was impressed that David Rosengarten was there as the host for the cooking challenge (but I seemed to be the only one who even knew who he was - maybe I've been watching the Food Network for too long!?)

VIP tickets were definitely worth it - the crowd grew dramatically after 7:00pm so getting around was a challenge (eta - especially with a glass -or 2 ;) - and a plate balanced). Chef Tom Power's scallop tartare was another great taste, in addition to the ones mentioned by Porcupine. I also enjoyed the sake oyster shooter offered by Chef Jamie Leeds of Hank's Oyster Bar, and that Divine Swine Truffle with a scoop of bacon fat (yes, I said bacon fat!) ice cream was definitely the most unusual combination of the evening - but it worked! And the Coeur de Lion's spring morel soup with lobster and black truffles was - for me - the most decadent taste of the night. Restaurant Eve's cassoulet was delicious as usual - wonder if that will be the last bite of it until the fall/winter... :)

At least 2 variations on miniburgers were offered <_<

Sadly I only got around to trying 2 of the 4 cocktails offered at the "Boom Boom Bar" - the 2 mentioned by Porcupine. Anyone else try the others?

A great event for a great cause!

Sadly I only got around to trying 2 of the 4 cocktails offered at the "Boom Boom Bar" - the 2 mentioned by Porcupine.  Anyone else try the others? 

I tried some sort of mint/chocolate/tequila with crushed chocolate covered pretzel drink that was surprisingly good, but not in the same league as the other cocktails mentioned.

The event was wonderfully planned, and judging by the high attendence, raised quite a bit of money for a terrific cause!

Just to set the record Straight.....The Coeur De Lion was serving "Pan Seared Natural Sea Scallops with Tiny Green Lentils Salad and Sherry Gastrique"!

Chef Tony Spagnoli

Chef

The Coeur De Lion Restaurant

See Camille-Beau's post and photos here - Cathal Amstrong won hands-down.

I was impressed that David Rosengarten was there as the host for the cooking challenge (but I seemed to be the only one who even knew who he was - maybe I've been watching the Food Network for too long!?)

VIP tickets were definitely worth it - the crowd grew dramatically after 7:00pm so getting around was a challenge (eta - especially with a glass -or 2  ;) - and a plate balanced).  Chef Tom Power's scallop tartare was another great taste, in addition to the ones mentioned by Porcupine.  I also enjoyed the sake oyster shooter offered by Chef Jamie Leeds of Hank's Oyster Bar, and that Divine Swine Truffle with a scoop of bacon fat (yes, I said bacon fat!) ice cream was definitely the most unusual combination of the evening - but it worked!  And the Coeur de Lion's spring morel soup with lobster and black truffles was - for me - the most decadent taste of the night.  Restaurant Eve's cassoulet was delicious as usual - wonder if that will be the last bite of it until the fall/winter...  :)

At least 2 variations on miniburgers were offered  <_<

Sadly I only got around to trying 2 of the 4 cocktails offered at the "Boom Boom Bar" - the 2 mentioned by Porcupine.  Anyone else try the others? 

Just to set the record Straight.....The Coeur De Lion was serving "Pan Seared Natural Sea Scallops with Tiny Green Lentils Salad and Sherry Gastrique"!

Chef Tony Spagnoli

Chef

The Coeur De Lion Restaurant

Oooops - sorry for the confusion. As Camille-Beau said, the scallops were delicious (and at the table right next to where the soup was being served...who made that I wonder?) and the tiny lentils were lovely. That particular aisle was a mad crush of people, so it was hard to tell which establishments were serving what dishes.

It really was amazing to see the labor-intensive preparations that were going on at so many of the tables. I only wish there had been a floor plan and list of who served what (since I obviously had a hard time keeping track)!