Sausage

brr

Todays WaPo food section has a feature on Stanley Feder, who recently got into the business of sausage making. His wares are featured at Breadline and Jaleo among other eateries.

Just thought I'd post the link as its something folks on here would be interested in (and are interested in judging by a thread on eG on this topic).

In one of those small world moments, he also happens to be married to the director of my grad school program!

Logan Sausage was mentioned in the sidebar to the article as another local sausage producer. They are in Alexandria and you see their products in local grocery stores.

I had the opportunity to try some of their andouille* over the weekend in a gumbo. It was quite good - spicy and nicely textured.

* Putting in a good word for them: they had generously donated 20 lbs of it for a fundraiser that a friend put together.

At one picnic Waitman brought some of his homemade lamb sausages.

I occasionally pick up Logan at Snider's in SS and have enjoyed them. The chorizo have a real bite.

From his posts on eG, the Simply Sausage guy like a good egg.

The fat content on the Logan's italian sausages seem to be about 1/2 of other brands, while still managing to taste like sausage. I'm a big fan and am disappointed that more stores don't carry it. I can usually find it at the Shoppers at Seven Corners but not consistently anywhere else.

This is getting off the local sausages theme but seems like a decent place to put the comment. Costco (at least the one at Pentagon City) has a fabulous huge discounted pack of chicken andouille sausage from Sausages by Amy. I liked them enough to pay crazy premium prices to buy different ones mail order from the company to check them out. The chipotle chicken were okay but probably not worth the high price. The ones at Costco are the best chicken sausages I've ever had, though, and the price is great.

I have found an excellent locally made Sausage that I think is the best I have ever had. It is made by a company called “Simply Sausage” out of Landover MD. I sampled the goods at Arrowine, in Arlington, when they were there doing a tasting and I have been hooked ever since. One of the owners worked as a part-time Sausage maker at 2941. I have had the French Country Recipe Pork Sausage with Tarragon and Shallots, which is made with Certified Berkshire Pork and the Spicy Merguez and love them both.

I would highly recommend them to anyone that loves Sausage.

http://www.simply-sausage.com/

(sorry did not know there was a string already )