Which Wines Best Represent Their Type?

JimCo

I am interested in trying wines that best represent their respective types. While there is a ready supply of wines at my supermarket for $10-$15 that are just fine for weeknight dinners, I find that -- over time -- these wines all begin to taste the same. Lately, I feel as if the label is the only thing allowing me to tell the difference between a cabernet or a merlot or a pinot. My taste buds have grown stale from lack of use.

In contrast, some wines (that aren't necessarily expensive) can really show off their stuff. I remember trying a Brown Estate zinfadel that set off a little pop in every taste bud in my mouth. It helped me realize what good zinfadel should taste like. Similarly, a $25 bottle of barolo from WholeFoods (whose name is now lost to time) tasted so rich and smooth that it gave me the perfect sense of what barolo should be.

I understand that wine tasting is a personal experience and subjectivity plays a big role in recommendations. However, I am wondering if folks have any wines they would recommend that do an excellent job representing their type. Is there a cabernet (or merlot or pinot) that makes you say, "Now this is what cabernet (or merlot or pinot) should taste like!"?

And are any of these wines under $40? Because that's about all I can afford. (The Brown Estate zinfadel goes for about $35, and I can't recommend it enough, btw).

I think that can be a really tough one when you're looking just at varietals. A merlot from, say, Pomerol in Bordeaux is going to taste very different from a California merlot. I know it can be overwhelming, but getting just a bit more specific could help you get a sense of what's to be expected from certain wine types- not just varietals.

For example:

Oregon Pinot Noir- I think that Archery Summit's readily available Premier Cuvee Pinot Noir is a solid example of that wine type. Lots of typical black cherry fruit, spices and a bit of earthiness. Can't remember, but I'm fairly certain you can find it under $30.

Any other thoughts, folks?

Vinist raised a great point. for example, with Pinot, there are at least 7 or 8 areas you need to look at to get a grasp of what the US is doing, to day nothing of new Zealand, France etc.

Since my pockets are not deep enough, I leave red burgundy for tastings by distributors where I don't have to pay! But I am a fan of pinot from the US so here are a few:

Oregon: Chehalem 3 Vineyards (may be called 3 vines)

Russia River: David Bruce makes a fine one, as does Gary Farrel. I am not a fan of the huge Turley influenced (Helen, not Larry) extracted wines.

Green Valley: Marimar Torres or Iron Horse

Coastal: Dutton Goldfield Devil's Gulch Marin County (may be over $40 a bottle but really fine stuff).

Santa Cruz Mountains: spring for the David Bruce.

Monterrey: Case from Talbott or Morgan 12 clones

Santa Lucia Highlands: Miner Gary's Vineyard

Santa Barbera: Sanford

I could go on and name 20 more rom these areas that would fill the bill just as well, but I think these wines particularly represent the terroir of their various growning areas.