Monkfish Recipes

erikv

Wrapping monkfish with bacon is always a good thing.    Whatever you do, make sure you trim the fish well, removing all the membrane.

Thanks for the tip on trimming. The bacon idea sounds delicious to me, unfortunately my gf doesn't eat bacon or meat <_<

The monkfish episode on one of Julia Child's series is a classic. That is one ugly fish; fortunately for us, the tails are usually skinned and filleted before being set out for sale. In that show, Julia made a piperade, using red and green peppers, onion, garlic, herbs, etc. She then cut the fish into cubes, salted and peppered the cubes, and then dredged them in flour. She briefly sauteed the fish and then added some wine and the piperade and simmered it all, covered for 10 minutes or so. She then removed the fish and vegetables to a platter and boiled the juices down to a syrup.

Easy as pie.

The monkfish episode on one of Julia Child's series is a classic.  That is one ugly fish; fortunately for us, the tails are usually skinned and filleted before being set out for sale.  In that show, Julia made a piperade, using red and green peppers, onion, garlic, herbs, etc.  She then cut the fish into cubes, salted and peppered the cubes, and then dredged them in flour.  She briefly sauteed the fish and then added some wine and the piperade and simmered it all, covered for 10 minutes or so.  She then removed the fish and vegetables to a platter and boiled the juices down to a syrup.

Easy as pie.

Wow, looks like we have a winner. Thanks for all the recommendations everyone!

I went back to Whole Foods this afternoon to try and pick-up some more Monkfish for the dinner tonight. The fishmonger said he wouldn't recommend it since it smelled a bit off, so I took his advice....should I be worried about the Monkfish I bought last night (it has remained wrapped and in my fridge since I bought it).

Does the standard, make sure it doesn't smell like fish apply? Any color I should watch out for as well?

Does the standard, make sure it doesn't smell like fish apply?  Any color I should watch out for as well?

Considering that the fishmonger recommended against it, I would take that as gospel. I've been sold rotten fish from WF before; that's why I always insist on smelling it. And, monkfish is no different from any other fish in that it shouldn't smell like anything other than the ocean.

On a recent episode of "Top Chef" the contestants had to prepare monkfish for 8-12 year olds. One team made "monkey dogs" - a corndog-like concoction that was a hit with the kids. The others went with baked, cereal-crusted fish nuggets with a mango ketchup for dipping...

just some less-traditional food for thought <_<

I prepared the monkfish by baking it in olive oil, white wine, butter, and s&P. I then added lemon zest. It came out very succulant, and smelled great. I didn't really follow a recipe, but really enjoyed both cooking and eating the fish, so there will be more chances in the future. In addition to my improvisational monkfish cooking, I hedged my bets with some seared tuna just in case the monkfish was horrible. It turns out my guests loved both dishes, and everyone had a great night. Next time i do some monkfish i want to add some red chili flakes or some other spice to give it a bit of a kick though.