El Paso, TX

Joe H

Back in the day, I was a Night Auditor at the Capitol Hilton.  I was required to collect the receipts from Trader Vic's every night.  This was the definition of torture, in a foodie sense.  The kitchen personnel would somehow hose down everything, which meant that I had to tip-toe through water which contained the detritus of that night's efforts.  A TV cook was usually busy preparing a meal for the staff of the restaurant.  The smell of THAT was enthralling.  I, however, was condemned to whatever slapdash food the room service staff came up with for my (required by the Union) meal.  Masochist that I was at the time, I would always ask what was being prepared.  "Crab Omelet."  Doesn't that sound nice?  I got a cold "Reuben" sandwhich, which was probably the WORST allegedly "Reuben" sandwich in the world.

The payoff happened, though, when my Mother came for a visit and I took her to Trader Vic's for dinner.  The Captains and the Waiters just FAWNED over us.  My Mother was SO impressed. Then I put her on a plane back to El Paso, and returned to my more "pedestrian" life.  I still think about those Banana Fritters, however. <_<

The Camino Real in El Paso has tortilla soup so good that when I go there every year my dinner is two bowls of it sitting at the bar.

I'm headed to Las Cruces, NM, in a couple weeks. Apparently I'll be using the El Paso airport. Any recommendations?

I cannot tell you how jealous I am of you. I will make the argument that there is one Tex Mex restaurant in El Paso that challenges for the title of best in America and a second that is 98% as good. The L & J Cafe is known as the "old place by the graveyard...an El Paso tradition since 1927." I am looking at the back of their carryout menu and they have about 30 different sources for raves from Savuer magazine to Texas Monthly to Good Morning America. Also "best hole in the wall restaurant in El Paso." Also four separate articles in Southern Living, three in Texas Monthly, etc.

The best enchilada I have ever had (chicken with green sauce-they literally have ten different ones). The best caldo de rez I have ever had. I could go on and on and on.... Did I mention this is a biker bar with a pool table adjacent to the bar? A cemetary across the street? They do NOT serve dinner after 8. They do not have a website but the address is 3622 E Missouri Ave

El Paso, TX 79903 (915) 566-8418

Kiki"s, a neighborhood bar at 2719 N. Pedras ( http://www.kikisrestaurant.com/ ) is almost as good. For some things as good, perhaps better. Brisket machaca to die for (best I have ever had)!!! Outstanding cal de rez; superb chili Colorado (best I have ever had). There is nothing in the D. C. area that even approaches this place. Nothing in much of Texas either! Texas Monthly has called both Kiki's and L & J two of Texas' ten best for 20+ years. Kiki's has as many magazines and television shows that have raved about them as L & J. Kiki's does not serve dinner after 9:00PM on MOnday through Thursday. Check out the descriptions from Kiki's menu of two of their specialties:

MACHACA pronounced MA - CHA - KA

If they don't serve this in Heaven, you can be sure the angels are coming down here for take-out. The Machaca could be one of the rare things in life that can't stand improvement.

Take your choice of Brisket, Chicken, or Crab, grilled with tomatoes, onions, and green chilies, a little egg, then covered with our TOTALLY ADDICTIVE Green Sauce and cheese, served with rice and beans. You won't leave hungry! $9.95

Mood Altering

GREEN CRAB ENCHILADAS

One's too many, and a hundred ain't enough. Seriously. If we ever run out of the Green Crab, we could have a RIOT on our hands. That's the effect these enchiladas have on folks, brings out their MILITANT side.

Relax! We won't run out. When you need those tender, juicy chunks of crab wrapped in corn tortillas and drowned in that dangerous Green Sauce of ours and cheese, with rice and beans-- We'll have them. WE PROMISE!

Bottom line: when I came back from El Paso last summer I told my wife that I wanted to fly back there just to eat at these two places. I found out about both from a good friend who owns Western Playland and claims to have eaten at every decent Mexican restaurant in El Paso and, until five or six years ago, most of the good ones in Juarez.

Well, my one night in El Paso was unfortunately disappointing. I drove by the L&J Cafe and it was PACKED. No parking spaces in sight and people spilling out the door. Since it was cold and I was getting pretty hungry, I passed. I ended up at Andale and ordered fajitas. Not very good. If I go back, I'll have to make a better effort for L&J.

Well, my one night in El Paso was unfortunately disappointing. I drove by the L&J Cafe and it was PACKED. No parking spaces in sight and people spilling out the door. Since it was cold and I was getting pretty hungry, I passed. I ended up at Andale and ordered fajitas. Not very good. If I go back, I'll have to make a better effort for L&J.

Kiki's was only five minutes away but it would have been packed, too. I probably would have walked a couple of blocks and sat at the bar where I believe you can have dinner. Neither place is known for fajitas. Machaca, caldo de rez, enchiladas, chili Colorado, if you have the opportunity to go back. There is nothing in the D. C. area that even begins to approach how good these two places are.

Kiki's was only five minutes away but it would have been packed, too. I probably would have walked a couple of blocks and sat at the bar where I believe you can have dinner. Neither place is known for fajitas. Machaca, caldo de rez, enchiladas, chili Colorado, if you have the opportunity to go back. There is nothing in the D. C. area that even begins to approach how good these two places are.

Yeah, unfortunately, I hadn't looked up the second place (Kiki's) you suggested before leaving my hotel room, so I was flying blind at that point. I'm sure I'll have the chance to go back to the area in the future. I'll plan better and probably be more willing to wait. :angry:

I cannot tell you how jealous I am of you. I will make the argument that there is one Tex Mex restaurant in El Paso that challenges for the title of best in America and a second that is 98% as good. The L & J Cafe is known as the "old place by the graveyard...an El Paso tradition since 1927." I am looking at the back of their carryout menu and they have about 30 different sources for raves from Savuer magazine to Texas Monthly to Good Morning America. Also "best hole in the wall restaurant in El Paso." Also four separate articles in Southern Living, three in Texas Monthly, etc.

The best enchilada I have ever had (chicken with green sauce-they literally have ten different ones). The best caldo de rez I have ever had. I could go on and on and on.... Did I mention this is a biker bar with a pool table adjacent to the bar? A cemetary across the street? They do NOT serve dinner after 8. They do not have a website but the address is 3622 E Missouri Ave

El Paso, TX 79903 (915) 566-8418

Kiki"s, a neighborhood bar at 2719 N. Pedras ( http://www.kikisrestaurant.com/ ) is almost as good. For some things as good, perhaps better. Brisket machaca to die for (best I have ever had)!!! Outstanding cal de rez; superb chili Colorado (best I have ever had). There is nothing in the D. C. area that even approaches this place. Nothing in much of Texas either! Texas Monthly has called both Kiki's and L & J two of Texas' ten best for 20+ years. Kiki's has as many magazines and television shows that have raved about them as L & J. Kiki's does not serve dinner after 9:00PM on MOnday through Thursday. Check out the descriptions from Kiki's menu of two of their specialties:

MACHACA pronounced MA - CHA - KA

If they don't serve this in Heaven, you can be sure the angels are coming down here for take-out. The Machaca could be one of the rare things in life that can't stand improvement.

Take your choice of Brisket, Chicken, or Crab, grilled with tomatoes, onions, and green chilies, a little egg, then covered with our TOTALLY ADDICTIVE Green Sauce and cheese, served with rice and beans. You won't leave hungry! $9.95

Mood Altering

GREEN CRAB ENCHILADAS

One's too many, and a hundred ain't enough. Seriously. If we ever run out of the Green Crab, we could have a RIOT on our hands. That's the effect these enchiladas have on folks, brings out their MILITANT side.

Relax! We won't run out. When you need those tender, juicy chunks of crab wrapped in corn tortillas and drowned in that dangerous Green Sauce of ours and cheese, with rice and beans-- We'll have them. WE PROMISE!

Bottom line: when I came back from El Paso last summer I told my wife that I wanted to fly back there just to eat at these two places. I found out about both from a good friend who owns Western Playland and claims to have eaten at every decent Mexican restaurant in El Paso and, until five or six years ago, most of the good ones in Juarez.

Kiki's was just on the TV Food Network: "The best thing I ever ate." For their beef machaca.