Please Write About...

Scott Johnston

Thread to inform the press of things they may want to write about.

In the past couple of weeks, I have noticed a great deal of threads and comments on the board (and other boards) have ended up as snippets and features in the Post, Washingtonian, online chats and other venues. Examples of this are Sausage maker thread on eGullet that was then in the Food section, The thread on April’s Fool’s Day that Eve enhanced, China Gourmet ie Szechuan Boy threads that Tom mentioned, and many others.

While I am sure we want to keep some venues a secret, I though it might be interesting to start a thread on topics, restaurants, stores, or what ever that SHOULD be covered.

I think more attention should be paid to the area's agriculture production. From the Blue ridge, to the Virginia wine country, to the eastern Shore to the Cheasapeake Bay, we seem to be in a pretty diverse area of the country and more articles should be written about the area's farmers/artisan producers etc.

Tuesday night tastings at Vidalia (and the associated wine flights with the tasting menu).

Corduroy's wine list.

The return (?) of BYO at Gerard's (along with tips for polite BYOing).

Todd Thrasher's wardrobe (oh wait, they already did that one).

This thread is a great idea - but the problem is not usually the writers coming up with ideas; it's editors being willing to answer the pitch with anything other than, "Ohhh, I dunno ....... we did something like that six or seven years ago." <_<

The growing Pinot Noir crisis in California.

Pepperwood Grove (a Sebastiani label) now has their Pinot Noir sourced from Australia.

Mark West Pinot Noir is currently from Corsica.

Estrella is forced to stop producing Pinot Noir for a while because they have no fruit or juice to source.

I'd be surprised if all of this can be attributed soley to the "Sideways" effect, but there's no doubt that increased awareness and interest in Pinot Noir from the movie (fueled by the media coverage of this phenomenon) is still with us.

I predict it will be another 5 years before supply catches up with demand.

I'd like to read feature stories about great home cooks. One of the best things about the DC area is how international it is, and it would be particularly interesting to seek out people of varied ethnicities who are known to be superb cooks and learn about what/how they cook their specialties at home.

I'd like to read feature stories about great home cooks. One of the best things about the DC area is how international it is, and it would be particularly interesting to seek out people of varied ethnicities who are known to be superb cooks and learn about what/how they cook their specialties at home.

I would love to do a specialty shopping/cooking piece for dcist, particularly at one of the farmers' markets, wholesale, on the waterfront, etc. Feel free to pm me if you are interested.

(Didn't know where to post this but it was too good to pass up.)

A chef pleaded guilty Wednesday to stabbing a waiter who chastised him for using a rotten tomato in his cooking. Mohammed Uddin, 43, will be sentenced to one year in county jail May 17.

look here!