Rare Bordeaux Cellar For Sale (And A Couple More)

DonRocks

I just got this email, and this cellar is going to be first-come first-served, but I'll give everyone until Monday at noon to have an equal chance. No partial lots. I'm going to be off-line for awhile, so please reply on this thread rather than PM, and I'll check as time permits. I'd buy most of these myself if I wasn't short on cash. Cheers, and have at it. Rocks.

--

Haut-Brion 1982 $240 3 bottles

Ausone 1990 $120 2 bottles

Pichon-Lalande 1978 $30 4 bottles

Palmer 1983 $110 1 bottle

Yquem 1986 .375 $80 10 bottles

Ausone 1964 $130 1 bottle

Pichon-Longueville 1990 $60 6 bottles

Rieussec 1979 $20 1 bottle

Issan 2000 $15 2 bottles

Latour 1985 $80 4 bottles

Fonseca Port 1963 $60 4 bottles

Orin Swift "The Prisoner" 2002 $8 12 bottles

Ondine Wine Goblets (4) circa 1914 $16 each

La Mission Haut-Brion 1989 $180 9 bottles

Silex 2001 Didier Dagueneau $15 11 bottles

Ducru-Beaucaillou 1986 $45 18 bottles

Armand Rousseau 1993 Chambertin "Clos de Beze" $90 1 bottle

Y (Ygrec) Dry White Wine of Yquem 1998 $20 16 bottles

Here is my revised list, based on what has gone before... I think...

I will take the following:

all of the following:

1982 Haut Brion

1989 La Mission Haut Brion

1990 Aussone

1964 Ausson

1986 Ducru Beaucaillou

1998 "Y" white wine

Thanks!

Scott

I am in for the following if they can be made available:

Haut-Brion 1982 $240 3 bottles

Pichon-Lalande 1978 $30 4 bottles

Yquem 1986 .375 $80 10 bottles

Pichon-Longueville 1990 $60 6 bottles

Latour 1985 $80 4 bottles

La Mission Haut-Brion 1989 $180 9 bottles

Ducru-Beaucaillou 1986 $45 18 bottles

if it is too late to get any of them:

Vine Guy:

Could you please spare a bottle of the Haut Brion , it is my most favorite wine and vintage I've ever tasted and never thought I would get a chance again to do so. Also, if you could spare some Ducru-Beaucaillou please let me know.

Raiseb,

Could you spare a bottle or two of the Latour?

thanks.

jonathan

Doesn't how this stuff was stored matter to any of you? Twenty, forty year old wine can be valueless unless properly stored. If you buy wine from a store and it is "corked" or has been exposed to heat then you have recourse. With a private sale it is a different situation. It is absolutely essential that the wine be sold with the understanding that it has been properly stored and not exposed to excessive heat or vibration. Just a quick word from Rockwell confirming the proper storage of it or from whoever is selling this is all that is necessary. Without this it is sold as is. For that matter, am I correct that this is being sold "as is?" Or is there a warranty that it is all in good condiition or a condition that could be reasonably expected given its age?

There's not an auction house in the world that will sell a bottle of wine without knowing its "history." Just that confirmation and everyone can have at it. Without, I'm just shaking my head. Sorry, to sound negative, but this is a minimal expectation.

Edited by Joe H

Joe....I think most of us are assuming that don wouldnt post this on the board and endorse his friend, if he wasnt assured that the wine was properly handled and stored.

Joe, I agree with Jonathan. I trust Rocks to not put it up there if it's questionable.

There's not an auction house in the world that will sell a bottle of wine without knowing its "history."  Just that confirmation and everyone can have at it.  Without, I'm just shaking my head.  Sorry, to sound negative, but this is a minimal expectation.

Many years ago, about 1977, I attended a Sothebys auction in Geneva. Michael Broadbent was wandering around the room. There was a huge amount of 50's and 60's Bordeaux being offered. Oddly, the type of bottles the wines were in (shallow punt) did not exist until the early '70's, and even then were rare for fine Bordeaux. Also the lables were in extraordinarily good condition, like new.

One may draw one's own conclusions about the auction houses of the world.

Many years ago, about 1977, I attended a Sothebys auction in Geneva.  Michael Broadbent was wandering around the room.  There was a huge amount of 50's and 60's Bordeaux being offered.  Oddly, the type of bottles the wines were in (shallow punt) did not exist until the early '70's, and even then were rare for fine Bordeaux.  Also the lables were in extraordinarily good condition, like new.

One may draw one's own conclusions about the auction houses of the world.

I sold a six pack of '85 Caymus Special Select and a six pack of '85 Groth Reserve at auction about ten years ago. (Now, I wish I hadn't!) I know what I was asked before they would accept the lot. I am suggesting that with wine auctions becoming a more widespread/acceptible form of purchasing wine closer attention is paid to its history. Regardless, I'm just asking how this stuff was stored. Proper cellaring for its release from the winery gives it a higher value than sitting in someone's basement. Or if they bought it or some of it from someone else. This shouldn't be the big deal that it seems to be turning into. I didn't intend for this to be going in this direction. I've just been burned a few times in private sales and have learned to ask this as a standard question especially with wine with significant age. It's just business. All of this can be quickly ended with a response from Don.

I'm sure Don will respond when he is able, but I also would want a little more information, not just so that those who want specific items can learn the provenance and storage history (if known) but about payment method, what guarantees are being given (if any) and by whom, and proposed method(s) of pickup or delivery. If the wines are all simply "as is" and "where is" then those who are interested will be able to take that information into consideration.

I heard from Rocks, and although he isn't sure of the pedigree of the 63 Fonseca and 64 Ausone, he pretty much assured me that nobody would be buying any bad wines. Also, he said he'd be checking in around lunchtime to get the final wish-list for a possible lottery.

I heard from Rocks, and although he isn't sure of the pedigree of the 63 Fonseca and 64 Austone, he pretty much assured me that nobody would be buying any bad wines.  Also, he said he'd be checking in around lunchtime to get the final wish-list for a possible lottery.

I thought it was first-come first-served, too.

If there's going to be a lottery, I might want to change my answers. There were things I was interested in, but they'd already been spoken for!

I thought it was first-come first-served, too.

If there's going to be a lottery, I might want to change my answers.  There were things I was interested in, but they'd already been spoken for!

What she said! And I wouldn't mind a couple bottle of Ducru.

I can't take it anymore.

It's settled. I called Rock's friend directly and purchased the entire lot. This was an incredible deal! Almost UNBELIEVABLE. You will now have to purchase them through me and I insist on a slight markup. Sorry for bypassing the system but business is business.

Oh yeah, before you contact me please go back to the original post and read the first letter of each wine vertically. And please take special note of the date.

Good one, Don.

I just got this email, and this cellar is going to be first-come first-served, but I'll give everyone until Monday at noon to have an equal chance.  No partial lots.  I'm going to be off-line for awhile, so please reply on this thread rather than PM, and I'll check as time permits.  I'd buy most of these myself if I wasn't short on cash.  Cheers, and have at it.  Rocks. 

You know, that's just not funny. I passed on some other things this weekend because I allocated funds for these wines. Now those other oportunities are gone. Just not funny to have let it go on past the 1st...... <_<

Yes I know, you could give a shit about me. ;)