"Unhappy Campers"

mdt

if you stay too long at the table when you are camping, anything can happen and you should expect the unexpected.

in a provincial park in nova scotia, we were taking our time with dinner. we were trying to feed the boys reconstituted slop, which they liked so much that we needed to caution them to save room for their cookies, but one of them was afraid of flying insects and kept leaving the picnic table. after a long while, some jays got tired of waiting for us to finish and started dive bombing a loaf of bread and the rest of our camp chow. they flew up into the trees over our tents, and when we looked up, there were easily a dozen hot dogs and other goodies hanging from the branches!

by the way, there is no truth to the rumor that if you decide to take a nap at your table at two amys after finishing a couple of desserts, they will send toddlers who have been waiting a long time over to take a bite out of your ankle by promising them pizza. however, i have seen with my own eyes that children who stay too long at colorado kitchen are forced to do their homework.

Recently witnessed an outburst by one couple of a foursome who, after having completed their dinner, proceeded to berate the hostess and owner of the restaurant while on their way out because they'd had to wait 20 minutes for their table (lots of people 'camping' that night). "But we had a reservation!! That is totally unacceptable!! I've (the woman) been in the restaurant business for years and that's just rude!! We won't be back!!" (Yay! :) )

Once again my admiration runs deep for those of you who choose this often rewarding, but many times thankless, line of work.

-Camille

i however, i have seen with my own eyes that children who stay too long at colorado kitchen are forced to do their homework.

Those are Gillian's kids, but they've more recently graduated to helping out with the table service. It doesn't seem to be a problem tho---if I understand correctly, they are doing very well in their schools.