Pearson's, Glover Park

Went over to Pearson's today to check out the 30% off sale. What I noticed was that comparitively speaking their sticker prices are around 25-30% higer than most stores (i.e CW) to begin with. Thus, while "looking good on paper" this deal is not all that special. One example, a 2004 Kennedy Point Sauvignon Blanc from NZ-- $19.99 at Pearson's and $14.99 at CW.

Stopped by Sat morning and gotta agree that this was a bust. I don't really get to Pearson's much and was surprised by the prices. They are about 20% or so higher than most other places I go, so the 30% savings wasn't much of a deal.

"Larry!"

I was standing in a nearly empty Pearson's this evening, just before closing time. A gray-haired gentleman with coke-bottle-thick, black-rimmed glasses looked up from the shelf that he was stocking.

He had no idea who I was.

"How would you have done against Bobby Fischer?"

Without even thinking about it, he replied, "I played him in 61. Beat him head-to-head."

"I don't believe you."

We talked further.

It was the New York Chess and Checkers Club, and Larry Gilden, later named a chess FIDE Master, played Fischer in about 25 games of 5-minute speed chess.

"Beat him once, played him to a draw three times."

"He won twenty games?"

"Yeah, about that."

"Was he that good?"

He nodded his head. "He was a genius. It's a shame he didn't get the rest of his life in order."

"Is it true you have a gambit named after you?"

I had heard of the Gilden Gambit.

He denied it. "I'm in the books, but I don't think there's anything named after me."

Still...

Think I'm bullshitting? Click. Click. Click.

Cheers Larry,

Rocks.

From Pearson's website:

We offer the finest selection of wines and spirits, a knowledgeable staff ready to help, competitive prices, a newsletter eager to educate, daily wine tastings to help you choose, and one of the largest parking lots in the city. We Welcome you to Pearson's.

Their parking lot is admittedly larger than Paul's, but one of the largest in the city?

From Pearson's website:

Their parking lot is admittedly larger than Paul's, but one of the largest in the city?

I once lost my car in the third spot on the right there. It must have taken me an hour to find, as I thought I left it in the fourth spot on the left. Thankfully, the attendant was on duty, handed me one of those "you are here maps", spun me around 180 degrees, and voila! there was my car.