Tysons Bagel Market, Leesburg Pike

http://www.tysonsbagelmarket.com

Yummy bagels, spreads, sandwiches, and hazelnut coffee from this place (with its very friendly staff) make living near or shopping near Tysons Corner just a bit more bearable. Everything about this place is welcoming and relaxing, from the staff members who truly do remember your face, name, and order, to the way it smells right when you hit the door. It's just general bagel bliss.

I stopped by there on my way to work this morning to give them a try. I like that they put spread on both halves of the bagel and that they don't have any of that nasty corn meal on the bottom like Einstein Bagels.

Unfortunately, these bagels are not in the same league as my favorite in the DC area ... Bethesda Bagel (formerly whatsabagel) on Bethesda Avenue.

These guys have been serving out bagels with long lines for a while now. You go in and it is an organized chaos as there are more servers behind the counter than the counter is wide ... so you have to wait to be called and track your server through the maddness. They get everyone out pretty quickly and their bagels are the perfect blend of good size, crusty outside and chewy inside.

I remember back in 1995 when I was out of college and Brugers bagels were coming into the area everywhere (to be replaced by Einstein ...yuk). Brugers put in a location about 4 doors down from Bethesda Bagel and when I would go out there on the weekends you would see a long line out of Bethesda Bagel and not a soul in Brugers. Needless to say, Brugers moved out pretty quickly.

At Tysons Bagel Market, the Bul Go Gi Omelet ($8.09) is the only thing (other than Googling "Tysons Bagel Market") that reveals Korean ownership. A Bacon, Egg, and Cheddar Eggwich ($4.49) is a good version of this oft- (and justifiably) maligned sandwich, with good bacon and a freshly cracked egg grilled on the flattop (NOT always the case). The bagels here are better than the norm, but not the dilute coffee, which somehow manages to be less viscous than a cup of hot water. My first al fresco meal of 2009, right in the parking lot staring at two delivery vans owned by this busy bagelry.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I love this place so much that my husband and I make the trek from DC on as many Sundays as we can. I secretly hoped for a long time when we were dating that he would propose by hiding the ring in the light cream cheese layer of their wonderfully spiced cheese bagel, a small hazlenut coffee with loads too much half-and-half steaming merrily nearby.

For those who have long loved the chewy, yeast-y, awesome-y goodness of Tysons Bagel Market, you might be dismayed to hear that they have recently redecorated. Unfortunately, a new paint job and new signage means this place no longer looks like a cross between The Max from "Saved by the Bell" and the Northside Middle School cafeteria in Anderson, Indiana, circa 1992. As a Lutheran and a Midwesterner, I don't like change, but luckily the bagels are as tasty as ever, and the staff is as friendly as ever. And so I will happily continue to visit and have already started dreaming of finding diamond stud earrings in the cream cheese on my 50th wedding anniversary.

At Tysons Bagel Market, the Bul Go Gi Omelet ($8.09) is the only thing (other than Googling "Tysons Bagel Market") that reveals Korean ownership. A Bacon, Egg, and Cheddar Eggwich ($4.49) is a good version of this oft- (and justifiably) maligned sandwich, with good bacon and a freshly cracked egg grilled on the flattop (NOT always the case). The bagels here are better than the norm, but not the dilute coffee, which somehow manages to be less viscous than a cup of hot water. My first al fresco meal of 2009, right in the parking lot staring at two delivery vans owned by this busy bagelry.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I had by far the best thing I've ever had at Tysons Bagel Bakery for lunch today: the Bibimbap ($10, includes soup or soda) was worth ordering (I got a Diet Coke, so can't vouch for the soup). The only thing that wasn't pre-prepped was the beef, which was done on the flat top grill, the dish then assembled in a bowl. The rice came out of a rice cooker (I think) and was good, hot, and sticky.

I've sort of gathered for awhile now that this has been Korean-owned for at least several years, but given that the cashier wrote my order in Korean, then yelled over to the grill station in Korean (which was followed by an amazed look, and "Yeah?!" - I guess they don't have too many white boys ordering the bibimbap :)), I'm now even more sure.

You won't be upset if you get this - it's a pretty good-sized bowlful, and definitely one of the "sleeper" lunch options in Tysons Corner.

On 5/10/2012 at 4:06 PM, DonRocks said:

I had by far the best thing I've ever had at Tysons Bagel Bakery for lunch today: the Bibimbap ($10, includes soup or soda) was worth ordering (I got a Diet Coke, so can't vouch for the soup). The only thing that wasn't pre-prepped was the beef, which was done on the flat top grill, the dish then assembled in a bowl. The rice came out of a rice cooker (I think) and was good, hot, and sticky.

I've sort of gathered for awhile now that this has been Korean-owned for at least several years, but given that the cashier wrote my order in Korean, then yelled over to the grill station in Korean (which was followed by an amazed look, and "Yeah?!" - I guess they don't have too many white boys ordering the bibimbap :)), I'm now even more sure.

You won't be upset if you get this - it's a pretty good-sized bowlful, and definitely one of the "sleeper" lunch options in Tysons Corner.

I believe its been Korean owned for decades and I counted it among the best bagel shops in the region for decades in my mind right toward the top.  Damned if I didn't visit virtually all of them in MD, DC and VA at some point in time.

20 minutes ago, DaveO said:

I believe its been Korean owned for decades and I counted it among the best bagel shops in the region for decades in my mind right toward the top.  Damned if I didn't visit virtually all of them in MD, DC and VA at some point in time.

I hate to say it, but "decades" might be accurate. Haven't been to TBM in a while, but we went regularly back in the mid-late 90s and it changed over to Korean ownership during that time, IIRC. Need to revisit.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bob Wells said:

I hate to say it, but "decades" might be accurate. Haven't been to TBM in a while, but we went regularly back in the mid-late 90s and it changed over to Korean ownership during that time, IIRC. Need to revisit.

I know it became Korean owned before 2000, how much earlier than that I don't recall.  Before that change I thought it quite good for the region and after that change I couldn't detect a change in the bagel quality.  Isn't that great?  You don't have to be Jewish to make a great bagel.  Now can a life long Jewish deli man make good bulgogi?   Don't know!!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DaveO said:

I know it became Korean owned before 2000, how much earlier than that I don't recall.  Before that change I thought it quite good for the region and after that change I couldn't detect a change in the bagel quality.  Isn't that great?  You don't have to be Jewish to make a great bagel.  Now can a life long Jewish deli man make good bulgogi?   Don't know!!!

The Bagel Bin -- a mini-chain in the Columbia MD area -- also went from Jewish to Korean owned (not that someone couldn't be both) and the quality didn't suffer. Their Black Russian bagel is outstanding.

Agree we need more evidence on the converse!

• Like 1