Sakana, Dupont Circle

i've eaten at Uni several times, each time swearing not to return and having only the memory of Sushi Ko and Kaz to console me, but yet I return....I can only say that the sushi is okay and I've never been tempted to eat anything else. It's definately not first rate but it IS convenient and it's not bad...it's just okay and if that's something you can live with....There are definetly better sushi restaurants around, just none on that part of P St. If you go stick with the sushi.

I'm a fan of Sakana on P, about a block away from Uni. The service can be slow, but I've never had a problem with the freshness of the fish.

Sakana is a reliable neighborhood joint, and in my four years of living around the corner, I found it unwaveringly friendly and steady. I wouldn't go there looking for gustatory heights, and the sushi list is unfortunately given to kinky concoctions a la Rock-n-Roll sushi, but stick with traditional choices and you should be fine. Damn cheap, too.

Stopped in for lunch today. My friend suggested we go there. I must have walked by this place 25 times before without noticing it (there's three sushi places almost right next to each other on that strip of P: Uni, Japone, and Sakana). Fresh fish, decent prices. I've become a big fan of Oshinko (pickled Japanese vegetables) lately.

This place seems to be like the official cafeteria of my office, but I don't think I'll be spending my lunch money here anymore. Twice now I've gone there and been pretty grossed out by the donburi and noodle bowls I've gotten. And I don't know if they're dousing the food in MSG or what, but I can't bring myself to go here anymore.

Kotobuki, my favorite place for inexpensive sushi is closed on Mondays. A friend suggested Sakana as an alternative. Nice space, fine service and good prices. We had my try-out-a-new-place list: tuna, salmon, yellowtail and tomago, plus a couple of rolls. Everything was good, and the salmon was great. It wasn't at the level of the finer places around town, but it's definitely more convenient to where I live than Kotobuki and it was good for a casual dinner.

Kotobuki, my favorite place for inexpensive sushi is closed on Mondays. A friend suggested Sakana as an alternative. Nice space, fine service and good prices. We had my try-out-a-new-place list: tuna, salmon, yellowtail and tomago, plus a couple of rolls. Everything was good, and the salmon was great. It wasn't at the level of the finer places around town, but it's definitely more convenient to where I live than Kotobuki and it was good for a casual dinner.

That's how I feel about this place. Definitely not the best, or even close to it. But at just a few blocks away from my house, it's my go-to when I can't be bothered to leave the neighborhood, and it always delivers a solid performance.

Their udon, by the way? Also very tasty.

This is my neighborhood sushi restaurant and I really love it. The service is always friendly and the prices are affordable. Next time you go you have to try the Sakana Tempura Roll. It's amazing! My bf introduced it to me on one of our first dates and I've passed the joy on to many of my friends. Delicious!!