Jelly Bean Wine Bar

By far the most unusual thing I saw at the St. Michael's Food and Wine Festival were the samples from the Jelly Bean Wine Bar being offered at the Wine Coach's table.

Any of you wine experts familiar with this? It appears to be a concept that Wine X Magazine has developed. (Jason Priestley is listed as the "Executive Producer" on the magazine's website...is it THAT Jason Priestley, as in 90210?? :) )

Anyway, I got a sample of the Cortese mix...I suppose it would have been nice to have a taste of that variety of wine to compare it with. I got the general idea, but having a mouth full of about 10 jelly beans :angry: wasn't my idea of fun.

On the other hand, for those of us (like me) who are a bit overwhelmed by the world of wine, it is a very basic way to break down the flavor components of a particular variety. Being given those basic aroma and taste concepts could potentially provide a starting point of descriptors. Quick example from a look at the website - I probably wouldn't have known that Peach might appear in a non-New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.

So - has anyone tried this? What do you think?

By far the most unusual thing I saw at the St. Michael's Food and Wine Festival were the samples from the Jelly Bean Wine Bar being offered at the Wine Coach's table. 

Anyway, I got a sample of the Cortese mix...I suppose it would have been nice to have a taste of that variety of wine to compare it with.  I got the general idea, but having a mouth full of about 10 jelly beans  :) wasn't my idea of fun.

So - has anyone tried this?  What do you think?

Hmmm, sounds a bit queer to me. Wine is supposed to strip the enamel off your teeth, not pull out your fillings! :angry: