And The Winner Of The 2006 James Beard Award

DonRocks

...you'll just have to check back at this site after the awards are announced this evening for breaking news - my spies have this one well-covered.

Good luck to Mark Furstenberg, Fabio Trabocchi, Peter Pastan, Cindy Wolff, and Christopher Lee (Philadelphia).

See you back here tonight,

Rocks.

I hope those spies don't forget to report back on Michel Richard, too.

But of course. Michel is nominated for the national award for Outstanding Chef, along with Tom Colicchio of Craft (NYC), Hubert Keller of Fleur de Lys (San Francisco), Nobuyuki Matsuhisa of Matsuhisa (Los Angeles), and Alfred Portale of Gotham Bar & Grill (NYC). This will be the final award of the evening. Good luck to all the nominees.

(And go Michel!).

Between Roberto on Sunday and Fabio on Monday Washington, D. C. has done very well on the national stage in the past few days.  I'm actually shocked to return home and find so little discussion of either event.

To keep things on topic and in the correct thread. Joe posted this on the Iron Chef thread

Joe,

I don't think that there has been much talk about Fabio's win because the right guy won. Hence, no outrage to electronically spew upon hundreds of unknown readers.

I just want to call attention to the incredible achievement of Michel being nominated for the national award-a very real honor regardless of the result. And to the others and their nominations, regardless of their result. For Fabio, a bow and lengthy applause-he has long paid his dues in a number of cities, yet he takes his highest step here and is now at the top of this ladder.

In years past I've seen lengthy threads on CH and eG talking about the same awards. I was just very surprised that there was just passing reference.

Unfortuantely the Beard awards have picked up a bit of the stench that surronds the organization as a whole. And there is a real perception of a New York bias.

Which result do you look at for verification - Fabio winning a completely deserved award in the Mid-Atlantic region or someone like Alfred Portale wining the National award who, by most accounts was doing his best work somewhere in 1992?

Is it possible to acknowledge the ones they get right and ignore the ones they get wrong?

Is it possible to acknowledge the ones they get right and ignore the ones they get wrong?

Yes, especially if the ones they get right are our local heroes. :)

Seriously, Bill, your point is well-taken, but I think that we can and should acknowledge the deserving nominees and winners.

I suppose that at any given time there will be sentimental favorites or individuals whose reputation exceeds their own grasp, but maybe we can look forward to more local (deserving) nominees and winners, and the healthy competition created will benefit us all as diners.

From today's NY Post:

June 14, 2006 -- THE James Beard Foundation, which has taken its lumps with financial scandal and charges of cronyism, now has serious competition for its annual awards program. The Post's Braden Keil reports the Food Network will present its own yearly "Food Network Awards" starting next February in Miami Beach. The Feb. 24 fete will be part of the weekend-long Food Network South Beach Wine & Food Festival, which will feature the cable channel's stars including Bobby Flay, Tyler Florence, and permanently perky Rachel Ray. The show will air at a later date.

Are they kidding??

From today's NY Post:

Are they kidding??

he shows on the foodnetwork are so boring now... what happend. BTW did anyon see Mayor Williams on the Emeril show the other night. I was flipping through and he was sitting at the food bar. All the good shows are on Food TV Canda, which they show on Fine Living. I know I got off subject. Sorry