Ceviche

erikv

Does anyone have any ceviche recipes to share? I would love to prepare some for an upcoming dinner party, but have no good recipes at home. Thanks!

jose andres had a good one last summer, and i think i picked it up from the jaleo web site, which doesn't have anything of much interest right now, except a plug for mushroom cooking demonstrations this week. i may still have a copy at home and i would expect to find it in his cookbook, although i am not certain it is there. it was quite refined, and i cut a few corners, but it still turned out to be a crowd pleaser.

actually, substitute gazpacho for ceviche and everything in my previous post is true. i am juggling too many things today and i was thinking about gazpacho because there is some in the refrigerator from a source unknown by me. but if he has a ceviche recipe, and i don't see why he shouldn't, i bet it is a good one.

Tilapia Ceviche

A great summer appetizer!

Ingredients:

About 3 pounds of Tilapia

1 ½ pound of langostino tail (optional) If available at the store

30 lemons

10 limes

½ cup of orange juice

Three red onions

1 ½ cup or two of cilantro

2 habañeros peppers (optional)

1 stalk of celery

Salt and white pepper

For Mise en place:

Squeeze the lemon juice, (an electrical juicer will save you time and pain)

Pour the juice in a plastic or a glass container. Set aside

Diced the onions and finely chop the cilantro . Set aside in a separate bowls

Using latex gloves to protect your hands, finely chop the habañeros peppers. Set aside

Dice the Tilapia and the langostino tail (if serving).

Procedure:

Add all ingredients in a plastic container or a glass bowl.

Adding the Cilantro an hour or two before serving.

Make sure that the fish is completely covered with the juice.

Refrigerate overnight or for 24 hours. Add the orange juice to balance the acidity should you consider this necessary!. Remember! you are not adding flavor you are balancing it.

You will notice a change in color and texture of the fish while cooking.. I love it!

You should be able to taste the difference the following day.

Enjoy,

Partly inspired by a caterer we used with great success Saturday night, we got a nice fillet of real (go figure) red snapper so made a light ceviche dinner with that using fresh-squeezed lime juice to "cook" the fish and then very fine dicing (brunoise) some cukes, red pepper, and red onion along with some thin-sliced avocado.  Easy and delicious paired with some homemade, sea-salted sweet potato chips.

I recently had a fantastic scallop ceviche at Ris and was thinking of trying to make something like it. ["lime marinated scallops with chilies, orange, avocado and tequila ice"]  Looks like it's time to revive this thread.  So, anyone else have recipes/ideas to contribute?

Great thread I hadn't realized existed. In retrospect, of course it does. ;)

I can share the recipe I used if interested later. It did come out quite well.

I love ceviche and, of course, the fresher/better the fish, the more it shines with non-heat "cooking." I don't like using Tilapia for that reason (or for much of anything) but with all the threats to fish stocks, have to be careful. Probably obvious but the type and freshness of the fish seems pretty critical even relative to the ingredient truism as applied to any dish.

That aside, many (most) Latin American ceviches I've had here and there chop or dice the fish finely (usually while partly frozen so easier to handle with a sharp blade) so the acid (usually citrus) acts faster.

I personally prefer very thin-sliced ceviche which is maybe more common in more fusion-ish, creative restaurants here. Not sure but my sense from my own experience.

One thing certain: in summer a great ceviche is a wonderful thing.

Yes, please, and thanks.

This is a recipe I adapted from Marcela Valladolid

Red-Snapper Ceviche

6 servings

Ingredients

2 pounds wild snapper fillets, thin sliced* (see Note)

1 cup lime juice (about 8 large limes)

1/2 cup seeded chopped tomato (I slice the exterior of the tomato to use, reserving the seedy interior for other uses)

1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely diced

1/2 cup finely chopped red onion

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 serrano (can also use jalapeno or habanero) chile, optional

Tortillas, recipe follows, or 6 purchased tortillas

1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced

1 lime, cut into wedges

Directions

Chill the fresh fish in the freezer for 15-30 minutes so it firms before slicing thin (1/4" at most). Lay the slices into a large non-reactive dish. Pour the lime juice over the fish and shake the dish gently to ensure the juice covers all the fisth. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator until the fish is white throughout, about 20 to 30 minutes.

While the fish is "cooking," mix the tomato, cucumber, onion, and cilantro in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Remove the fish from the refrigerator and drain off the lime juice. Discard the lime juice.  Arrange the slices on serving plates and top with a line of the mixed and seasoned diced vegetables.

Arrange the avocado slices on top of the ceviche and serve immediately with the lime wedges alongside.

Notes

The fish is easiest to slice or dice when it is partially frozen; this also makes for a much cleaner presentation. Use a very sharp knife.  Slicing is a personal preference but can work well as a taco or served atop the tostadas if dicedd.

Warmed Tortillas:

6 fresh corn tortillas

Hold over the flame of a gas burner for about 15 secs per side.  Lay warmed tortillas into a serving dish covered by a clean dish towel to keep warm.