Bubbly Reds

Did anyone see this article in the SF Chronicle?

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file...WIGO9CSFBM1.DTL

I am ALWAYS tempted by the sparking reds at Ray's by Mr. BLB isn't much of a drinker so I stick to the cava followed by something red to go with the steak.

I love the gragano at 2 Amy's.

Am I candidate for one of these Australian wines???

Jennifer

I love the gragano at 2 Amy's.

FYI-- I was in Calvert Woodley today and they have the Gragnano on sale for $11.

Best Cellars carries another sparkling Italian red, La Sera Malvasia. Fairly sweet, it works as a pleasant dessert wine.

From Pearson's email today:

WORLD'S BEST PIZZA WINE

It's summer and I'm still writing about red wines.

I have a friend who travels to Italy all the time. Every time he returns he raves about this farmer's wine he gets in Sorrento. The last time he brought some back. No label. We drank his homemade wine with his homemade pasta. Delicious.

Picture this. You pour it out of the bottle and it develops a fizzy, frothy head. A minute later it settles down. You're a bit confused. What's going on here? You lift the glass to your nose for some grapey, smokey aromas.

You serve this wine CHILLED. It's RED and it's DRY and it SPARKLES. The best summer time red wine ever.

You won't believe where I found it (unless you already know) . . . at 2 Amys on Macomb Street where it's their pizza wine.

GRAGNANO 2004

DELLA PENISOLA SORRENTINA

CANTINE GROTTA DEL SOL

Reg 15.99 EMAIL PRICE $11.99

OPEN FOR TASTING

Bummed I didn't check this out earlier, I just bought a couple of bottles at CW for $13.99

Sparkling Shiraz, well they just don't seem to be all that great. Either its 100 percent shiraz, and its to rich. The balance isn't all there. Then you get Vixen Shiraz, made by Fox Creek, and a blend of cabernet, cab franc and shiraz. Good, but not light enough. Still a work in progress from what I have tasted and dicussed with others.

Brachetto d'Acqui is a nice red sparkler from Italy.  More of a dessert wine though.  And it's a DOCG, believe it or not!

In case you were wondering about what DCOG meant....There are four major categories of Italian wines:

Vino Da Tavola

Vino a Indicazione Geografica (IGT)

Vino a Denominazione di Origine Controllata (DOC)

Vino a Denominazione di Origine Controllata e Garantita (DOCG)

DOCG wines are produced in specific well-defined regions, according to specific rules designed to preserve the traditional wine-making practices of the individual regions. Very similiar to DOC, but with stricter provisions that typically result in lower grape yields.

Edited by alan7147

2 Amy's only serves wines from southern Italy, and co-owner Peter Pastan has a great selection.

I occasionally have need for the Hardy's Sparkling Shiraz, and I remember that Rupert's used to serve it by-the-glass.

Right now, I think the only sparkling red that I have call for is the Banfi Brachetto d'Acqui, both in 375ml and 750ml, and the Ca' Del Solo "Freisa" (from Bonny Doon Vineyards).

I'd definitely serve them chilled.

Paula and I opened a bottle of Paringa 2004 Sparkling Shiraz last night. In a blind taste test, this stuff would not be distinguishable from grape soda. Just terrible, terrible stuff that was too sickenly sweet. Can anybody recommend a sparkling shiraz that won't cause tooth decay?

Paula and I opened a bottle of Paringa 2004 Sparkling Shiraz last night. In a blind taste test, this stuff would not be distinguishable from grape soda. Just terrible, terrible stuff that was too sickenly sweet. Can anybody recommend a sparkling shiraz that won't cause tooth decay?

I think Paringa, Marquis Phillips, Mollydooker and a whole lot of .Made for the USA' aussie wine is in exactly the same vein. I avoid that stuff like the plague. There are a lot better offerings from down under, sparkling or not, to choose from.

Not Shiraz, but I love the Cantina del Pino Langhe Freisa. Tart red, dolcetto like with a nice fuzz. Chill it and serve it up with some piggy parts for a real treat.

Hello all, my name is Rob and this is my very first post! Just started browsing this site on a whim, and given my interests I figured a quick shout out on "sparkling reds" would be a great place to begin. Have any of ya'll been exposed to the La Fracchia Voulet Casorzo? It is very much in a similar vein to the aforementioned Gragnano, if slightly sweeter and a tad less fizzy (um... and of origin about 400 miles further north...). It is easily one of our best sellers, and I am surprised it hasn't come up before. Check it out!