DR.com Sneak Peek Dinner @ Ray's The Classics

Mock Don Well Dinner

We will be hosting, through the good graces and tireless efforts of hillvalley and donrockwell.com, a series of preview dinners at Ray's The Classics in Silver Spring. The dinner will feature selections from the breath-taking and ground-breaking menu of Chef Michael Hartzer (which will NOT be revealed in its entirety or discussed). The dinner will be open to members of donrockwell.com and one quest per registered member. The cost will be $25 per person ALL of which will be donated to the charity or charities selected by Mr. Rockwell. Additional contributions to that evening's charity will be collected at the event for those who feel that $25 is too cheap.

Cash bar (no credit cards) will be available--wine, beer, limited cocktails.

We will add to the event until all demand has been met.

We will start with three dates, Thursday July 13, Friday, July 14 and Saturday, July 15 for 50 guests each, and go from there.

We would like to ask that posting on the board prior to the event be held to a minimum, and that the event itself be 100% post and picture free.

-Michael Landrum

If you would like to join us for this special event please PM me with your real name, preferred dates and if you would like to bring one guest. For now we are starting with the three dates mentioned above. If needed we will add more.

Please read this FAQ on how to attend an event if you have any questions.

Prepayment will be required. The total cost will be $30 plus PayPal fees and will include tip. This event is noncarnivore friendly: there will be fish and vegetarian options available.

I hope you will join us for this special sneak preview.

If the title did not make it sufficiently clear, there will be a theme to these dinners, which is to mock Don well, lovingly and gently if he is not present, mercilessly if he is present. Also, the final dinner will be a slight variation on this theme and will turn into a Don, Mock Well dinner in which he will, in turn, mock all of us via live satellite webcast, and mock us well he will.

I want to reiterate: Michael is going to donate the entire $25 to charity (the other $5 will be used to tip the servers). I'm now in the enviable position of selecting an organization that will be receiving several thousand dollars - I'll do so this week and let you guys know.

There will be a wine list and a cash bar at this event. There's no obligation for anyone to order drinks, but I do hope people decide to splurge a bit given the unbelievable generosity Michael is showing with these events.

Also, for any guests interested in attending - this is a perfect time to register and become a member. No pun intended, but ... clique (okay so I lied).

Cheers,

Rocks

This event is noncarnivore friendly: there will be fish and vegetarian options available.

The word has long been out that the other Michael (Hartzer) has had his wings clipped by doing the same damn thing night after night at RTS. Now he's going to spread his gills and swim. All I can say is, "Gurgle, gurgle!" That's the aquatic equivalent of "Yippie-ai-ay!"

Answers to questions I have received:

1. Ray's The Classic IS metro accessible

2. There is parking on the street or $3 in a lot behind the building(I love Silver Spring)

3. Time: 7:00pm all three nights

Please note that the kitchen cannot accept any special dietary requests.

If I have asked you to email me please do so ASAP! There is a very short turn around time with this event and I will need your prompt cooperation. Thanks!

If I have asked you to email me please do so ASAP! There is a very short turn around time with this event and I will need your prompt cooperation.

Please make sure to include your real name and screen name so I know who the email is from.

A couple of more things.......

If this is your first event, or have questions about paypal please take a moment to read this FAQ. It will answer many questions you may have and help you understand the process a bit. If you have any questions after you have read the FAQ please send me a PM, not an email and I will do my best to answer them. Merci

Please give me a few hours to respond to your PM, even if you see that I am logged on. There is no need to email me as well. I promise to respond to all PM's in a timely manner :unsure: . Right now there is plenty of room for each night so there is no need to worry if you go the night you asked for.

Thanks to everyone who has emailed me! I really appreciate it. I go back to work on Monday so all PayPal fund requests will be out by Sunday at the latest, although I am aiming for tomorrow.

There are still spots open for all three nights so it's not too late if you are just logging in. Just shoot me a PM :unsure:

A little explanation....please Do Not PM me your email address. I need you to email me at the address I provide. The email should include your real and screen name. It should come from the same email address that is attached to your PayPal account, not a different email address.

I do this because I learned the hard way, from previous events, that I need to ensure that your email address is not blocked by my spam blocker. Having you email me also ensures that I have the correct address saved in my address book. This small step from you saves me a lot of confusion later. I thank you for your help.

Again, a more detailed explanation of all this is available in the FAQ.

(17 of you still need to email me. Please do so as soon as possible, thanks! :unsure: )

BYOB is not going to be an option at this event. Michael will have a cash bar (literally, he will only be accepting cash) for you to purchase wine, beer and alcohol.

I have sent out the paypal fund requests for Thursday night. If you did not receive one and have sent me your email please let me know. :unsure: Thanks to those who have already completed the transaction.

Here are the lists for each date. Please make sure I have you down for the correct night. I have not listed the plus ones, just the member.

Thursday

Bonz

Buckinghamilton

Capitol Icebox

Cucas87

DanCole42

DanielK

Dcjono

eoksala

ericv

Escoffier/grover

gwh

Hm212

holdtheline

jblum

LizH

Logan Circle

melgold

Montgomery Maid

ncpindc

New Foodie

pappy

Raisab

Rissa P

ScotteM

StephenB

tripewriter/walrus

Friday

alain7147

Banco

barbara

clayrae

Cooter

crescentfresh

dcfoodie

dfmcpete

Drive-by Critic

hattiana

heather

jpw

ljauss

Lydia R.

mdjordy

mtpleasanteater

Perrik

pidgey

reverbrad

shogun

Sportsgirl

starfish

The Doctor

Twinkerlin

woodleygrrl

Xochitl10

Saturday

agm

Billy Delion

bncapa

bookluvinbabe

crazeegirl

Dc in DC

dcdavidm

diannesh

Hannah

jm chen

johnb

Keithstq

MC Horoscope

MeMc

nashman1975

Principia

rbh

Robgirl

squidsdc

sunshine

tfbrennan

V.H.

wahoooob

zoramargolis

The address is 8606 Colesville Rd. at the corner of Georgia Ave. Parking on the street doesn't become available until 7pm. Your best bet if you are driving is to pay the $3 and park in the lot behind the building. The entrance to the lot is on Georgia Ave. The restaurant is about a five minute walk from the red line if you prefer Metro.

To those who are just finding the thread, I am taking names for the waiting list. Depending on how long the list becomes we will either open up more spots on Friday and Saturday or add another night.

Again, a greatful thank you to those who have taken a moment and completed their PayPal payment. There is a waiting list full of people who have offered bribes :unsure: as well as to pay their PayPal as soon as it is sent. Your payment is your reservation confirmation so please take care of it today.

The majority of you are all set and have nothing to worry about. I thank you for working with me so quickly.

Deadline for payment is 10:00pm Monday night. If I have not heard from you by then your spot will be offered up to people on the waiting list. If you are having trouble with your PayPal account email me and we will work something out.

We still have not decided if we will open up additional spots Friday and Saturday or if we will add on a fourth night. The decision will be made primarily based on how many additional people express interest. I will let you know as soon as we do ;)

If you are just finding this thread all hope is not lost. Please PM me and let me know if you can attend Friday or Saturday or are interested in the additional night, along with your real name.

If you are lucky enough to make it off of the waiting list you will have 24 hours once you have received your PayPal fund request.

I will have very limited Internet access and time this week so I will need your cooperation as well as your understanding if I do not get back to you as quickly as I have been able to this last week. Unfortunately I have to return to work and since they actually pay me for my time they get first priority. :unsure:

With your help this will be the last time I have to post an administrative post and the rest will be filled with information on enjoying what I promise will be a fantastic evening full of great food and Michael's musings :P

Guess who has Internet access (but still no time :unsure: )

When I receive your PayPal payment I send an email confirming the payment.

So, if you have not heard from me that means I have not received your payment. There are a couple of people who have sent the payment but I have not received it so if you think you paid but have not heard from me let me know. As long as I know the money is coming, or you are trying, we can work something out ;)

Hellooooooooooo

Couple of things....directions will be posted but the address is listed above so you can always mapquest it. The restaurant is at the corner of Colesville (sp?) and Georgia Ave., right across from the AFI Theater. The restaurant is also Metro accessible via the Red Line. I think it's about a 5 minute walk.

Also, Please Do Not Email/PM Michael with your questions. Instead please contact me via PM or email and I will find out the information for you :unsure:

Thanks

Answers to questions I have received:

1. Ray's The Classic IS metro accessible

2. There is parking on the street or $3 in a lot behind the building(I love Silver Spring)

There is also free garage parking 2-3 blocks away from Ray's Classics. The one on Roder Road here:

http://www.silverspringdowntown.com/transportation.php?md=32

is probably the most convenient. If you leave the lot after 8 PM, there is no charge for parking.

The restaurant is at Georgia & Colesville, essentially the center of this map.

Steve

Is there a dress code?

I've certainly been to RTS in shorts (I think), but I'm not sure if this is a more upscale place.

Although, even if it isn't, since this is sort of a "charity ball" should I be dressing nice?

I usually dress like a schlemeil, even to the office, so don't say "just wear what you'd wear to work" :unsure:

I will be arriving at the Thursday dinner at Ray's Classic via metro from a downtown meeting, but I will need to get back to VA afterward. I live in Arlington near the East Falls Church Metro -- so if anyone attending would be willing to give me a ride home, I'd appreciate it.

Jimmy

Don's pulling your chain, Dan. 17th century costume is de rigeur at Ray's the Classics. Breeches are a must, but cape is optional -- it IS July, after all.
You forgot to mention the cod piece!!! It's an absolute requirement for all men who enter the doors tomorrow night.

[honestly? it's clothes optional]

I found this thread too late I guess :unsure:

Is there a waiting in line list now?

If anyone is interested in an additional night next week, please PM or email hillvalley.

There may be quite a few who could go next week but presumed since hillvalley didn't post about it, it can't be done.

Thanks very much,

Eric

Does this mean that Ray's The Steaks will not be open nor functioning at 100% the next three days? I had hoped to take my mother and brother one of the next few nights...

I do believe that if it's open, it will be functioning at 100% - but - I once had trouble at another great restaurant that was throwing a big to-do on the night that I was eating and entertaining there, so just wanted to double check...

If anyone is interested in an additional night next week, please PM or email hillvalley.

There may be quite a few who could go next week but presumed since hillvalley didn't post about it, it can't be done.

Thanks very much,

Eric

They presumed correctly. The dinners are closed, there will not be an extra night, and it is too late to join us. Sorry :unsure:

As always, if there had been another night added I would have announced it.

I've had a couple of people tell me that they are just finding this thread. It is always a good idea when you log on to a) click on View New Posts at the top of the page to see if there are any new threads started and ;) check the calendar which you will find by clicking on Calendar at the top right corner. These features are only available to registered, activated members.

Does this mean that Ray's The Steaks will not be open nor functioning at 100% the next three days? I had hoped to take my mother and brother one of the next few nights...

I do believe that if it's open, it will be functioning at 100% - but - I once had trouble at another great restaurant that was throwing a big to-do on the night that I was eating and entertaining there, so just wanted to double check...

I am told by many, well my staff mostly, but also several guests, that the restaurant operates much, much, much better in my absence. Go figure.

In a few hours a group of you are about to enjoy a very special meal. The food will be excellent and you will see what magic Chef Hartzer can create in his new kitchen. Your tastebuds will thank you as they delight in dishes that remind you of the original Ray's but are clearly the start of a new era in the Ray's history.

Beyond the food, what makes this evening so special is the generosity of Michael. He understood how eagerly we have anticipated Ray's the Classics opening and wanted the people of this board to receive a special sneak preview. In addition, he is receiving no income from the next three nights except from drinks. Instead he is making a very generous contribution to a worthy cause. It is an example all of us should follow.

Events like these are what make us more than just another message board but a community. There will be attending their first event all three nights. I encourage everyone to welcome them into the community with open arms.

Finally, a five-dollar tip was included in the price of the event. I encourage you to thank your servers futher. They have a long three nights ahead of them.

Come hungry and you will leave happy. Enjoy the special meals you are about to sit down to. Relax and relish in this special sneak preview.

-hillvalley

A few pieces of housekeeping:

Please bring CASH tonight for the bar - the credit-card processor is not working, and cash is the only form of payment that can be accepted.

The next three nights are a special sneak preview. In return Michael has asked that there is No Discussion of the Meals on the Board. To those of you who post about food-related matters on other websites we ask that you honor this request on your sites and blogs as well. Thank you!

Finally, a five-dollar tip was included in the price of the event. I encourage you to thank your servers futher. They have a long three nights ahead of them.

As gracious as this suggestion is, as a training event for the staff the included gratuity is more than adequate, so no one should feel the need to include more than what has been advertised. However, we will have a means to collect additional donations for Emmaus, by which we can really do Don proud.

However, we will have a means to collect additional donations for Emmaus, by which we can really do Don proud.

There will be Emmaus brochures at the dinners that people can take home with them - this way people can volunteer or donate at their leisure, if and when they choose.

Cheers,

Rocks.

More good news for tonight...The lot behind the building, entered either from Georgia Avenue or from Fenton (through the alley right next to the building with Jerry's Subs) is available to Ray's The Classics' diners at no charge for the events of the next three nights. Just mention to the attendant that you are dining with us.