Geoducks on TV

Sthitch

Thanks for the heads up on this show I wanted to see. Seriously! Made a note it's on July 19. Bourdain also did a show on geoducks when he was in the PNW, but I have not seen it, either.

I noticed a lot of jokes about geoducks today or recently, but I'm hear to tell you that geoducks are fabulous tasting. I slice the necks thinly to eat as sashimi, and cut the rest in stips to bread in egg and panko, then quickly fry, and serve w/ tarter sauce. They are so sweet and delectable! A family favorite (I live in Seattle). Taylor Shellfish is growing millions of them on the beach in front of our vacation home on Puget Sound area.

Thanks for the heads up on this show I wanted to see. Seriously! Made a note it's on July 19. Bourdain also did a show on geoducks when he was in the PNW, but I have not seen it, either.

I noticed a lot of jokes about geoducks today or recently, but I'm hear to tell you that geoducks are fabulous tasting. I slice the necks thinly to eat as sashimi, and cut the rest in stips to bread in egg and panko, then quickly fry, and serve w/ tarter sauce. They are so sweet and delectable! A family favorite (I live in Seattle). Taylor Shellfish is growing millions of them on the beach in front of our vacation home on Puget Sound area.

Well that is just wonderful! You can have my share! :unsure:

Well that is just wonderful! You can have my share! :unsure:
When not prepared as suggested by Rocks, it can make a wonderful dish. As our little shrimp Sandpiper mentioned, certain parts make great sashimi. The last time I had it was at Kaz and was served as sushi and still kickin as the master sliced it. I am sure that if someone from Whole Foods was there to witness it they would stop selling live clams.

I think the flavor of abalone and sauteed geoduck are similar. Both sweet meat, with the additional taste of the sea. Raw geoduck sashimi tastes similar to and has the crunchiness of cucumber with the flavor of the sea. Geoduck is much sweeter than Pacific razor clams, for instance, which are also tasty. If you don't like clams in general, you will not like geoduck.

I will spare you all my photos of digging, cleaning and preparing geoducks. :unsure:

Bobby Flay's opponent made use of them on last night's Throwdown.

Clearly their not-so-subtle mention here on DR has propelled the little buggers into the national spotlight.

I saw that too and thought the same! :unsure: I have to admit, I think they look really really nasty.

The "Dirty Jobs" episode was actually rather educational as well as funny. I'm heading out to my home town of Tacoma, Wash., in August and asked my mom about geoduck farming in Puget Sound. Here's part of her reply:

"...there is a big outcry here over what this farming does to the beaches. You should see the left-over debris after a harvest. Beaches are littered with these cans which are driven deep into the beach by the hundreds for the baby geos and left there, especially after a strong tide, which loosens them and leaves them littering the shores. UGLY! I hope this will stop."

Another childhood idyll bites the dust.