Drinking in Clarendon

Baccala said:
I wish I were the arbiter elegantiarum because I would bring back Hope Key and other smaller business that have been forced out becuase of the crippling rents. The only arbiter of what people want in arlingiton is the county gov't which has seen fit to convert the blvd into the big box resturnats from hell. That is unless you like the Cheescake Factory

OK, so is it that you want commercial rent control in Arlington? That might be a first, I don't recall New York or San Francisco even going that far. Would you also decrease the property taxes on the building that the owner has to pay? And what if the building owner has other plans for that space, would you have the county force them to sign a lease that they do not wish to sign just so that another crappy faux Irish Pub does not open in the space? While you are at it, why not just have the county own all of the buildings and only allow businesses to rent the space if a committee of learned citizens decides that they are worthy. And just because I do not trust the Zimmerman, Ferguson and their ilk to decide better than the market what business thrive and which ones don’t, does not mean that I like the Cheesecake Factory, McDonalds, or Starbucks.

On another Claredon is going to hell note: Faccia Luna has lost their parking lot. *sigh*

You're kidding! When did THAT happen? Where will I get my Monday Italian fix?

FYI - my comment about Clarendon going to hell since I left was meant to be a humorous comment on how my mere presence positively affects a community. I have nothing against Clarendon. :unsure:

And I LIKE the Cheesecake Factory. Good tex-mex eggrolls. My favorite cheesecake is the vanilla bean.

OK, so is it that you want commercial rent control in Arlington? That might be a first, I don't recall New York or San Francisco even going that far. Would you also decrease the property taxes on the building that the owner has to pay? And what if the building owner has other plans for that space, would you have the county force them to sign a lease that they do not wish to sign just so that another crappy faux Irish Pub does not open in the space? While you are at it, why not just have the county own all of the buildings and only allow businesses to rent the space if a committee of learned citizens decides that they are worthy. And just because I do not trust the Zimmerman, Ferguson and their ilk to decide better than the market what business thrive and which ones don’t, does not mean that I like the Cheesecake Factory, McDonalds, or Starbucks.

Fact here is that the Gov't redeveloped this area in the hopes of driving up the tax collections and throwing out the people that make the Blvd what it was, just my opinion. Yes I do beleive that there should be controls and reabtes for local business owners. Check the facts, the abatements given to Harry's and Cheeecake fatory could have covered the rent increases for years on the smaller business. How is that acceptable ?

Check the facts, the abatements given to Harry's and Cheeecake fatory could have covered the rent increases for years on the smaller business. How is that acceptable ?

Now this just does not make any sense. You want the same government entity that gives what you term unacceptable abatements to now turn around and do something that you would consider acceptable. Who on the county board has changed since the previous unacceptable abatements took place? Why do you think that they would change course now?

You're kidding! When did THAT happen? Where will I get my Monday Italian fix?

FYI - my comment about Clarendon going to hell since I left was meant to be a humorous comment on how my mere presence positively affects a community. I have nothing against Clarendon. :)

When I drove past last night, there were fierce looking valets monitoring the lot - no sign that it was for FL customers only.

And Clarendon is going to hell. Seriously. The advent of the Commons made the boulevard has lose most of its charm. Arlington is a far cry from the place that had all the great vietnamese restaurants, the good punk rock and the cheap rent in the early 90s. (Remember Strangeways and Bardo Rodeo?)

The sign said that the landlord declined to renew the lease. I only hope that we can still get ice cream at Clare and Don's - I know that Red hot and Blue's freezers were holding their entire ice cream stash.

On another Claredon is going to hell note: Faccia Luna has lost their parking lot. *sigh*

I believe they are also moving Clare and Don's. That was a short-term lease from the beginning, from what I understand.

The advent of the Commons made the boulevard has lose most of its charm. Arlington is a far cry from the place that had all the great vietnamese restaurants, the good punk rock and the cheap rent in the early 90s. (Remember Strangeways and Bardo Rodeo?)

You must have read my mind...and - pre-Bardo - don't forget Amdo and Roratonga...

I hope that we'll see some other locally-owned, independent businesses come in to the spaces that will be vacated by Lazy Sundae and Clare and Don's.

The sign said that the landlord declined to renew the lease. I only hope that we can still get ice cream at Clare and Don's - I know that Red hot and Blue's freezers were holding their entire ice cream stash.

There is free, convenient parking in the DHS building in Clarendon, a close walk to everything. An excellent idea by the County to put that in. Not sure I see the issue.

Now this just does not make any sense. You want the same government entity that gives what you term unacceptable abatements to now turn around and do something that you would consider acceptable. Who on the county board has changed since the previous unacceptable abatements took place? Why do you think that they would change course now?

While I cannot speak for the poster, I suspect that if the govt restrained themselves from "redeveloping the area" by throwing money at large chains such conversations would be unnecessary.

While I cannot speak for the poster, I suspect that if the govt restrained themselves from "redeveloping the area" by throwing money at large chains such conversations would be unnecessary.

OK, but the poster was advocating that the same government do something that is completely 180 degrees out of phase of what it has done in the past, but with no change in the make-up of the elected officials of that government. It has redeveloped the area, and not all of it has been bad. Yes, some decent restaurants have been forced to close, or to relocated, but that could also have to do with their business practices, or personal descisions on the part of the owners.

Have they posted where in Falls Church they are moving?

They have paper slips on the counter with their new info -- they're moving to 112 North West Street, and they'll have a parking lot. The note also says they'll have a greater assortment of pastries, desserts and coffees. The person I ordered ice cream from said that their lease is up July 31 but they might move before then.

When I drove past last night, there were fierce looking valets monitoring the lot - no sign that it was for FL customers only.

At Faccia Luna this evening, there were flyers posted that said they had lost the lease on their parking lot as of June 1 and that Federal Parking had taken it over as a paid lot. Faccia Luna diners will receive $2 off their parking costs and folks getting takeout should be able to get free parking. They recommend that orders be called in ahead of time because the amount of time allowed to get in and out for the free parking is very limited.

Wow! No, I don't think Clarendon is going down the tube because it is loosing the Tax related establishments. First, neither of the Taxes establishments did brisk business during the winter months. My friends and I often commented that Clare and Don's is the perfect summer place. Ice cream is not a "hot" commodity during the winter either.

Have you been in Ri Ra? Not my scene, but it is a beautiful establishment. Seriously, they have invested a lot of money to make it very Irish. While there are a few Ri Ra, it is not a chain in the sense that Fado became a chain... but regardless the place is pretty.

Somebody (rumored to be Kinkeads) is investing a TON of money in the renovation of the restaurant on the corner past the Clarendon Ballroom. I spoke to someone at the site and the intent is to be a neighborhood American style restaurant.

Do I think the Indian Curry House makes sense? NO. But it will neither help nor hurt the neighborhood. I haven't tried it (and my love for the Bombay place in Del Ray probably will keep me from trying Indian Curry House), but fine it is what it is.

I have spoken to the people leasing all the empty space on Wilson between Herndon and Hudson . They are very excited about the potential tenants and well into negotiations for the leases. I understand that the owner of the property has gone to great strides to pick retail tenants that the neighborhood needs (and can afford the rents).

Sure there is redevelopment going on in the neighborhood. It is the nature of the beast, however, there are still many local and unique elements to love about Clarendon:

Iota

Whitlows

Galaxy Hut

Mama Quan's Tiki Hut

Kitty O'Shea's

Taste of Morocco (which recently spiffied up, even though part of the property is being converted)

The Boulevard Wood Grill

Faccia Luna (I know a mini-local chain but still local)

Kabob's Bazaar

_______ Indian near the metro (blanking)

Murky Coffee

Java Shack

Earl's Sandwich

Minh's

the Crabshack

Eleventh

Mexicali is local too...

There are still independently owned stores mixed in with the chains throughout the neighborhood too. Plus there is plenty of parking in garages scattered throughout the commerical district to allow patrons who drive convenient and relatively inexpensive parking. Even with the chains and big box stuff, this is a neighborhood.

You all are blowing Queen Bee leaving after 25 years and the Taxes relocation to a neighborhood that may sustain them on a less than seasonal basis way out of proportion.

Sure there is redevelopment going on in the neighborhood. It is the nature of the beast, however, there are still many local and unique elements to love about Clarendon:

Iota

Whitlows

Galaxy Hut

Mama Quan's Tiki Hut

Kitty O'Shea's

Taste of Morocco (which recently spiffied up, even though part of the property is being converted)

The Boulevard Wood Grill

Faccia Luna (I know a mini-local chain but still local)

Kabob's Bazaar

_______ Indian near the metro (blanking)

Indian near the metro is Delhi Club, and it's really, really, really good!

Are there any Clarendon restaurants missing from the above list? A friend and I are having dinner; she suggested Clarendon. Chains are out, as is Indian (she won't even try it). I'm trying to persuade her to head elsewhere (Bebo specifically), but just in case, what are my options?

Are there any Clarendon restaurants missing from the above list? A friend and I are having dinner; she suggested Clarendon. Chains are out, as is Indian (she won't even try it). I'm trying to persuade her to head elsewhere (Bebo specifically), but just in case, what are my options?

A short distance away is Minh's and worth the trip. Not to mention that Ray's is close as is Guajillo.

And don't forget Nam-Viet!

1127 North Hudson

Bump....

In response to an inquiry on another thread about dining near Iota...my suggestion above still stands. Click for Nam Viet's website. The place may be a little short on ambiance, but the food is good and it's one of an ever-dwindling number of locally-owned establishments in Clarendon. You probably won't have to wait to be seated either. If you park in the free lot at the Arlington County building, or take the Metro, you will be about a block from Nam Viet (and a block from Iota).

Personally, I'm a fan of Bo-Dun on Skewer, Nam-Viet grilled pork and crispy spring roll over rice vermicelli, lemongrass chicken in a clay pot, and both the garden and crispy spring rolls.

Bump....

In response to an inquiry on another thread about dining near Iota...my suggestion above still stands. Click for Nam Viet's website. The place may be a little short on ambiance, but the food is good and it's one of an ever-dwindling number of locally-owned establishments in Clarendon. You probably won't have to wait to be seated either. If you park in the free lot at the Arlington County building, or take the Metro, you will be about a block from Nam Viet (and a block from Iota).

Personally, I'm a fan of Bo-Dun on Skewer, Nam-Viet grilled pork and crispy spring roll over rice vermicelli, lemongrass chicken in a clay pot, and both the garden and crispy spring rolls.

I second the Nam Viet recommendation. We have been fans for years. Fortunately, it has been saved from the bastardization of Clarendon. I was happy to see that it did not get torn down as they literally built an apartment building over it. No more patio overlooking a parking lot - oh well. But the goodness is all inside! I recommend almost everything but my favorite is the grilled pork over vermicelli as well. Sometimes the spring rolls can be a bit greasy but oh so worth it...

Haven't been to Nam Viet for quite a while now (since we moved closer to the Eden Mall at 7 Corners), but my family used to be regulars there. The owner is quite an interesting fellow -- a former ARVN officer and one among the first waves of Vietnamese refugees who left soon after the fall of Saigon in '75. I 2nd all that was said above concerning the food at Nam Viet, at least when we frequented the establishment. Is there still the typo on the menu that says grilled Prok? :blink:

Haven't been to Nam Viet for quite a while now (since we moved closer to the Eden Mall at 7 Corners), but my family used to be regulars there. The owner is quite an interesting fellow -- a former ARVN officer and one among the first waves of Vietnamese refugees who left soon after the fall of Saigon in '75. I 2nd all that was said above concerning the food at Nam Viet, at least when we frequented the establishment. Is there still the typo on the menu that says grilled Prok? :blink:

Is this the fellow? ;)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5123001452.html

From "The List":

Restaurant 3 -- Look for American classics at the former Clarendon site of the Aegean Tavern. A vintage, turn-of-the-century bar will be the focal point of the art deco-themed interior. A June opening is targeted. (2930 Clarendon Boulevard, Clarendon, VA)

Turn of which century :blink:

Yesterday I noticed a place in the same strip that was closed, and it had a giant preview-poster of a modern-looking building in the window. Does anyone know what's going on with this block?

Yesterday I noticed a place in the same strip that was closed, and it had a giant preview-poster of a modern-looking building in the window. Does anyone know what's going on with this block?

It is my understanding that they are going to build condos on top of the existing structure. I dont think they are going to be tearing down that strip of stores but just adding on.

In other sad Clarendon news, and this is not 100% confirmed, but all of those empty storefronts just west of Highland St are not going to be occupied by 5 separate businesses. No, instead the 5 empty spaces are going to turned into one, giant CVS. No joke. Its really a shame because those spaces are great spots, right next to a metro. Arlington is starting to look more and more like Fairfax County everyday......

Its really a shame because those spaces are great spots, right next to a metro. Arlington is starting to look more and more like Fairfax County everyday......

Well, Clarendon is certainly aspiring to be a clone of Reston Town Center. :angry:

It is my understanding that they are going to build condos on top of the existing structure. I dont think they are going to be tearing down that strip of stores but just adding on.

In other sad Clarendon news, and this is not 100% confirmed, but all of those empty storefronts just west of Highland St are not going to be occupied by 5 separate businesses. No, instead the 5 empty spaces are going to turned into one, giant CVS. No joke. Its really a shame because those spaces are great spots, right next to a metro. Arlington is starting to look more and more like Fairfax County everyday......

Great news! Now the people waiting in line for the Cheesecake Factory can have somewhere to pass the time......

There is a CVS at courthouse, why another? What a shame, I was just thinking today, how this whole area, as well at the country, is just one big damn chain store.

There is a CVS at courthouse, why another? What a shame, I was just thinking today, how this whole area, as well at the country, is just one big damn chain store.

I know, its ridiculous. I said the same thing and apparently the CVS at Courthouse is VERY busy and they feel a need to have another store 1 metro stop away. Again, this is not 100%, but I have heard the same thing from development folks and Arlington County Government folks, so I think it is a done deal.

There is also a new restaurant going in on the corner a few blocks down from the old Queen Bee and record store (not sure of the cross street???). The owner I believe is the same owner as Clarendon Grill and Clarendon Ballroom. I think some other folks on this board may have some more insight on that project....

Unfortunately, there is not a whole lot of retail space available in Clarendon, however, there are more buildings going up (and down...) along the Wilson Blvd corridor, so hopefully the retail scene will improve. I am looking for about 1500 sq. ft. of space myself, so if anyone knows of anything..... :angry:

I know, its ridiculous. I said the same thing and apparently the CVS at Courthouse is VERY busy and they feel a need to have another store 1 metro stop away. Again, this is not 100%, but I have heard the same thing from development folks and Arlington County Government folks, so I think it is a done deal.

There is also a new restaurant going in on the corner a few blocks down from the old Queen Bee and record store (not sure of the cross street???). The owner I believe is the same owner as Clarendon Grill and Clarendon Ballroom. I think some other folks on this board may have some more insight on that project....

Unfortunately, there is not a whole lot of retail space available in Clarendon, however, there are more buildings going up (and down...) along the Wilson Blvd corridor, so hopefully the retail scene will improve. I am looking for about 1500 sq. ft. of space myself, so if anyone knows of anything..... :angry:

Yeah, the rumor is true about CVS. It will be right across the street from our new restaurant on the corner of Hudson and Wilson. (We haven't named the restaurant yet and are currently in the early building stages, BTW.)

Jason- If I find any 1500 sq.ft. spaces in the area, I'll give you a ring!

I've been hearing about this for years, but now it looks like it's really happening. The Clarendon of 6 years ago is almost totally gone....

http://www.examiner.com/a-1201107~New_Clar...e_go_ahead.html

It's going to be like "downtown" Silver Spring.

One of the problems with all of this new development is that the lease rates are going to be astronomical for the retail space. Thus, you will probably be looking at a lot of chain/corporate establishments in those spots. Yes, Clarendon is certainly going to lose a great deal of its neighborhood charm. However, it will be great for the retailers/restaurants that are already there....

Except for Delhi Club and Hard Times, the stores in that island between Wilson and Clarendon Blvd across from the Clarendon Metro are now closed. I was very sad to walk by Little Viet Garden and see the sign on the door saying that the location is now closed and to visit their other location Miss Saigon in Georgetown.

The British store has moved next to Boulevard Woodgrill.

Except for Delhi Club and Hard Times, the stores in that island between Wilson and Clarendon Blvd across from the Clarendon Metro are now closed. I was very sad to walk by Little Viet Garden and see the sign on the door saying that the location is now closed and to visit their other location Miss Saigon in Georgetown.

The British store has moved next to Boulevard Woodgrill.

Yes. You can tell your grandchildren that you witnessed the Reston Town Centerization of Clarendon. Me, I'd take the Queen Bee and the Peruvian Motors used car lot any day. ;)

Yes. You can tell your grandchildren that you witnessed the Reston Town Centerization of Clarendon. Me, I'd take the Queen Bee and the Peruvian Motors used car lot any day. ;)

Putting aside the merits of small, locally owned restaurants, used car lots are a horrible use of space in a urban village on a metro stop. The whole point of Metro is smart grown and smart density and you need big buildings for that; otherwise, all metro does is give the Lyon Village homeowners an easy commute...

Putting aside the merits of small, locally owned restaurants, used car lots are a horrible use of space in a urban village on a metro stop. The whole point of Metro is smart grown and smart density and you need big buildings for that; otherwise, all metro does is give the Lyon Village homeowners an easy commute...

A legitimate point. As I am not an urban planner, however, I tend to care more about vibe. That said, in the spirit of conciliation, I hereby welcome the new CVS and 24 hour Commerce Bank to the neighborhood. Who knows, I may come to appreciate the ability to get an emergency loan from an actual bank teller at 3:30am to finance some of my nocturnal misadventures. ;)