Grabbing a Drink in Silver Spring

Alright folks, it's time for you to work your magic so I can look great :unsure:

I need a place in downtown Silver Spring to sit and have a beer. The old Quarryhouse would have been perfect but the new incarnation has been vetoed. Jackie's was my other suggestion but it may be a little too high end for this group. Ray's, if it was open, would probably scare a couple of 'em.

Is there anywhere in between Quarryhouse and Jackie's? Decent food would be a plus but not a requirement. Vegetarian options would elevate me to brilliant.

Alright folks, it's time for you to work your magic so I can look great :unsure:

I need a place in downtown Silver Spring to sit and have a beer. The old Quarryhouse would have been perfect but the new incarnation has been vetoed. Jackie's was my other suggestion but it may be a little too high end for this group. Ray's, if it was open, would probably scare a couple of 'em.

Is there anywhere in between Quarryhouse and Jackie's? Decent food would be a plus but not a requirement. Vegetarian options would elevate me to brilliant.

Mandalay now has a (small) bar and a liquor licence. That probably isn't the vibe you're looking for, though.

Decent food would be a plus but not a requirement. Vegetarian options would elevate me to brilliant.
Not sure why your crew vetoed the New Quarry House, but pickings are pretty slim in Downtown SS (until Ray's and Old Dominion's Brewpub open).

Maybe the Redrock Canyon Grill across the alley from Cakelove-North or Austin Grill? You said food was secondary to the beer...

2 others --

The Irish pub whose name I can't recall in the new downtown. Their upstairs bar area is huge. Warning -- I've never eaten there.

Go sit under the tent at Mi Rancho (average Tex-Mex) and have a margarita. Just behind the Silver Diner.

JPW-where's the Irish pub? And McGinty's? Any place that's pretty hip wouldn't really work. We're pretty much the opposite of hip.
I believe the name of the Irish pub is indeed McGinty's (Thanks MC). It's on Ellsworth next to the unfortunately concepted Eggspectation right across from Border's. It's much more faux pub than hip pub. The time I walked in to look around there were 5 guys at the small downstairs bar with an average about that of dirt. Upstairs is the American suburban version of an Irish pub. Dark wood, a decent beer selection on tap, and a few TV's in a space the size of a small airplane hangar.

I agree that the Quarry house would be a good pick. If not, there is also the Austin Grill, which I don't think was mentioned. Good chips and salsa and they have a happy hour.

FYI, not open yet, but has anyone seen this?? Not sure what to think! http://www.piratztavern.com/ Warning, bad flash and music. though I kind of like the bird that calls out when you click him.

Cheers.

FYI, not open yet, but has anyone seen this?? Not sure what to think! http://www.piratztavern.com/ Warning, bad flash and music. though I kind of like the bird that calls out when you click him.
Dude, that's scary, and I don't just mean that godawful website that has instantly jumped into my Top 10 worst resaurant sites list,. Sort of a Bennigan's meets Pirates of the Caribbean. When I finally found the map, it looks like it's moving into the old Post Office building (although I may very well be wrong).

But no phone number and no address given.

The location is right on Georgia Ave and Bonifont. It is in a space that used to be a deli (according to DCist). And yes, a terrible web site. Dcist also said the owners are graphic designers. Ack.

Dude, that's scary, and I don't just mean that godawful website that has instantly jumped into my Top 10 worst resaurant sites list
I have yet to participate in the "worst restaurant web sites" discussions but... are there really 9 worse than that?

The Gallery is a brand new bar on the corner of Georgia and East-West Highway. It is very cute inside. It may be just what you're looking for..... http://www.gallerysilverspring.com/

LaShanta

I think Gallery might be a little too "hip" for this. I would say your best bet is McGinty's, or perhaps Austin Grill. I would guess you could also swing by Mi Rancho if that's your thing as well. Mayorga has a small bar. Used to be nice, but their CS has been getting worse and worse. Can anyone comment on Red Rock Canyon Grill?

I think Gallery might be a little too "hip" for this. I would say your best bet is McGinty's, or perhaps Austin Grill. I would guess you could also swing by Mi Rancho if that's your thing as well. Mayorga has a small bar. Used to be nice, but their CS has been getting worse and worse. Can anyone comment on Red Rock Canyon Grill?

I like Red Rock's bar area. It's really nice inside. It's more of a date place with low lighting and low music.

What's wrong with the Quarry? I had a burger there last Friday. Hot as hell due to a lack of air conditioning, but good music and you can't hate a place that sells $2 cans of PBR on menu with 20 + differant beers.

I like Red Rock's bar area. It's really nice inside. It's more of a date place with low lighting and low music.

What's wrong with the Quarry? I had a burger there last Friday. Hot as hell due to a lack of air conditioning, but good music and you can't hate a place that sells $2 cans of PBR on menu with 20 + differant beers.

Welcome DBQ.

I thought PBR had gone out of fashion again.

It's the hot as hell part that caused the veto. We're too cranky at the end of the day to be hot and sweaty.

These are great, keep 'em coming. Most won't work for these purposes but are good to know about. The wifi at Adega is a gold mind-although I don't know how well it would go over to show up for Bio lab drunk :unsure: Then again, it may go a little smoother with some vino in me.

Never been there to eat, but I have found their wine selection (bottles for sale) pretty weak.
What began as an earnest attempt to have a real wine store in SS with a small food operation on the side has turned into a sandwich shop with a small wine operation on the side. At one point they had a small, occasionally interesting selection, but the wine prices were always ridiculously high even by MoCo standards.

I don't blame the owners for the change: they needed to pay the rent. I'm just disappointed that they couldn't make a go of it as primarily a wine shop. I do like their sandwiches.

I would agree with Austin Grill as a safe, budget-friendly choice for people who are looking for somewhere not too hip. Relaxed environment, vegetarian options, and swirly margaritas.

How about Adega? Or is wine too serious for the mood you want to set? The good news is they have free Wi-Fi there. Hooray!

Don't ask the people who work there about the wifi. They swore that they didn't have it. Which is strange, since I am there right now, trying to enjoy a glass of bad Chardonay.

Don't ask the people who work there about the wifi. They swore that they didn't have it. Which is strange, since I am there right now, trying to enjoy a glass of bad Chardonay.

Is it their wifi or a nearby neighbor?

I assume it's a near by nieghbor, I didn't recognize the name that the wifi is connected to.
Free SS-WiFi is just one of the benefits of the new, downtown Silver Spring.
Downtown Silver Spring has a wi-fi network that covers the area bounded by Colesville Rd, Fenton Ave, Wayne Ave, and Ramsey Ave. This covers all the restaurants on Ellsworth Avenue behind the AFI Silver (like Ceviche and Lebanese Taverna).
There's a Panera in the broadcast area and a swanky new dinner spot.

The Gallery is a brand new bar on the corner of Georgia and East-West Highway. It is very cute inside. It may be just what you're looking for..... http://www.gallerysilverspring.com/
I think Gallery might be a little too "hip" for this.
Taking one for the team, I checked out Gallery last Friday night. Although it is a bit "hip" (and a tad uncomfortable in the white high chairs) at the bar, they do have an outside patio. While the bar was crowded, there was a single group of ~ 8 on the patio from 6:30 to 8-ish. The patio crowd picked up by the time we left at 9 pm.

Gallery's Happy Hour is quite flexible. Accordng to the bartender, it lasts as long as the crowd does sometimes to 8:30, sometimes to 10 p.m. The Happy Hour cocktails are $4. (For the life of me, I don't understand how/why these places can charge $4 for mixed drinks yet $8 for wine. I just want a little buzz. I save the sloppy drunk routine for Saturday nights.) Unfortunately, they don't have a HH food menu. Bummer.

Overall, IF I frequented Silver Spring, Gallery would be a nice place to hang out and have an after-work drink. Especially on the patio. With or without co-workers. But I don't frequent Silver Spring.