Rosés For Summer

Is there anything better for outside drinking in the summer? There's a few recommendations on the Great Wine Finds thread, but anyone have any other favorites. My usual two go-to's are:

-Domaine St. Antoine (Rhone) -- Can sometimes be found for as low as $7. Haven't seen it around this year, though

-Saintsbury Vin Gris of Pinot Noir (CA) $12

I hear the 2004 French ros�s are really nice. Domaine de la Mordoree Tavel was one recommendation I got (anyone know where to find it?)

(And is Firefly having another ros� fest this year?)

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our distributor reps a bunch of roses...the one that really caught my eye (and wallet) was the Sorin 2004 "Terra Amata" rose, which is primarily mourvedre. Don't know if any is left, though--the distributor is Roanoke Valley Wine Company.

-Domaine St. Antoine (Rhone) -- Can sometimes be found for as low as $7.  Haven't seen it around this year, though

personally not a big fan of this

I hear the 2004 French rosés are really nice. Domaine de la Mordoree Tavel was one recommendation I got (anyone know where to find it?)

Thought that I saw this at Magruder's in CC, I'll try to double check this weekend

1+1=3. A Spanish Rose from Cabernet Sauvignon. Good stuff and on sale this week at CW for $12.99

The wine maker Joseb Pinol was in town this weekend along with a number of other great Spanish wine makers. All were as wonderful as the wines that they make.

In addition to the 1+1=3 and the Mordoree I would also recommend the following:

2004 Pax Rose of Syrah - Sonoma

2004 Rose of Virginia - Austalia

2004 Coppola Sofia Rose - California

2004 Pavie Rose - Bordeaux

2004 Chapoutier Rose - Rhone

And just to include a recently released rose bubbly:

1998 Veuve Clicquot Vintage Rose

I'm getting my ass in gear, end of next week for the rose list I hope. Lots of Provence, and Long Island makes an appearance as well.

Now (I mean right now) drinking Ca' del Solo Big House Pink (blend of Carignan, Sangiovese, Charbono, Zin and Barbera). Pretty bloody good, brought in by Country Vintner, I'm guessing $12 retail.

Edited by Johnny Rooks

Had a rose from the Cotes De Ventoux last night. Domaine De Fondreche, L'Instant Rose 2004. 100% Syrah. Very nice, buckets of strawberries on the nose and very refreshing, while remaining full bodied at 13.5% alcohol. $8.99 from Morris Miller on the DC line. It's a Robert Kacher import so should also be available elsewhere.

Had a really nice one last night.

Chateau de Grande Cassagne, Costieres de Nimes. ($9 Magruders)

Powerful fruit (mainly strawberry) up front and a long semi-sweet finish. Great body for a rose.

Mrs JPW did not like the sweetish finish, but then again she tends to like her wines bone dry. I really enjoyed it, but it may be an acquired taste.

The slight sweetness made a good contrast with the grilled tuna that had been in a spicy marinade.

Had a really nice one last night.

Chateau de Grande Cassagne, Costieres de Nimes. ($9 Magruders)

Powerful fruit (mainly strawberry) up front and a long semi-sweet finish. Great body for a rose.

I dig that one too. Picked up a case of it at Schneider's last night.

Our distributor reps a bunch of roses...the one that really caught my eye (and wallet) was the Sorin 2004 "Terra Amata" rose, which is primarily mourvedre.  Don't know if any is left, though--the distributor is Roanoke Valley Wine Company.

I bought a bottle of the 2004 Domaine Sorin Cotes de Provence rose at Rick's in Alexandria. If this is the same wine you are talking about, it was everything I look for in a rose, fresh strawberry-raspberry fruit, wonderful balance. Great summer food wine--I liked it better than the Grande Cassagne, which has been my house rose since last year. I need to find the time to get back there and buy some more.

To be a bit more specific, I really enjoyed several bottles of Chateau Trinquevedel last summer, and will be seeking out more this year. Noses strawberry and watermelon, and has enough depth on the palate to keep you interested. Might be a little bigger than many roses. Yummy.

I had a bottle of Chateau Montaud, Cotes de Provence, F. Ravel, Provence 2004 with dinner last night. Decent strawberry and melon on the nose, but the fruit was not enough to balance the high acidity. I have not tried many Rosés so I am not sure how this compares to the others metioned here, but I found it at Whole Foods for $8.

I had a couple of glasses of Bonny Doon Big House Pink at Firefly yesterday evening.  Very nice, dry, little acidity, notes of strawberry.  It is priced at $10/bottle on the Bonny Doon website.  I plan on seeking out a few bottles for the fridge.

I tried the Big House Pink (from Sherry's in Woodley Park) and loved it - I thought it was a great value. They also told me to pick up some 1+1=3, and that was tasty as well - though it wasn't quite as fruity as the Bonny Doon (probably because it was Cab instead of the Barbera/Carignane/Sangiovese/Zin mix that the other one was). Interestingly, I liked both of these better than the Domaine Tempier I had when I was in California - that was a little dry and austere for my tastes.

I had a couple of glasses of Bonny Doon Big House Pink at Firefly yesterday evening.  Very nice, dry, little acidity, notes of strawberry.  It is priced at $10/bottle on the Bonny Doon website.  I plan on seeking out a few bottles for the fridge.

The more widely read, if not more delicately-palate-ed, wine columnist for the Washington Post seconds your praise for Bonny Doone in general, but was unimpressed by the Big House red, preferring the tasty and slightly more expensive Vin Gris du Cigare.

Details here.

One of the things I like best is the sheer diversity of bottlings available to us in this market

My current lineup of preferred wines (All U.S.A. unless indicated):

Palama Albarosso Salice Salentino Rosato 2004 (Italy)

Ca’ Del Solo “Big House Pink” Rosé 2003

Bonny Doon “Vin Gris de Cigare” 2003

Saintsbury “Vincent Vin Gris” Pinot Noir Rosé 2003

Domaine Guindon, Coteaux d’Ancenis Gamay Rosé 2004 (France)

Joel Delaunay Touraine Rosé 2004 (France)

Bryce “Pinky” Rosé of Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley 2003 (the '04 is arriving soon)

Ch. de Roquefort Provençe Rosé “Corail” 2003 (France)

Pascal Lambert Chinon Rosé 2004 (France)

Ch. Valcombe Côtes de Ventoux Rosé "Signature" 2004 (France)

Mas de Gourgonnier, Les Baux De Provençe Rosé 2004 (France)

Les Valentines “Le Caprice de Clementine” Côtes de Provençe Rosé 2004 (France)

Edmund St John "Pinc Froid" (75% Counoise, 25% Grenache)

Henry Pelle, Menetou-Salon Morogues Rosé 2004 (France)

Domaine du Goure de Chaulé, Gigondas Rosé 2003 & 2004 (France)

Ch. Pradeaux, Bandol Rosé 2004 (France)

Lucien Crochet Sancerre Rosé 2004 (France)

And let's not forget Rosé Champagne - if you like it and haven't tried the Aubry (Imported by Terry Theise) then you are missing a true delight.

Tasted these all this year?

Wow, Joe I'm impressed. One question -- When are you sober enough to keep notes?  :P

Oh yeah, welcome!

Ha! Don knows me as a wine merchant, and those are my current favorites, that are available to me at any rate.

Kinda tough with the dollar as weak as it is against the Euro, but I try to keep a nice selection.

Anybody know if there's a local shop where I can pick up that divine Iron Horse Rosado de Sangiovese we all seem to be enjoying at Dino? Never been a rosé fan but I think it might be time to lay in a supply.

Ahh. Great question. Total Beverage/Wine carries other Iron Horse wines, but I haven't checked to see if they have the rosado.

Favorites on ye olde Rose festival List pt. III being Rose of Zweigelt, Tegernseerhof from Austria and a Shiraz/Muscat de Frontagnan blend from Trevor Jones, Australia.

We had these on Friday night-- both excellent. The Zweigelt is nice and refreshing-- seemed like it was very lightly carbonated. And the Trevor Jones "Boots" was absolute dynamite. Very full-bodied for a rosé ('manly' says Derek in the description on the list :P ) with a huge raspberry nose and taste.

Thanks for all the suggestions in this thread-- I've been doing plenty of rosé drinking lately and will have to come up with a mid-summer report. Currently that Trevor Jones is at the top of the list, though.

Ahh.  Great question.  Total Beverage/Wine carries other Iron Horse wines, but I haven't checked to see if they have the rosado.

Total Wine has a very nice online inventory search engine (Macarthur's uses the same tool).

Alas, they do not appear to have the rosado.

Total Wine has a very nice online inventory search engine (Macarthur's uses the same tool).

Alas, they do not appear to have the rosado.

You can get the 2003 rosato at www.liquorama.net -- including shipping, it ends up being about $11.50 per bottle if you buy a case. Anyone up for a partial case?

Anybody know if there's a local shop where I can pick up that divine Iron Horse Rosado de Sangiovese we all seem to be enjoying at Dino? Never been a rosé fan but I think it might be time to lay in a supply.

I am glad that someone mentioned my favorite. It is funny that their rosato is far superior, in my mind, then their Sangiovese that it is drawn from. Ahh well. Lucky there is a good supply of the Rosato for us to quaff. I am thrilled that it is selling well during these hot days.

I was chatting with a wine rep from Henry Group a week ago at MacArthur's about rose. He told me that his personal favorite this summer is 2004 Akakies Kir-Yianni from Greece. I found a bottle at Rodman's the next day, now I see it on the sale list at MacA for less than I paid. Anyhoo, I finally opened and drank it today--very nice! Deep pink color, plenty of strawberry-raspberry fruit, but bone dry and with enough acidity to make it a refreshing summer quaff that can hold its own with flavorful food. We drank it with chiles rellenos stuffed with ricotta, manchego and fresh corn in a garlicky salsa de tomate.

Edited by zoramargolis

I was chatting with a wine rep from Henry Group a week ago at MacArthur's about rose. He told me that his personal favorite this summer is 2004 Akakies Kir-Yianni from Greece. I found a bottle at Rodman's the next day, now I see it on the sale list at MacA for less than I paid. Anyhoo, I finally opened and drank it today--very nice! Deep pink color, plenty of strawberry-raspberry fruit, but bone dry and with enough acidity to make it a refreshing summer quaff that can hold its own with flavorful food. We drank it with chiles rellenos stuffed with ricotta, manchego and fresh corn in a garlicky salsa de tomate.

I think this is sold by the glass at Cashion's. I'm almost positive I had a glass of it there last week. Just didn't read the label that carefully.

I was chatting with a wine rep from Henry Group a week ago at MacArthur's about rose. He told me that his personal favorite this summer is 2004 Akakies Kir-Yianni from Greece.

That's a nice rose. I first heard about it when Jarad Slipp (who else to recommend a Greek rose?) used it in one of Todd Kliman's 'Everyday Sommelier' pieces (can't remember what Jarad paired it with). Cleveland Park Wine carries it as well.

I think the best dirt cheap rosé is the Georges Duboeuf Syrah Rosé. It's advertised this week for $5.49 at Calvert Woodley, but it's been that for quite awhile now. Surprisingly good at that low price. I bet in a blind tasting it would beat out alot of twice as expensive rosés. Perfect for serving up to a crowd at a summer party.

I had a Domaine Saint-Antoine 2004 Costieres de Nimes Rosé, about $9 from Total Wine, with dinner last night. Strawberry, raspberry, and a bit floral on the nose. Good dry wine with the fruit balanced by the acidity.

FYI. From an email yesterday from Arrowine:

-------------------------------------------------------------

End of Summer Rosé Sale

These are rosés that we have featured in our newsletter and stacked on the floor. These have been customer favorites all spring and summer. Now is your chance to pick your favorites and stock up! You save big just by ordering 6 bottles of your favorite. If you pick two or more favorites and mix a case (in lots of 6, please) you will get the absolute best possible price. These sale prices are crazy for refreshing yet substantial rosés from some of France's best.

For this sale:

-Please order rosés in 6 bottle lots.

-Order 12 or more rosé bottles total (mix or match) for the best (case) price.

-Wines arrive Friday.

2004 Faillenc Ste. Marie, "Rosé des Glacières" VDP d'Oc (primary grape: syrah)

Reg. $14.99, 6 bottle price $11.99, best price $10.49 (save over 30%)

2004 Mesliand Touraine Amboise Gamay Rosé (gamay)

Reg. $11.99, 6 bottle price $8.99, best price $7.99 (save over 33%)

2004 Joel Delaunay Touraine Rosé (pineau d'aunis)

Reg. $10.99, 6 bottle price $7.99, best price $6.99 (save over 36%)

2004 Domaine de Montrieux, Gris Côteaux du Vendomois (pineau d'aunis)

Reg. $16.99, 6 bottle price $11.99, best price $9.99 (save over 41%)

2004 Manoir de la Tête Rouge, Tête de Lard Rosé (cabernet franc)

Reg. $9.99, 6 bottle price $7.99, best price $6.99 (save over 30%)

2004 Château Valcombe, Côtes de Ventoux Rosé (cinsault, grenache, carignan)

Reg. $16.99, 6 bottle price $12.99, best price $10.99 (save over 35%)

2004 Château de Roquefort Rosé Corail (cinsault, mourvedre)

Reg. $14.99, 6 bottle price $11.99, best price $9.99 (save over 33%)

Getting close to that time again. Seen some 2005's rolling into the stores-- what's good this year?

Chateau Guiot--very fresh and bright, and has a screwtop this year. Turkey Flat; Yalumba Sangiovese Rose--these Australians have been out for a while, now. 2005 Akakies Kir Yianni wasn't quite as brilliant as last year's.

On that note, I looooove (good) rosé champagnes...

Where can I belly up and get a good glass these days?

Not actually a Champagne, but from France, inexpensive and unexpectedly good: Vin du Bugey-Cerdon "la Cueille". Buy at Cheesetique.

Just re-read your post and realized you weren't looking for retail, but hey, it's still good.

Not actually a Champagne, but from France, inexpensive and unexpectedly good: Vin du Bugey-Cerdon "la Cueille". Buy at Cheesetique.

Just re-read your post and realized you weren't looking for retail, but hey, it's still good.

Mmmm, sounds like a perfect one-stop-shop for an evening of lazing around a screened porch :)