"La Grande Bouffe"

Joe H

1973's La Grande Bouffe which is the movie that those who follow this board may appreciate more than any other...

From Roger Ebert:

"Catherine Deneuve went to see it with her lover at the time, Marcello Mastroianni (who is one of its stars) and would not speak to him for a week afterward, or so it is said. When you are Deneuve and Mastroianni, however, perhaps there is little need to speak. In any event, the movie went on to become (according to the publicity) the largest-grossing release in the history of Paris, all the while inspiring fistfights and insults on the Champs Elysees."

Edited by Joe H

1973's La Grande Bouffe* which is the movie that those who follow this board may appreciate more than any other...
*The plot: four middle-aged gourmands, fed up with the mundanity of life, embark upon a suicide pact -- death by indulgence of food, sex, and alcohol.

Next stop: Netflix. :)

I was dating a girl who was in law school at A. U. We saw this at the Studio on Wisconsin Avenue near Tenley circle. True, it was crude. Perhaps even disgusting. But hilarious and quite incisive in its perspective for life's greater good. We actually sat through it a second time immediately after the first. After the movie we became best friends (a comment here would be appropriate for another time but this was a first date!) and, I suspect, that today she is involved with Al Gore's upcoming campaign for the presidency.

Still, I knew her when. And she laughed just as loud as I.