Party Platters

StephenB

We are giving an evening pre-dinner reception for about 40 people. We need to buy, rather than prepare, all the edibles. Our first decision is to serve no hard liquor, only wine and soft drinks. But what about the nibblies?

My sense is that Costco does a pretty good job with party platters. I went by the other day and thought the shrimp platter and the antipasto platter looked relatively appetizing. Am I naieve and uninformed?

We'd get some other stuff as well, and of course Costco is great for inexpensive wines, so that streamlines our shopping.

Does anybody think we're making a dreadful error by buying the foodstuffs there, and if so, what alternatives are preferable?

We don't mind spending a few bucks, but simplicity is paramount: buy it, put it on a table, then stand back and let the reception happen, that's our aim.

I love Costco. When Costco and Sams were new, caterers were buying a ton of stuff at them and "prepping" them to look like the goods were "homemade." Caterers must have raked it in back then because they charged homemade prices.

Also, I love platters from Chic-Filet (sp?)... well only the little nuggets... but they fly off the platter.

Costco is good, because you know exactly what your getting- and it's a value for the money. The problem is, guests frequently recognize platters from Costco (I can't remember how many events i've been to with the signature Costco tortilla/turkey sliced wrap up.)

I'm not sure where your located, but Balducci's (formerly Sutton Place Gourmet) does a wonderful job with platters. They have several locations around metro dc, and the chef's there are pretty flexible when it comes to catering/party platters. Wegman's is also worth checking out, as it is the "costco of supermarkets"- no membership card required though.

www.balduccis.com

www.wegmans.com

*** First time poster here, thanks for welcoming me to your forum~

Cheers, -j

Jason Gabriel Mandel

Assistant General Manager- Notti Bianche, Italian Trattoria

Edited by CajunJason

I think the costco stuff is pretty tasteless....I mean flavorless. :lol: If you're willing to at least put a few dollars down, you'd be better off hitting the prepared foods at Whole Foods. At least they use herbs and spices. And the idea to visit Jill at Cheesetique is a great one. Let her tackle a meat and cheese platter. I know she can make plenty of suggestions once you tell her how much you are looking to spend. And you'll be getting quality, not factory.

Man I think Costco is Great!! I think they do a great job at those wonderful platters. My wife and I stoped in last week and got a small platter for a small get together everything was top notch. You can's go wrong with costco. Check out the wine prices too man they are really cheap and great selection the had Jepson sauv blanc for $5.oo a bottle what a bargin!!

Edited by Hoofhearted

I think the costco stuff is pretty tasteless....I mean flavorless.  :lol:   If you're willing to at least put a few dollars down, you'd be better off hitting the prepared foods at Whole Foods.  At least they use herbs and spices.  And the idea to visit Jill at Cheesetique is a great one.  Let her tackle a meat and cheese platter.  I know she can make plenty of suggestions once you tell her how much you are looking to spend.  And you'll be getting quality, not factory.

I'm on both sides. From a quality perspective, Whole Paycheck and Cheesetique are miles ahead of Costco.

But, no exaggeration, it will cost 3-4x as much, perhaps more. Sometimes, when you want the good stuff, and it's the right audience, it's still worth it from a value perspective. When I throw a special occasion shindig, that's where I'd go.

Super Bowl parties - it's Costco all the way...

I have ordered from Costco, Whole Foods, and Balducci's. Costco will work for the average (non-foodie) crowd. Their veggie trays are fine, but I sub out some hummus for the dip, and their shrimp platters with cocktail sauce are a bargain. If you have the facilities they sell various frozen little nibbles that can be heated and arranged on a tray.

I've been less than impressed by the prepared food at Whole Foods. Over priced, and frequently underseasoned for my taste. Their fruit and veggie platters are very high quality.

Balducci's platters are high quality and of course, very expensive. We have used their catering for Christmas parties and my second baby shower and were very pleased with what we got. Of course, this was when they were still Sutton Place, so no idea whether it's still as good.

The big advantage to Whole Foods or Balducci's is working with them to get exactly what you want. At Costco what you see is what you get, although it sounds like the that will work for your event.

Edited by Heather

Balducci's platters are high quality and of course, very expensive.  We have used their catering for Christmas parties and my second baby shower and were very pleased with what we got.  Of course, this was when they were still Sutton Place, so no idea whether it's still as good.

The big advantage to Whole Foods or Balducci's is working with them to get exactly what you want.  At Costco what you see is what you get, although it sounds like the that will work for your event.

I thought that Sutton Place changed the name to Balducci's to take advantage of name recognition but was still basically Sutton Place. (Sort of like Nations Bank taking over Bank of America but using the Bank of America name because it was better known.)

On topic: I've had great luck with Costco platters....

If you live near Eden Center and your guests are into ethnic/exotic foods, you can get party platters made for about 10-25 dollars, depending on the item at the delis there.  Trays of summer rolls, spring rolls, grilled meats, etc.  Cheap and tasty, too.

Eden Center is in fact on my regular route. But how do I know which place you're recommending?

Oh goodness, I should tell you, huh?

OK, well, if you are familar with Eden Center, here is what I would do if I had to host a party:

Starting at the gate next to the National Wholesalers (whatever it's called) store in the former Ames store:

1) Get some fresh baked Banh Mi (baguettes) at Banh Mi So #1 - good with a cheese you could pick up at Cheesetique

2) Get a fresh fruit cake (spongecake with fruit filling topped w/ whipped cream) at Maria's Bakery

3) Get some fried tofu from the tofu store that's in between the brand new hair salon and electronics store.

4) Walk to the deli that is in between the Shisedo store and the hair salon. It'll have a neon TV screen ad outside. Go inside, order your platters for dirt cheap.

5) Go to Eden Supermarket, check out the BBQ meat offerings for the day. See what's the best and get a whole duck or some cha siu or roast pig for your platters.

But that's just me and I'm horribly addicted to Eden Center!

Does anybody have any suggestions as to which restaurants do party platters, those ubiquitous plates of meat, cheese, veggies or specialty items? A lot of the chain restaurants (Chili's, ChickenOut, Maggianos, etc.) have party platters and catering, as do delis (Booeymonger). Of course, grocery stores are also a good way to go for the basics (I recommend Whole Foods). I'm specifically looking for local or smaller chain restaurants that do party platters or catering for small groups. I've come up so far with Cafe Ole on Wisconsin Ave (mezze). Anywhere else?

Thanks!

Does anybody have any suggestions as to which restaurants do party platters, those ubiquitous plates of meat, cheese, veggies or specialty items? A lot of the chain restaurants (Chili's, ChickenOut, Maggianos, etc.) have party platters and catering, as do delis (Booeymonger). Of course, grocery stores are also a good way to go for the basics (I recommend Whole Foods). I'm specifically looking for local or smaller chain restaurants that do party platters or catering for small groups. I've come up so far with Cafe Ole on Wisconsin Ave (mezze). Anywhere else?

Thanks!

I've seen World Cafe on Barracks Row advertise that they do catering. The web site isn't too impressive, but the food I've had there has been fairly good.

If you want Korean food, I recently ordered 2 dishes (kimbap--korean version of rolls and jap chae--cellophane noodles with beef and vegetable) from Donga Grocery on Lee-Highway and thought it was pretty good. You can pick and choose from a variety of Korean dishes or have them pick for you. Unless you like cold pressed pig parts and jelly fish, I recommend that you go over the menu with them rather than giving them the green light to cook whatever. Couple of years ago when I hosted a party with a friend we got 8 dishes for 15 persons for $120 and ordered non-Korean dishes elsewhere for variety. If you are interested, let me know, I will dig up the phone number.

Mediterranean Bakery on S. Picket Street in Alexandria does catering. They have a nice variety of Middle Eastern food, ranging from falafel to fatayer to shishtawook skewers, as well as a long list of traditional desserts.

Click here and then click in the "Menu" box to see their catering menu.

Lebanese Taverna caters.

Not only is the food there really good, but they are incredibly helpful and cooperative. Long story short, I was organizing a baby shower for recently adopting parents who were passing thru this area on their way home to NJ from GA (where they had adopted). Since they were having problems getting the paperwork completed and were being held hostage by the state of GA, I had to reschedule the party three times. I can't say enough good things about how helpful LebaneseTaberna staff were. The delivered the food right on time with short notice, and it tasted just wonderful. On top of that, the cost was actually pretty low for what we got. Great value on top of everything else!

You could also look here for people's thoughts on the topic from several months back.

Aha! I knew it must have been discussed somewhere before, but I couldn't find it. So far all of these suggestions look great and Lebanese Taverna is looking pretty good.