Chili Puree With Garlic

KOK

I'm looking for a jar of China Bowl Select brand Chili Puree with Garlic. It's a five or six ounce glass jar with an orange label and a black lid. I think I bought it last year at the Whole Foods in Clarendon but I can't be sure, and I haven't seen it anywhere.

I've seen similar stuff in other stores, but those have big flakes of what looks like crushed red pepper in it and the China Bowl brand is smooth (the hot sauce with the rooster on the bootle makes a version of it, but it's not what I like).

I'd be grateful if anyone can tell me where they've seen it.

Thanks very much,

Kevin

I'm looking for a jar of China Bowl Select brand Chili Puree with Garlic. It's a five or six ounce glass jar with an orange label and a black lid. I think I bought it last year at the Whole Foods in Clarendon but I can't be sure, and I haven't seen it anywhere.

I've seen similar stuff in other stores, but those have big flakes of what looks like crushed red pepper in it and the China Bowl brand is smooth (the hot sauce with the rooster on the bootle makes a version of it, but it's not what I like).

I'd be grateful if anyone can tell me where they've seen it.

Thanks very much,

Kevin

I've seen the label you're talking about (for some reason Giant comes to mind, or maybe Safeway) but after intensely googling on the Internet can't find that brand (China Bowl). You can see that Amazon.com used to carry some of their stuff but don't right now.

Have you been to some of the larger Asian supermarkets, like Super H or Grand Mart? For example, the Grand Mart at Seven Corners carries many brands of Chinese condiments. If you still have the jar, and write down the ingredient list you can maybe find something similar.

I've seen the label you're talking about (for some reason Giant comes to mind, or maybe Safeway) but after intensely googling on the Internet can't find that brand (China Bowl). You can see that Amazon.com used to carry some of their stuff but don't right now.

Have you been to some of the larger Asian supermarkets, like Super H or Grand Mart? For example, the Grand Mart at Seven Corners carries many brands of Chinese condiments. If you still have the jar, and write down the ingredient list you can maybe find something similar.

Found it at a Fresh Fields -- location withheld until I know he got a jar, but they had maybe 6.

Ingredients list: water, red peppers, cayenne peppers, rice vinegar, garlic.

Much milder taste than sriracha or chili oil but tasty.

I have been trying, and sadly failing, to duplicate the sesame dip for steamed eggplant created by gone but not forgotten Peter Chang of China Star fame. Going to put some in the next batch.

I spoke with the manager at the Vienna Whole Foods and he has plenty in stock. I hope to get there end of this week or next, hopefully in conjunction with a trip to Eamonn's Chipper and Nielson's for frozen custard.

Thanks so much for the tip Ilaine!!

Kevin

I spoke with the manager at the Vienna Whole Foods and he has plenty in stock.
The "plenty of stock" turned out to be ten. I bought four bottles, though I may have made a mistake as it (along with all the China Bowl sauces) is a discontinued item.

There was no Cina Bowl chili puree (though lots of Plum and Hoisen sauces) at the Whole Fields on Rt 7 across from the Trader Joe's / Lido Pizza center.

Thanks,

Kevin

The "plenty of stock" turned out to be ten. I bought four bottles, though I may have made a mistake as it (along with all the China Bowl sauces) is a discontinued item.
Lee Kum Kee makes a chili garlic sauce that looks very similar to the China Bowl sauce, looking at the ingredients list, Salted Chili Pepper ( Chili, Salt ), Garlic, Water, Sugar, Rice Vinegar ( Contains Wheat ), Modified Corn Starch, Acetic Acid. Link

If and when you run out of the China Bowl sauce, this may be worth a try.