Simple Cherry Tomatoes And Pasta

Seanchai

I make a very simple pasta dish using pasta, lightly sauteed split cherry tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, fresh basil and grated hard cheese. While it's a crowd pleaser between the wife, 2 little boys and Bridie the dog, I'm thinking it needs ... something. What is that something that will, uh, kick it up a ... no, can't even type it. Ideas?

I make a very simple pasta dish using pasta, lightly sauteed split cherry tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, fresh basil and grated hard cheese. While it's a crowd pleaser between the wife, 2 little boys and Bridie the dog, I'm thinking it needs ... something. What is that something that will, uh, kick it up a ... no, can't even type it. Ideas?
Are you looking to keep it vegetarian? If not, leave out the cheese and add scallops. Or keep the cheese and add pancetta. If you are keeping it veg, try using some butter along with the olive oil.

A pinch of dried red pepper would be good too.

A little ground coarse salt and some hot pepper flakes will fix it right up.

Forgot to mention I add kosher salt and fresh ground pepper at the end as well as frequently sauteeing chopped T's chicken Italian sausage first for a little frond before starting with the oil and garlic. I like the pepperflakes and breadcrumbs suggestions. I will go downstairs and try right now!

Yours is a beautiful example of "Type I" cooking. Letting the ingredients speak for themselves.

Finish with pink salt.

Or truffle salt.

Dash of madeira? Eh...

I really liked Heather's pancetta idea.

Or, just F the whole thing and toss it all onto some pizza dough and fire up the oven. :)

Love all of the suggestions, will file away for next time. Meal got a standing O from the fam and an extra lick from the dog. Like Dan said, it's all about good fresh ingredients and maybe a little something differenrt added in. As always, you guys inspire me to take the next step, thanks.

I make a very similar dish about 3 times a week in late July / August. One difference is I will use any good tomato available, not just cherry. I also crush a couple cloves of garlic and let them steep some of their oil into the dish for about 15 minutes. Then, just before serving, I remove the crushed cloves so there's just a hint of garlic flavor left behind. I also use red pepper flakes...occasionally too much to the chagrin of my 11 year old who is a tomato freak.

:) -->

QUOTE(Mrs. B @ Aug 28 2006, 06:16 PM)

Gilding the lily I say. But if you must finally diced anchovy, just make it fine and don't tell'm.

I made this last week: cherry tomatoes, pasta, olive oil, anchovies, finely grated Parmesan, and a little bit of torn basil. I love the whole white anchovies in the refrigerator case at Whole Foods. Sometimes they have them and sometimes they don't. I've been on a roll using them when I can get them.

you will get a more concentrated tomato flavor and a better base for other ingredients if you use this technique from deborah madison. it's in a couple of her cookbooks, but i found it here:

http://www.jewish-food.org/recipes/vege0091.htm

breaking down the tomatoes in a small amount of water is the fun part, pushing the pulp through a strainer is the work (but you don't need a mill for this recipe). you also might want to double it. in the end, i just add butter and sea salt and it's perfect by itself with pasta and parmesan. i have never had to adjust for sweetness, but i don't really like adding sugar, even if she suggests it as a possibility.