Mussels

zoramargolis

Every bag of mussels is required to carry a tag identifying its source, harvest date and shipping date. The best way to ensure good mussels is to ask to see the tag so that you can determine how long it has been since the mussels were harvested and shipped. If it has been a few weeks, they may be still alive, but obviously they aren't feeding after harvest, and have been living off of their own stored nutrients, so they will be less plump and tasty, and more of them may no longer be alive. All of the commercially available mussels are rope cultured and shouldn't be gritty. The best ones IMO come from Prince Edward Island. Though I no longer work there, I recommend BlackSalt as a good place both to buy mussels in the fish market, and order them in the restaurant. They sell a ton of them, so are frequently getting fresh deliveries. I'd be surprised if any place sells fresher, higher quality mussels. The restaurant has several different preparations to choose from ( I always get the Addie's mussels) and they are reasonable--it's possible to sit at the bar, have a serving of mussels and a glass of wine and get change back from a $20 bill.

Every bag of mussels is required to carry a tag identifying its source, harvest date and shipping date. The best way to ensure good mussels is to ask to see the tag so that you can determine how long it has been since the mussels were harvested and shipped. If it has been a few weeks, they may be still alive, but obviously they aren't feeding after harvest, and have been living off of their own stored nutrients, so they will be less plump and tasty, and more of them may no longer be alive. All of the commercially available mussels are rope cultured and shouldn't be gritty. The best ones IMO come from Prince Edward Island. Though I no longer work there, I recommend BlackSalt as a good place both to buy mussels in the fish market, and order them in the restaurant. They sell a ton of them, so are frequently getting fresh deliveries. I'd be surprised if any place sells fresher, higher quality mussels. The restaurant has several different preparations to choose from ( I always get the Addie's mussels) and they are reasonable--it's possible to sit at the bar, have a serving of mussels and a glass of wine and get change back from a $20 bill.
Unfortunately, I am limited to the Safeway or Giant, but I ALWAYS ask to see the date on the bags of farmed mussels. If it's hinkty, I don't buy them. I am also limited in the fact that Dame Edna doesn't care much for them. So, when he wants to go to Firefly to appease his fried oyster jones, I can get a plate of the mussels. Sometimes, I can even talk him into going to BdC so that I can have mussels and he can have some mediocre French stuff.

Mussels are planned for Xmas Eve dinner. Black Salt still tops? worth shelling (ahem) out for the zip car rental for a field trip to Palisades? I rarely cross the park....

I'm going to assume you are having guests; so, the answer is YES!, it's worth the car rental to go there and get the good stuff. It's only once a year after all . . .

I'm going to assume you are having guests; so, the answer is YES!, it's worth the car rental to go there and get the good stuff. It's only once a year after all . . .

We just returned from Munich which is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe. Part of its appeal, however, is where it is at: within an hour of the Alps, less than an hour to Chemisee lake. Incredible location. Incredibly beautiful well educated, affluent, cosmopolitan international city.

I will say the same about D. C.: one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Part of its appeal, however, is where it is at: within an hour of the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains, within an hour of the Chesapeake Bay, two hours of the Atlantic ocean. Incredible location. Incredibly beautiful well educated, affluent, cosmopolitan international city.

I sincerely hope that those who live in D. C. do not lose sight of its location. Breathtaking beauty is in all directions, certainly worth renting a car for even if for just a few hours.

I wonder how many in Munich have never been to Garmisch or Salzburg? Or how many in D. C. have never been to Waterford or St. Michael's?

Now on my Do Not Buy list--mussels from the Mar company. We picked up a bag at Lotte, and they were, compared to the farmed mussels from PEI and Great American Mussels in Maine, full of heavy beards, had a higher proportion of discards (cracked shells, mostly, only two dead in 2 lb), and the mussels inside were teensy.

On the other hand, the clams I hand-selected from Lotte were very good and the lobsters were delicious, extra sweet meat.