Windows On The World Chef Relocates

MelGold

From the NY Times this past week:

Returning to the New York spotlight will be Michael Lomonaco, who was getting his eyeglasses repaired instead of preparing his kitchen for the day’s business on the morning of Sept. 11, 2001. So the executive chef of Windows on the World, atop the World Trade Center, was not there when it was destroyed. Since then he has been biding his time, working as a consultant, cooking at Guastavino’s, and appearing on television.

He’ll be running Porter House New York, the American grill and steakhouse that will open by the end of the month on the fourth floor of the Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle. And this will be his big break: for the first time in his career, the 51-year-old will be a partner, not simply a chef.

In the course of remembering those who did not survive the terror of 9/11, I have always thought of the hardworking employees of Windows on the World who were trapped on the top floor of the World Trade Center. A friend of mine was in the restaurant that morning for a breakfast meeting, while he made it downstairs before the building fell, he couldn't escape the falling debris. Bob McIlvaine's body was found on the concourse level Wednesday morning. Unfortunately the majority of the restaurant's staff wasn't so lucky. If you don't have a name or a face to remember today, think of them.

You know. That was the first thought I had when I heard about the WTC. I was actually preparing to fly to a job interview from BWI when we had to return to the terminal. I remember thinking how hard we work in this business only to have some prick smash a plane into your livelyhood. It still just PISSES ME OFF! :):) We should never forget.