Internet Food Shopping

Escoffier

While only presently in the NYC area, Fresh Direct is sure to end up here one day or another. Is DC ready for an online shopping experience that promises: It's food shopping at its best. Order on the web today and get next-day delivery of the best food at the best price, exactly the way you want it, with 100% satisfaction guaranteed.

Fresh Direct differs from PeaPod and other e-grocery shopping because "Our food comes directly from farms, dairies and fisheries (not middlemen), so it's several days fresher and a lot less expensive when it gets to your table."

How long before this or a similary concept shows up in DC?

Lord, will I be happy when FreshDirect (or a reasonable facisimile) shows up here. Although the stuff I've had from them in NY hasn't been perfect (by far), some of it has been quite good. I've been consistently disappointed with Peapod and don't even bother now (my life is also somewhat less hectic now than it was when I started using them, so no longer feel as great a need). Mmmm, FreshDirect...

I used Fresh Direct pretty consistently when I was living in NYC earlier this year. Sometimes their pre-made foods didn't live up to the hype, but I trust their veggies and meats far more than I do Peapods. Also, their bakery items were pretty darn good. I'm a loyal devotee of Peapod just for the true grocery items, but would love to see Fresh Direct show up here so that I don't have to brave the craziness at Whole Foods each week.

Is DC ready for an online shopping experience that promises: It's food shopping at its best. Order on the web today and get next-day delivery of the best food at the best price, exactly the way you want it, with 100% satisfaction guaranteed.How long before this or a similary concept shows up in DC?

While it's not next-day and it's not to-your-door, DC does have an online shopping option that helps you get your hands on good, fresh, often-organic produce. Like Heather says, it's hard to get over not being able to look at what you're getting -- picking the smallest okra, the fattest ears of corn, etc. But it's good stuff. Mostly produce, but they also have chicken, eggs, cheese, baked goods (from Firehook), honey, and some other stuff.

I pick up at Adams Morgan, so they have the farmer's market there during the year anyway, but the online market is year-round.