Asian Noodles

zoramargolis

More importantly, has anyone had the cold soba? I assume it comes with a dashi based dipping sauce?

I haven't had it there, but zaru-soba (cold buckwheat noodles) is one of my favorite summer meals, and is not easy to find. The chilled noodles are sprinkled with a chiffonade of scallions and nori. The cold broth that you dip the noodles in is dashi-based with rice vinegar, soy sauce and ginger. Very refreshing on a hot day.

I would like to buy pho noodles in the little nests that (apparently) most pho places use (they seem like they'd be easy to manage in and out of soaking, etc). I've tried a couple Asian markets, and have found what appear to be even thinner noodles in nests (Banh hoi) but no Banh Pho in nests. Am I tilting at windmills?

I would like to buy pho noodles in the little nests that (apparently) most pho places use (they seem like they'd be easy to manage in and out of soaking, etc). I've tried a couple Asian markets, and have found what appear to be even thinner noodles in nests (Banh hoi) but no Banh Pho in nests. Am I tilting at windmills?

I don't know that I've ever seen them in the nest form. Why do you say that most pho places use them? If you seen bags of them at restaurants you may want to ask to just buy some from them.

You could always take the bigger package and break the dry noodles into more manageable pieces.

I like packaged ramen noodles. The blue flavor is my favorite.

You should try Sapporo brand Ichiban in the red and white package. In the Asian foods aisle (not with the regular ramen) at all Shoppers and some Safeways or any of the dedicated Asian supermarkets. It's a whole 'nother level of ramen. Very complex flavor packet. Seriously.

You should try Sapporo brand Ichiban in the red and white package. In the Asian foods aisle (not with the regular ramen) at all Shoppers and some Safeways or any of the dedicated Asian supermarkets. It's a whole 'nother level of ramen. Very complex flavor packet. Seriously.
Please...Safeway? You're kidding, right? Hie thee to a real Asian market and gaze upon a whole aisle of ramen..ramen in all it's many permutations...Vietnamese, Korean, Thai, Chinese, Japanese (and probably every other country in Asia)...ramen in more flavors than just "blue" (whatever that is). Ramen in solid packs like bricks, ramen in bowls, ramen in 6 packs and boxes and spicy and mild and bland and flavors you've never in your life thought of...Safeway...pshaw!!

Whole Foods sells soba noodles in multiple varieties, in the ethnic food aisle. Also, when I took a class at L'Academie de Cuisine in Bethesda and the menu included soba noodles, the instructor mentioned having bought them at the local Safeway. YMMV, and obviously neither of these places will sell them in bulk. You'll need to buy ten one-pound boxes and pay the price for that.

They were my first stop but the directions on the packages were only in Japanese and I was given strict instructions to make sure there were in English.

I ended up trying the Harris Teeter on the Hill and struck gold. All that I needed with English directions. I wiped them out so I hope no one on the Hill has a soba craving anytime soon.

They were my first stop but the directions on the packages were only in Japanese and I was given strict instructions to make sure there were in English.

I ended up trying the Harris Teeter on the Hill and struck gold. All that I needed with English directions. I wiped them out so I hope no one on the Hill has a soba craving anytime soon.

Glad you found them! And good to know that Harris Teeter carries it.

Ramen in NY is pretty good. Get better versions in SF. DC, I've given up.

The ramen from packets are nothing like the stuff you get at a shop. They are simply two different beasts.

I grew up on sapparo but these days I like the maruchan and the other stuff they sell at safeway, giant ect. when it comes to what I call venilla ramen. You can crank it up a notch and go with some of the korean ramens which have multiple packets and can be extremely hot. Jin ramen is a solid bet but the veriety can be dizzing.

Back when I was young and didn't have to worry about sodium (gout- the silent killer) I could do the ULTRA Ramen, which was one packet of noodles with two entire flavoring sachets. Everything about it was intense.

Now, though, I'm very pleased that the Safeway down the street (next to The Italian Store) has mie goreng-flavored ramen packs. I've had it fresh in Indonesia and this stuff isn't too bad. Comes with a little packet of oil to give it sheen. Sometimes I can't find the instant mie goreng in asian markets and it turns up in Safeway?

Do any of you "doctor" your instant ramen?

When I'm eating Sapporo Ichiban brand ramen, I almost always remove the cooked ramen noodles from the pot, crack an egg into the ramen "soup," and mix/cook the egg under low heat and pour the mixture over the ramen noodles. I also eat it with kimchi or add kimchi juice to the ramen.

<snip> I almost always remove the cooked ramen noodles from the pot, crack an egg into the ramen "soup," and mix/cook the egg under low heat and pour the mixture over the ramen noodles.
That's funny -- that was how I was taught to cook ramen. :P Ichiban will also be close to my heart as it was the first brand of ramen I ever had, and it was the first brand that I learned how to cook ramen. Now I'm getting all sentimental...

Nowadays, I don't add any of the packets, use a dashi base, and add roast pork and tofu and the Japanese spice powder that comes with a red cap. Don't know what that's called in English.

I finally got a nerve to make my own ramen after I read this thread. I found a small pork roast chunk with bone (about 1.5 lb) and a boiled beef (2 lbs - it was from rice cake soup) from the fridge so put them together into the pot and boiled for long hours. The broth tastes so good. I added some chopped garlic and soy sauce and boiled again. The taste got better! I put ramen noodles into a bowl, poured the broth and garnished with fresh chopped scallion and chilly oil. The best ramen I had ever tasted.

I am going through a clean out the cupboard's stage. So I have some soba noodles I want to use, do they need to be served chilled or are they good hot? Any suggestions on sauce? I have some mini bok choi, and all sorts of proteins (shrimp, steak, chicken, pork in multiple forms) that I could use with it. Also have red peppers, green onion I found in our garden plot, scallions and snap peas, all could be used for the cause.

I am going through a clean out the cupboard's stage. So I have some soba noodles I want to use, do they need to be served chilled or are they good hot? Any suggestions on sauce? I have some mini bok choi, and all sorts of proteins (shrimp, steak, chicken, pork in multiple forms) that I could use with it. Also have red peppers, green onion I found in our garden plot, scallions and snap peas, all could be used for the cause.

We often eat the first round warm-cool, right after preparing it, and then cold straight from the fridge as leftovers. The sauce we use is whatever whisked combination of soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, and sugar/honey that suits your taste, finished with toasted sesame seeds and chopped scallions. Toss that all with your rinsed soba, and then toss additionally with a quick saute of veg/meat - your bok choi, or peas and peppers would be perfect. Enjoy!

We often eat the first round warm-cool, right after preparing it, and then cold straight from the fridge as leftovers. The sauce we use is whatever whisked combination of soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, and sugar/honey that suits your taste, finished with toasted sesame seeds and chopped scallions. Toss that all with your rinsed soba, and then toss additionally with a quick saute of veg/meat - your bok choi, or peas and peppers would be perfect. Enjoy!

Perfect guys! Thank you. I am going to try this out tonight.