Bans on Trans-Fatty Acids

blakegwinn

Aside from the issue of it being a ban....this doesn't mean no fried foods. Just a need to use a different type of oil/fat to prepare foods, which is not a bad thing at all. Hydrogenated fats have been proven to do nasty things to our bodies :) Wendy's has already made the change--can't recall where I read about it, but someone with better linking skills may find the article to paste.

http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/Apps/Cou...s.asp?PrID=3381

Trachtenberg’s bill would require that elimination of trans fats in Montgomery County restaurants be in force by Jan. 1, 2008.

Her proposal mirrors similar legislation adopted by the New York City Board of Health in December 2006.

While I personally would welcome the public health impact of a dramatic reduction in the use of artificial trans-fats, it sounds like Trachtenberg is simply parroting NYC's overblown legislation, warts and all. :o

Grandstanding scheduled for Monday. Time to figure out who I need to write to today.

Spoke briefly with Trachtenberg's assistant William Klein, who responded that the proposed resolution does draw a distinction between naturally-occurring and artificial trans-fats. It'll be up on their website on Tuesday; council vote is scheduled for later in the week so there will be a brief period for public comment.

Amusing! Ol_Ironstomach did not bring this to my attention, as I have been ranting about the NYC law. Actually I was looking forward to more food freedom post- move to Montgomery County... When will it stop????? I want my transfats, my foie gras, my red meat, my raw milk cheese!!!!! Is nothing sacred in the search for immortality.

Argh.