The Fractured Prune, An Ocean City Donut Franchise

I've been eagerly awaiting the opening of the new Dupont Circle Fractured Prune. The store was expected to open in August 2006, and I was wondering what was happening. I found on the MetroPrune website that they're now expecting to open in late October. And there's a Free Donut Night a-coming! Rockville Town Square is also getting one, as is Arlington. I've never been to one before, but I'm intrigued by the toppings.

Yeah, as a confessed donut fiend I've eagerly awaited the coming of the Prune. Now, until recently I didn't know what they were about but all that mattered was that they had donuts, fresh and fried to order...how can that be bad. Having read up on them recently I see that they have an amazing amount of toppings and some different kinds of base donuts...I can't wait, I see that they are now hiring..Yea!!!

I've been eagerly awaiting the opening of the new Dupont Circle Fractured Prune. The store was expected to open in August 2006, and I was wondering what was happening. I found on the MetroPrune website that they're now expecting to open in late October. And there's a Free Donut Night a-coming! Rockville Town Square is also getting one, as is Arlington. I've never been to one before, but I'm intrigued by the toppings.

Fractured Prune!! It's not a place for donut purists (whatever that means), but damn if they aren't good. I've really only ever been able to enjoy 2 at a sitting before succumbing to sugar overload, and they lose much of their charm after they've cooled down. Hopefully they'll have a seating area like the Rehoboth store so you can enjoy them piping hot.

Mmmmmm, peanut butter glazed donuts ....

Man, these are some seriously good donuts. We stopped by the original Rehoboth location a couple of weekends ago. Fried to order, I had one caramel topped donut and one with berry glaze and nuts. Going to be bad news when this place is open in Dupont, as it's on my walk to work.

The Fractured Prune has recently opened up shop in the restored Market House in downtown Annapolis. I haven't been there, but I have been told by one very well-educated and wordly teenager that she was totally being, like, serious that the maple glaze and bacon bits donut is, like, one of the best things she's ever eaten. :) [she also told me that they're giving out a free donut to each new customer.]

I stopped by the shop yesterday evening after the big homecoming parade went past - Baconcakes: bacon bits on warm maple glazed donut...pretty freaking good.

Man, these are some seriously good donuts. We stopped by the original Rehoboth location a couple of weekends ago. Fried to order, I had one caramel topped donut and one with berry glaze and nuts. Going to be bad news when this place is open in Dupont, as it's on my walk to work.

We hit the Rehoboth location this past week. Three generations (ages 2 to 79) enjoyed the donuts. I found that one (mocha glaze with chocolate bits) was sufficient, but I could have had my arm twisted to "force" another one down.

So, my father lives in Ocean Pines (just outside of Ocean City) and had his annual "Festival of the Callinectes Sapidus" this weekend (crab feast for those of you who aren't as weird as my Dad). I decided, after reading all about Fractured Prune on this board, that I needed to try the West Ocean City branch in order to properly prepare for the arrival of the Dupont Circle location.

Well, I walked out of there with 24 donuts. And I tried a bite of each one (for research purposes, of course). I've just now managed to hold still long enough to write about them (bit of a sugar overload goin' on here).

My absolute favorite was the "French Toast" donut -- maple glaze with cinnamon sugar. It was simple and not too overwhelming, and tasted just like real French Toast. I actually got yelled at for making off with the whole thing.

Other good ones included "O.C. Sand" (honey glaze and cinnamon sugar), which is their bestseller at this location; "Lemonade" (lemon glaze and powdered sugar); and one I made myself, peanut butter glaze and powdered sugar.

Donuts that were a bit too much for me were "Rolo" (caramel glaze and chocolate chips), "Black Forest" (raspberry glaze, chocolate chips and coconut) and "Morning Buzz" (mocha glaze and oreo cookies).

I think the running theme to my favs and second favs (I can't say I truly disliked any of them) was simplicity. Those that were just a glaze and a type of sugar were great -- you could taste the individual flavors and the actual donut. When the ingredients included chocolate or other toppings, those toppings tended to overwhelm the glaze flavor AND made the donuts kind of soggy. Plus, they really load on those toppings, so sometimes you're just tasting a mouthful of chocolate chips and nothing else. For the citrusy glazes, they were a little sweeter than I would have liked (would be nice to have something cut the sweetness just a bit) but they still were wonderful. The "Creamsicle" (orange glaze and powdered sugar) truly did taste like the creamsicles I ate as a kid.

While I'm all donut-ed out for now, I'm anxiously awaiting the Dupont Circle opening so I can try all the ones I missed.... :)

A coworker brought in a dozen Krispy Kremes to the office on Monday, which got me thinking about The Fractured Prune. Last time I walked by, it looked like it could be awhile before they opened. I checked the website, which turned out to not be the local website, and it had coflicting info on their expected opening. So, I sent an email to find out if they are any closer to opening, and heard back from Helen immediately. I've also invited Helen to join our merry crew to keep us updated herself. :)

"Please visit our local web site at www.metroprune.com for local news, exact opening dates and the free donut evening. We are scheduled to open in a couple of weeks from today. The exact date should be posted the next week or so."

From what I've heard, the donut shop is hoping for an opening just after Thanksgiving.
Their website has not been updated, but they are planning to open this coming weekend. Knowing DC they may be still waiting on some permits and approvals, but they are ready to go.

Sunday morning at the Fractured Prune--decent crowd, surprising number of people not eating donuts.

Friendly staff, still working on finding a groove but that is to be expected this soon after opening.

Tasty donuts but I am a Krispy Kreme girl at heart. But a fun place to bring friends and family, especially with small kids.

I don't know if I missed out on the true experience because I took my donuts home with me and ate them cold, but I bought a half-dozen this past Saturday and was thoroughly unimpressed. The donuts were nothing special themselves, and the toppings/glazes were too sweet/candy-like for my taste. More of a novelty for kids than a great donut shop in my opinion. Also, the bagels they sold tehre were terrible - dry and lacking "chewiness" (very much unlike the beautiful Ess-a-Bagels I bought on my visit to NYC last week).

I don't know if I missed out on the true experience because I took my donuts home with me and ate them cold, but I bought a half-dozen this past Saturday and was thoroughly unimpressed. The donuts were nothing special themselves, and the toppings/glazes were too sweet/candy-like for my taste.
I too was unimpressed. I ate my donut there, piping hot, and found it sickeningly sweet. And I have quite a sweet tooth. Maybe a different topping combination would be less sweet (I went with their "signature" O.C. Sand - honey and cinnamon sugar - so I probably should've known it would be sweet), but I can't say I'll be hurrying back.

I don't know if I missed out on the true experience because I took my donuts home with me and ate them cold, but I bought a half-dozen this past Saturday and was thoroughly unimpressed. The donuts were nothing special themselves, and the toppings/glazes were too sweet/candy-like for my taste. More of a novelty for kids than a great donut shop in my opinion. Also, the bagels they sold tehre were terrible - dry and lacking "chewiness" (very much unlike the beautiful Ess-a-Bagels I bought on my visit to NYC last week).
Welcome. I'm sorry your first post wasn't a positive one, but I am grateful for the calories I WON'T be ingesting. Thanks, and I hope we all will be hearing from you again.

I finally made it down to the Prune for some donuts. I have to say I like em. To me, I didn't think that they were to sweet, just right is what I came away with. I, mean, to sweet? They're donuts! :D I find Krispy Kremes much sweeter than these. I thought they were novel and worth eating again when I get that craving. I particualy liked the lemonade, blueberry, strawberry cheesecake. I'm not a big cake donut fan usually, but when hot, these were light and fluffy and delish. Even after cooling, they were still softer than any other cake donuts I've ever eaten and didn't leave me gulping water. I like em, some don't so there's my two cents :P

Made the trek here finally, because mmm... donuts. When we went in they asked if it was our first visit. Then there was a yell back to the folks in the kitchen that we were first timers. That was momentarily horrifying, because what if they started singing? Turned out they were just giving us a free donut, sand variety, which is glazed with cinnamon sugar. Extra hot and awesome like when you get a fresh out of fryer Krispy Kreme. Because it was a cake donut it had some nice crispy bits on the edges. Yum!

Accordingly we decided to order a half dozen, but we had to walk the 8 blocks back to the office before trying them. By then they were not so great. A lot of the ones with the chocolate chips the chocolate had melted and there was too much of it. It obscured the taste of the flavored glazes. The strawberry glaze reminded me of eating a jelly donut, while the peppermint reminded me more of peppermint ice cream than an actual mint. My recommendation is just to get glazes or ask for fewer chocolate chips on your donuts. Also make for sure that they are fresh and hot.

I should have tried the Krispy Kreme rejuvenation secret, which is to pop it in the microwave for 10 seconds, but I doubt it will work as well with cake donuts.

Is it just me, or are their hours not particularly convenient unless you want breakfast?

Website says:

Sun. - Thurs. 7:00AM to 3:00PM

Fri. - Sat. 7:00AM to 7:00PM

I know they sell bagels and sandwiches and things, but their brand of donut seems to be much more like a dessert thing. In other words, the kind you might like to enjoy after 3 o'clock in the afternoon.

And why even bother staying open till 7 on Fridays and Saturdays? Because when you're approaching the dinner hour, the first thing on your mind is a sugary donut? I'd think they could make a killing in the summertime by offering a dessert spot, especially since one of their menu options involves a scoop of ice cream with the donut.

Is it just me, or are their hours not particularly convenient unless you want breakfast?

Website says:

Sun. - Thurs. 7:00AM to 3:00PM

Fri. - Sat. 7:00AM to 7:00PM

I know they sell bagels and sandwiches and things, but their brand of donut seems to be much more like a dessert thing. In other words, the kind you might like to enjoy after 3 o'clock in the afternoon.

And why even bother staying open till 7 on Fridays and Saturdays? Because when you're approaching the dinner hour, the first thing on your mind is a sugary donut? I'd think they could make a killing in the summertime by offering a dessert spot, especially since one of their menu options involves a scoop of ice cream with the donut.

I have often thought the same thing and you don't even mention the late night donut after being out on the weekends.

Picked up a dozen assorted donuts this morning. They were still hot when I got to work and judging by the rapturous reception they received people seemed to like em! Some pretty crazy flavours/toppings available....but I guess thats the point...

Picked up a dozen assorted donuts this morning. They were still hot when I got to work and judging by the rapturous reception they received people seemed to like em! Some pretty crazy flavours/toppings available....but I guess thats the point...
Yes at weird as it seems to eat a bright green donut - the Peppermint Patty flavor is my fav.

Oh dear. Since you brought the topic up you need to expand upon this. Really.
Don, is this your version of a cliffhanger? Do we have to wait for your next Lettres from the Moulin? WETA? Or are you going to post about it on Central? Honesty is always the best policy. N'est-ce pas? :o

The Fractured Prune location in Fairfax (Pan Am Shopping Center) opened a couple of weeks ago. Paula, Marissa and I stopped in on Saturday and tried out a few different donuts (well, Marissa didn't, but like most 5 week-olds, her diet is pretty limited).

Pebble Beach: honey glaze, cinnamon sugar, mini chocolate chips

Rolo®: caramel glaze, mini chocolate chips

Morning Buzz: mocha glaze, Oreo® cookie crumbs

The donuts were on the smaller size, but the toppings helped up the calories and fat content. All of the donuts were enjoyed; I particularly enjoyed the Pebble Beach. Obviously, these are not your standard donuts and are probably more enjoyed as dessert instead of breakfast (although the Rolo was not a bad breakfast the next day). While we were waiting for our order we spoke with either the owner or the manager who was extremely friendly and excited about the store. He brought us an "O.C. Sand" (honey glaze, cinnamon sugar) donut to try, which was also good.

I was disappointed that we didn't get to meet The Prune.

Any way that the now-closed Dupont branch will be replaced by a real donut shop?

Now closed??? How long ago did this happen? Truly a sad thing, but wasn't hard to see coming -- they modified their summer hours to close at 2 pm. As said a few posts above, these things are better for dessert than breakfast. I can't picture that many people eating that kind of confection so early in the day. If they were open in the evenings, I could have singlehandedly kept the place in business.

I went into the one in Frederick and the theme is cute and all, and would make a great destination spot on the Boardwalk or on a holiday, I just don't see it being my sinful doughnut of choice. And I think it's odd not to have cashed in on the coffee crazy with something really nice.. I mean, who doesn't want great coffee with their doughnut?

Also, the location is in a strip mall which is a bit seedy looking. The Atomic Hot Dog place next to the Prune has been closed and had paper over it's windows for a year.

Meh.

I really wanted to love it.

I was at the Rockville location last night. They really are great donuts when you eat them right there in the store, piping hot. The glazes are nicely subtle, and it is great fun making up your own combinations.

Leftovers the next morning, however, are awful. I can't explain why, but after two bites I tossed the same flavor I had inhaled the night before. Maybe I should have given it a few seconds in the zapper to warm it up, but that congealed glaze was beyond terrible.

Towards the end of this Ask Tim entry, he says "The location on P Street NW closed down earlier this year, not only because of ongoing construction in the Dupont Circle neighborhood but also because the franchisee needed to devote time to an ill family member." Also, the article doesn't sound optimistic about another DC location anytime soon.

Towards the end of this Ask Tim entry, he says "The location on P Street NW closed down earlier this year, not only because of ongoing construction in the Dupont Circle neighborhood but also because the franchisee needed to devote time to an ill family member." Also, the article doesn't sound optimistic about another DC location anytime soon.

I don't know the specifics of the situation, but I do have to imagine that the P street reconstruction really hit their business (and many others) pretty hard. It was very difficult to find parking, and at times even to walk down past Fractured Prune. Given the amount of space that they had, it seems like making rent in that location would have been very difficult, and if they were shorthanded due to family concerns, that is all the tougher.

I enjoyed this place here in DC, but was not so moved by it that I would extraordinarily venture up to Rockville to visit that location. If I'm up in the neighborhood, though, I'd gladly stop in.