Michelin San Francisco Red Guide

Joe H

If the reaction of the New York restaurants is any gauge there is likely to be a lot of whining and caterwauling by those who were awarded with one star. I am certain that there are many message boards across the bay area complaining that Waters, Danko, and Perello were given less praise than the Dinning Room at the Ritz (an unbelievably good restaurant with a horrible name).

If the reaction of the New York restaurants is any gauge there is likely to be a lot of whining and caterwauling by those who were awarded with one star. I am certain that there are many message boards across the bay area complaining that Waters, Danko, and Perello were given less praise than the Dinning Room at the Ritz (an unbelievably good restaurant with a horrible name).

Also, in view of the number of 3 stars for SF proper (none), interesting comeupance for all those holier-than-thou SF Chowheads who are convinced their city has the best food anywhere. Of course, just adds fuel for the even more holier-than-thou NY crowd, but they're beyond hope anyway.

michelin should just stick to tires.

notice how there arent as many renowned french chefs in the bay area as there are in nyc.

and the michelin people like their french chefs.

What restaurant ratings in SF do you specifically disagree with?

i am not virulently opposed to any; i was just commenting on those who felt this would finally put an end to SF'ers who think they are as good a food town as nyc. san fran, and the bay area as a whole, is a great food town, and they don't need michelin to justify that.

nyc has more grand french rerstaurants and that appeals to michelin.

The accuracy of the Michelin SF guide is now being called into question. And a former pastry chef from Chez Panisse, David Lebovitz, who now lives in Paris (and conducts chocolate walking tours of Paris, perhaps one of the world's perfect jobs) shares some amusing thoughts on his blog.

I've eaten at several two- and three-star restaurants here in Paris, and while they're always interesting, frankly, I'm much happier eating in a neighborhood bistro or wine bar. The food is generally good, and I don't have to analyze how the chef managed to dry an oyster into a crispy sheet, pulverize it into a powder, then re-liquidifed it with some chemical and form it into a gel to slide up my nose.

(Or since this is France, maybe slide it elsewhere.)