Chicken Stock

blakegwinn

I am kind of embarassed to say I have never made stock. I think I am going to try it this weekend. Any recipes or tips on how to store or a good place to get bones?

You should be able to get necks and backs at most stores. Ijust save the carcasses from any chicken I roast. Instead of buying chicken parts, buy whole birds and dismember them yourself.

Cooling down hot stock quickly is best accomplished by straining it into a pot that has some extra room and dumping in baggies filled with ice. When ice melts, remove baggie and repeat until it's cool enough to put in fridge or freezer withou warming everything else up. I then freeze some into cubes using dedicated trays and the rest goes into baggies in one cup measurements that are then frozen flat to minimize storage room.

I am kind of embarassed to say I have never made stock. I think I am going to try it this weekend. Any recipes or tips on how to store or a good place to get bones?

Read about it in Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Stock making isn't hard, but there's lots to know.

Once a batch is strained and defatted, I reduce it by half, and put half of that in jars, then into the freezer. Leave headspace for expansion! The other half I cook all the way down to a glaze, which I freeze in ice cube trays then store in plastic bags. Nothing makes a sauce special like a dose concentrated meat stock.

You should be able to get necks and backs at most stores. Ijust save the carcasses from any chicken I roast. Instead of buying chicken parts, buy whole birds and dismember them yourself.
Or even better, of course, buy a stewing fowl, which they seem to have reliably at Bestway (at least the one in Mt. Pleasant). I see no reason to dismember a fowl to make stock from it, although obviously if you leave it whole you need a deep pot. I have a nice big, deep stock pot, and I put the whole hen in, with usually nothing besides water, salt, and an onion or two. Sometimes a few peppercorns, sometimes celery, but I almost never have any celery because I hate buying a large bunch of it and then throwing most of it away. Sometimes I'll buy some chopped celery from a salad bar to avoid that.

Or even better, of course, buy a stewing fowl, which they seem to have reliably at Bestway (at least the one in Mt. Pleasant).
If you do buy a stewing fowl (Gallena?) at the Bestway, just make sure that you use it that day. I don't mind shopping there, but the refrigeration is a bit dubious at times. The dairy case can be particularly bad.

Yep. I peel the bulb, slice it up and throw it in. Depending on what else I am adding and how much room there is in the pot I also add the stems and leaves. I usually don't add parsnip though, which is one of my stock standards, if I am using celariac. My best stocks have often occured when I used celariac.

I see no reason to dismember a fowl to make stock from it, although obviously if you leave it whole you need a deep pot.
What I meant was that, for example this week, for dinner Sunday I ripped off the breast meat and marinated and grilled it; last night I used the legs in making fried chicken. That leaves the rest of the carcass for making stock.

What kind of ratio do I need to look for as far as carcass/water. Will one chicken carcass for 4-5quarts do? Also i love the storage ideas. Looks like Sunday is going to be a perfect day to stay inside, watch football, and make stock.

Use enough water to completely cover your chicken and veggies. The stock will reduce as you cook it. My standard chicken stock ingredients:

Whole chicken and/or chicken backs + any necks, wingtips hanging around in the freezer

A package of chicken feet, if I can get out to one of the Korean markets (add flavor and body--look creepy rolling around in the pot)

White wine or dry vermouth-- at least a cup,up to a whole bottle, depending on how much stock I'm making.

An onion or two, cut in half but unpeeled (the skins add depth of color to the stock) stuck with a few cloves

A couple of carrots, peeled and cut in large pieces

Two or three stalks of celery, with leaves

A leek (mostly white part)

Parsnip, peeled and cut in large pieces

Bay leaves, stalks of parsley and fresh thyme

A few whole allspice berries

A dozen peppercorns

Use enough water to completely cover your chicken and veggies. The stock will reduce as you cook it. My standard chicken stock ingredients:

Whole chicken and/or chicken backs + any necks, wingtips hanging around in the freezer

A package of chicken feet, if I can get out to one of the Korean markets (add flavor and body--look creepy rolling around in the pot)

White wine or dry vermouth-- at least a cup,up to a whole bottle, depending on how much stock I'm making.

An onion or two, cut in half but unpeeled (the skins add depth of color to the stock) stuck with a few cloves

A couple of carrots, peeled and cut in large pieces

Two or three stalks of celery, with leaves

A leek (mostly white part)

Parsnip, peeled and cut in large pieces

Bay leaves, stalks of parsley and fresh thyme

A few whole allspice berries

A dozen peppercorns

Strong second on the use of parsnips. They add a sweetness and depth to the stock far beyond what the carrots alone will lend. But Zora, where is the head of peeled garlic cloves?

Strong second on the use of parsnips. They add a sweetness and depth to the stock far beyond what the carrots alone will lend. But Zora, where is the head of peeled garlic cloves?

I don't like to put garlic in chicken stock. If I want garlic in the dish where I am using the stock, I will add it later. But there are a number of applications for the stock where I don't want the flavor of garlic.

Tonight I made soup which called for chicken stock. I did not have any frozen and didn't have the time to make it so I bought some which is packaged in a box. In fact I bought three different kinds packaged in a box: Kitchen Basics, Pacific and Wolfgang Puck. All three are available at Whole Foods, the first two are sold at Wegman's. All three retail for between $3.00 and 3.50 for a quart container.

My wife and I opened all three boxes and poured a half cup of each into a glass. Remarkably they all LOOKED different. Coloration varied from clear to deep amber. They all SMELLED different. And, yes, they all TASTED different.

Wolfgang's was awful. A bouillion cube in water would be an adequate description. Kitchen Basics was surprisingly rather good. And Pacific, well, we were really surprised: it tasted damned close to what real homemade chicken stock tastes like.

Having said all this my soup didn't turn out...but this had nothing to do with the stock!

Tonight I made soup which called for chicken stock. I did not have any frozen and didn't have the time to make it so I bought some which is packaged in a box. In fact I bought three different kinds packaged in a box: Kitchen Basics, Pacific and Wolfgang Puck. All three are available at Whole Foods, the first two are sold at Wegman's. All three retail for between $3.00 and 3.50 for a quart container.

My wife and I opened all three boxes and poured a half cup of each into a glass. Remarkably they all LOOKED different. Coloration varied from clear to deep amber. They all SMELLED different. And, yes, they all TASTED different.

Wolfgang's was awful. A bouillion cube in water would be an adequate description. Kitchen Basics was surprisingly rather good. And Pacific, well, we were really surprised: it tasted damned close to what real homemade chicken stock tastes like.

Having said all this my soup didn't turn out...but this had nothing to do with the stock!

I bought a quart of boxed "Trader Joe's Free Range Chicken Stock" earlier this week and when I opened it, I was FLOODED with the smell of "chicken." What a nice surprise, and it cost under $2.

I bought a quart of boxed "Trader Joe's Free Range Chicken Stock" earlier this week and when I opened it, I was FLOODED with the smell of "chicken." What a nice surprise, and it cost under $2.

The problem with most boxed 'stock' is that it is actually broth. While they may smell and/or taste decent they have almost none of the good gelatinous quality. Since chicken stock is not that hard to make and easy to store I usually use home made, but I keep a couple of boxes in the cabinet for emergencies.

The problem with most boxed 'stock' is that it is actually broth. While they may smell and/or taste decent they have almost none of the good gelatinous quality. Since chicken stock is not that hard to make and easy to store I usually use home made, but I keep a couple of boxes in the cabinet for emergencies.
I agree that there is no substitute for home made stock. But when you run out, the boxed stuff is the only substitute. I'd be interested in what the best stuff out there is.

I agree that there is no substitute for home made stock. But when you run out, the boxed stuff is the only substitute. I'd be interested in what the best stuff out there is.
Well, sure. But, we use stock most every night. All our rice is cooked in chicken stock, for example, and many, many sauces have CS thrown into them. I couldn't possibly make enough homemade stock to satisfy all our needs for it. I save the homemade stuff for when it really matters, like my French Onion Soup. :)

1st batch of chicken stock for the fall cooking season yesterday.

I'm looking to try my hand at this: never made my own stock. I'm thinking about just roasting a chicken, carving it, then using the carcass to make stock. Any particular recipe recommendations? A few spots on the net recommend the normal trio of carrot/celery/onion, plus a bay leaf or two. Any need to do anything more?

I'm looking to try my hand at this: never made my own stock. I'm thinking about just roasting a chicken, carving it, then using the carcass to make stock. Any particular recipe recommendations? A few spots on the net recommend the normal trio of carrot/celery/onion, plus a bay leaf or two. Any need to do anything more?
I like to add thyme and peppercorns.

Somewhere around here, Zora posted her recipe which includes leeks.

I tend to stick with necks and backs. You can get 5lbs for less than $5 at the Eastern Market. This time of year I also throw in a peeled celeriac. It adds a dimension of flavor that you can't get from celery. My best stocks have always had celeriac. If you can find carrots with the greens attached add the greens too. Also dill and/or parsley are a must for me.

I tend to stick with necks and backs. You can get 5lbs for less than $5 at the Eastern Market. This time of year I also throw in a peeled celeriac. It adds a dimension of flavor that you can't get from celery. My best stocks have always had celeriac. If you can find carrots with the greens attached add the greens too. Also dill and/or parsley are a must for me.

Necks and backs work great and WF usually has them pretty cheap. If you can find feet use them as they will make you one heck of a gelatinous stock.

As for additions, I think it really depends on how you are going to use the stock. If you want a general all-purpose resource stick with the standard and add other flavors as needed with specific dishes.

I tend to stick with necks and backs. You can get 5lbs for less than $5 at the Eastern Market.
If you can find feet use them as they will make you one heck of a gelatinous stock.

As for additions, I think it really depends on how you are going to use the stock. If you want a general all-purpose resource stick with the standard and add other flavors as needed with specific dishes.

If you are getting necks and backs from Eastern Market, the poultry stands sell chicken feet, too. I heartily endorse the above recommendations, although if I don't have backs, necks and feet, I just use whole birds. Throw your roasted chicken bones in there, too, but they aren't enough by themselves. If I want a really rich stock, like for matzo ball soup, I do it "double": For the liquid, I add white wine and commercial broth, like College Inn or Swanson, or, along with water, I add some "Better Than Bouillon" chicken base. With all of the fresh herbs and aromatic vegetables, there is no hint of these enhancements in the final product, the soup just has incredible depth of flavor. For a more "golden" color, use brown onions and leave the peel on.

I like to use whole stewing fowl for stock. Sometimes after an hour and a half or so, when the breast meat has begun to be tender enough to eat, I remove all or part of it for another purpose, like chicken salad or enchiladas, and continue simmering the rest of the fowl for another three hours or more, till all the flavor is gone from the meat and in the broth. I've never tried feet, but I think I will soon. Places like Grand Mart usually have them. I suppose you could also throw duck feet in if you have them. Or, if you don't object to such things, pig's trotters.

Necks and backs work great and WF usually has them pretty cheap.

This is what I ended up going with...~6lb of frozen neck/back meat from WF ($.99/lb, not bad), plus the carcass from the chicken I roasted earlier in the week. I probably should've defrosted the chicken before I started, and I used hot water to start (which I later read was wrong, supposed to use cold water), but hopefully won't completely ruin it. Went with a basic celery+carrot+onion supplement, a little salt and pepper, and some thyme.

I boiled for ~3 hours, then planning on straining and chilling in the fridge overnight, then batch freezing in ice cube trays tomorrow when I get home from work. Couple questions:

1) Is it ok to leave it that long, or does it need to chill quicker?

2) Can you do anything useful with the chicken and bones afterwards, or is everything good sucked out into the stock?

3) I had bought some fresh bay leaves at WF because I saw some recipes that called for a couple of them. However, upon talking to my mom, she said not to use them, that fresh bay leaves are a completely different beast from dried bay leaves. I wasn't aware of this, not having used bay leaves ever really...what's the deal?

This is what I ended up going with...~6lb of frozen neck/back meat from WF ($.99/lb, not bad), plus the carcass from the chicken I roasted earlier in the week. I probably should've defrosted the chicken before I started, and I used hot water to start (which I later read was wrong, supposed to use cold water), but hopefully won't completely ruin it. Went with a basic celery+carrot+onion supplement, a little salt and pepper, and some thyme.

I boiled for ~3 hours, then planning on straining and chilling in the fridge overnight, then batch freezing in ice cube trays tomorrow when I get home from work. Couple questions:

1) Is it ok to leave it that long, or does it need to chill quicker?

2) Can you do anything useful with the chicken and bones afterwards, or is everything good sucked out into the stock?

3) I had bought some fresh bay leaves at WF because I saw some recipes that called for a couple of them. However, upon talking to my mom, she said not to use them, that fresh bay leaves are a completely different beast from dried bay leaves. I wasn't aware of this, not having used bay leaves ever really...what's the deal?

You mentioned that you boiled your stock for about 3 hours. The timing is good, but how vigorous was the boil? It is best to keep it at a simmer (couple of bubbles a minute) to keep the impurities from clouding up the stock. If your stove top is not that easy to control you can always put the pot in the oven set at between 200-225F and let it simmer away. Make sure to test as it cooks so that you know when it is done.

Answers to teh above questions.

1) A quicker chill is better as the bad little microbes thrive between 40-140F and the middle of your stock will take a long time to chill. The goal is to minimize the time it sits at those temps. The hot stock will also raise the temp of the entire fridge. It is better to chill on ice or freeze water in a sturdy ziploc and put that in the stock. I don't remember the guidelines, but it can sit on the counter with ice for a couple of hours or so pretty easily. As it gets colder outside you can use nature's fridge and set the pot outside.

2) They are worthless.

3) According to my spice book fresh bay leaves are slightly more bitter than dried, but this fades after a couple of days. Since the ones you bought were most likely not picked yesterday you should be good to go.

You mentioned that you boiled your stock for about 3 hours. The timing is good, but how vigorous was the boil? It is best to keep it at a simmer (couple of bubbles a minute) to keep the impurities from clouding up the stock. If your stove top is not that easy to control you can always put the pot in the oven set at between 200-225F and let it simmer away. Make sure to test as it cooks so that you know when it is done.

Answers to teh above questions.

1) A quicker chill is better as the bad little microbes thrive between 40-140F and the middle of your stock will take a long time to chill. The goal is to minimize the time it sits at those temps. The hot stock will also raise the temp of the entire fridge. It is better to chill on ice or freeze water in a sturdy ziploc and put that in the stock. I don't remember the guidelines, but it can sit on the counter with ice for a couple of hours or so pretty easily. As it gets colder outside you can use nature's fridge and set the pot outside.

2) They are worthless.

3) According to my spice book fresh bay leaves are slightly more bitter than dried, but this fades after a couple of days. Since the ones you bought were most likely not picked yesterday you should be good to go.

0) yea, I meant to say simmer...I kept it right around 205-209F the whole times...occasional bubbles, but no rolling boil.

1) well, as it's past 11 and I can't be bothered to go out and get ice, I think i'll just risk the microbes in the fridge.

2) yea, I tried to see if I could get any useful meat out of them, but there was nothing worth saving, so I ended up throwing it all out.

3) ah well, maybe i'll try em next time, although I'll probably need to get new leaves...I can't imagine fresh bay leaves keep more than a week or two in the fridge (although I'd certainly be interested to hear any opinions to the contrary).

My yield ended up being about 2 gallons, and since I only filtered it through some cheesecloth, it's definitely not as clear-looking as it could be, but I don't mind. I'm hoping the fat sets up nicely on the surface so I can easily skim it off tomorrow.

3) ah well, maybe i'll try em next time, although I'll probably need to get new leaves...I can't imagine fresh bay leaves keep more than a week or two in the fridge (although I'd certainly be interested to hear any opinions to the contrary).

Fresh bay leaves are true "European" bay. I find they keep for a month to six weeks in a plastic bag in the fridge. Or, if you have lots, you can dry them at room temp on a rack. Dried bay leaves are usually bay laurel, a common tree in Southern California. Bay laurel has a different flavor than European bay--one that is more traditional in Mexican food. I tend to use dry bay leaves in Mexican food, and European bay in stock, braises, etc.

I only filtered it through some cheesecloth, it's definitely not as clear-looking as it could be, but I don't mind. I'm hoping the fat sets up nicely on the surface so I can easily skim it off tomorrow.

When I want really clear stock, I filter through a wet muslin towel. Cheesecloth, even several layers, can let through a lot of fine sediment. The professional way to clarify stock is to pour egg whites into simmering stock and create a "raft" of egg white that attracts the sediment, and can be lifted out with the cooked egg white. A muslin towel is easier.

I buy Pacific brand boxed chicken stock at Costco for around 1.50 a box. Interestingly, America's Test Kitchen put Pacific along with Trader Joe's, in thier "Not Recommended" category.

I buy No. 3 in their list, i.e. the 33% less sodium, but not organic Swanson. For a while there was little competition and College Inn, formerly the darling of In-A-Pinch discrimineaters, was eventually demoted for relying on MSG (or something like that).

I don't recommend using it when you're out of stock and want to make risotto--or any soup that's brothy. However, for something like a puréed vegetable soup, the sauce of a stir-fry, reducing pan juices...

I don't recommend using it when you're out of stock and want to make risotto
I completely disagree. Especially when making a risotto with something with a lot of its own character, like porcini, for example, I don't want a pronounced chicken flavor in the finished product. The gelatinous quality of a rich stock is also out of place in a risotto. If I'm using homemade stock for risotto, I dilute it heavily with plain water, to a strength similar to commercial canned or boxed broth, which is thus a passable substitute, although obviously inferior to the home-made article. There are certainly rice dishes in which a rich, chickeny flavor is desirable, but to me risotto isn't one of them (unless, perhaps, one is attempting a "chicken risotto", a dish I can't quite get behind).

So my 1x yield is 16 quarts. I would like to reduce this to 2 quarts (so a 1/2 cup of reduction is a quart of 1x stock). Obviously, I will reduce verrry slowly (probably over the next 24 hours). Is there anything I should worry about flavor-wise?

Yes. As it reduces, some will stick to the sides of the pan as the liquid level decreases. A lot of flavor is there. So take a brush dipped in water and wash the sides down periodically. Yes, it does add back to the liquid volume, but only a tiny amount, and the payoff in flavor is huge.

So my 1x yield is 16 quarts. I would like to reduce this to 2 quarts (so a 1/2 cup of reduction is a quart of 1x stock). Obviously, I will reduce verrry slowly (probably over the next 24 hours). Is there anything I should worry about flavor-wise?

You probably know this already, but make sure to begin the reduction process after you have extracted all the flavor out of your ingredients and removed the solids from the pot. Otherwise calcium and other undesireable flavor components can leech out into the broth. This is especially the case with chicken bones, which can make a stock bitter or burnt-tasting.

A poll.

I made stock for the first time.

What should I use it for?

Um, soup is always good. I've been high on cream of cauliflower the past few months.

Potatoes chopped and boiled in stock are always tasty. Butter and parsley.

Stock/wine reduction with a little garlic/green onion/minced carrot/herbs (or whatever) is always heavenly on pasta.

Braise some chicken thighs in stock/wine/herbs. Reduce braising juices and add a little cream. Yum.

Come to think of it, what should one not use a tasty stock for?

A poll.

I made stock for the first time.

What should I use it for?

Assuming it is white stock -- I'd make some ass-kicking soup, since it's now getting cold outside. Something like butternut squash, or maybe just plain old chicken noodle. It's one of the most versatile ingredients there is, but ya gotta use it or loose it [or stick it in the freezer].

Um, soup is always good. I've been high on cream of cauliflower the past few months.

Potatoes chopped and boiled in stock are always tasty. Butter and parsley.

Stock/wine reduction with a little garlic/green onion/minced carrot/herbs (or whatever) is always heavenly on pasta.

Braise some chicken thighs in stock/wine/herbs. Reduce braising juices and add a little cream. Yum.

Come to think of it, what should one not use a tasty stock for?

Tell me more about the pasta... recipes?

Well, not exactly pasta, how about Risotto. I'm not sure if you are looking to highlight the stock itself, or just ways to use it of which there are almost infinite possibilities. Anyway for risotto you saute some shallots and minced garlic in butter, add the short grain rice let it get almost translucent, then add about 3/4 cup of heated white wine, stir until absorbed, then add the heated stock one ladle at a time, stirring almost constantly until the liquid is absorbed before the next ladle is added. About 3/4 cup rice to a quart or so of stock should give you a nice creamy risotto after about 20-25 minutes. Finish it with some grated parmasan or pecorino.

I can't believe i am on the top of this thread saying that. I have made so many countless batches since then. My freezer hasn't once been without at least 4-5 gladware containers (the 2 cup ones with a screw-on top are great for freezing) filled with frozen stock since I wrote that.

Oh and dan, I have a pot of stew on right now simmering away. Browned chuck cubes, crushed tomatoes, cabernet, lots of rosemary, onions, carrots, and I have some red potatoes I am going to add in about a half an hour and some fresh green beans to toss in right before serving. (I like them snappy)

Matzoh ball soup. Cook the matzoh balls separately in salted water, along with carrots cut into chunky chunks. Serve the matzoh balls and carrot chunks in the stock, with plenty of fresh dill. Matzoh balls are very little trouble to make; I actually use the Manischewitz mix and add some extra baking powder, which produces very light, non-leaden dumplings. I'm not Jewish, but this is pure comfort to me.

Two things:

1) This is an interesting article that provides recipes for two different types of chicken stock, including the purist version from Judy Rodgers of Zuni Cafe which is the basis of my own: "Stock Tips," by Janet Fletcher (San Francisco Gate Chronicles, October 31, 2007). You will also find recommendations for other stocks, including fish.

2) While I became more flexible long ago, often replacing JR's recommended whole chicken w chicken legs and poultry wings, and most recently, adding a package or two of chicken feet upon discovering them at Eco-Friendly, yesterday I made stock with a little over 5 lbs. of chicken backs, .77 lb. of feet and nearly 6 quarts of water.

Can't recall the last time a stock simmering for 4 hours didn't gel. TONS of fat (sorry, schmaltz lovers, it's in the trash) and impurities which I just couldn't skim off the surface as much as I'd like at the beginning. So, the ratio of water to bird has to be a lot lower, I guess, when there is little meat on the bones.

Glad I had another package of feet in the freezer (how strange this all would have sounded even a decade ago to my prissier self). Threw in a couple more legs, too. I hope a couple more hours reducing with the extra bird will transform a wimpy broth into stock.

Two things:

1) This is an interesting article that provides recipes for two different types of chicken stock, including the purist version from Judy Rodgers of Zuni Cafe which is the basis of my own: "Stock Tips," by Janet Fletcher (San Francisco Gate Chronicles, October 31, 2007). You will also find recommendations for other stocks, including fish.

2) While I became more flexible long ago, often replacing JR's recommended whole chicken w chicken legs and poultry wings, and most recently, adding a package or two of chicken feet upon discovering them at Eco-Friendly, yesterday I made stock with a little over 5 lbs. of chicken backs, .77 lb. of feet and nearly 6 quarts of water.

Can't recall the last time a stock simmering for 4 hours didn't gel. TONS of fat (sorry, schmaltz lovers, it's in the trash) and impurities which I just couldn't skim off the surface as much as I'd like at the beginning. So, the ratio of water to bird has to be a lot lower, I guess, when there is little meat on the bones.

Glad I had another package of feet in the freezer (how strange this all would have sounded even a decade ago to my prissier self). Threw in a couple more legs, too. I hope a couple more hours reducing with the extra bird will transform a wimpy broth into stock.

I am amazed that your stock did not gel. I typically use just necks, backs, and feet and have no problem getting it to gel. I certainly use more backs than necks so no necks should not cause that much of a problem. Did you remove any of the extra fat on the backs? I usually take off the rather large portions.