Washington Post Dining Guide

gnatharobed

Hmm, no realignnment of the stars. Not a bad segregation topic-wise, but aforementioned hand-wringing will ensue in the form of "Why isn't X in Y category?". Meh. You can't please everybody. Maybe the chats will become a lot more boring. Every "Tom, I'm in the mood for X" request will be answered with a link to the dining guide :lol:

Aside: I am going to Kotobuki TONIGHT before this gets in the hands of the non-chat-reading public.

Interesting collection this time around... and I'm sure Tom's Monday chat will be innundated with "why isn't (fill in the blank) included?" posts, as if the restaurants listed in this year's guide are the only ones he would ever recommend.

Okay, I wouldn't have picked Vegetable Garden to be the sole Chinese representative in the guide, but then again I fear soy-based "meat".

You are never going to get all the restaurants you want to see in the dining guide, because you are not he. And he, only has so much room. But wait a month for the book.

From a restaurant perspective this is huge. I remember speaking with Tom the day he introduced the star system. I said, "I really wish there were half stars." And he agreed, through the editors weren't feel'n it. I'm glad to see he was able to sway them. There can be quite a distance between ** and ***, and from *** to ****. Not all restaurants with like stars deserve to be on the same playing field. This rectifies that. Eve deserves the nudge up, while others needed a slight downgrade. Probably most readers won't think much of this. But behind closed doors you can rest assured that there are plenty of restaurantuers saying; "Thank the sweet baby Jesus, I was tired of the company we had to keep." Kinda like some nights at BDC.

"The end of the star system" might simply mean differentiation such as

a. A half star which many papers and guides use, i.e. **1/2, ***1/2 with ****

representing the top.

b. Numerical scores such as Gayot and Gault Millau use within their system of

1 to 4 toques.

It was inevitable.

This list of restaurants, taken as a whole, is light-years beyond what any major publication has done in the past.

Cafe Saint-Ex and Circle Bistro as pre-theater dining?

Etete, Kotobuki and Gom Ba Woo as three of five cheap-eats?

2 Amys and Urban Barbeque as family places?

Palena listed next to Citronelle and Maestro as a gastronomic temple?

Inn at Little Washington NOT listed as a gastronomic temple, but simply under romantic dinners?

Lewnes' Steakhouse and Ray's The Steaks as two of three restaurants in the meat list?

Jerry's Seafood and Sushi-Ko as two of the three seafood restaurants?

Andres' stars falling from 8 to 2.5?

No Equinox, Obelisk, DC Coast, Galileo or various other tired amputations?

Remember: this is the mainstream Washington Post. This was a very strong statement and a fine, thoughtful, interesting piece of work by Tom Sietsema.

Cheers!

Rocks.

p.s. Hey Tom since when is Middleburg "a country drive?" Been out Route 50 lately? :lol:

I hope the general public doesn't read this list as a "top 50 list" of restaurants in the area. Sietsema chose to highlight three or four restaurants in fairly specifc categories. While I too thought at first, "Why no Firefly, Komi or Corduroy?" I'm not so sure any of those restaurants comfortably fall into the top of any of the categories he decided to include. I don't think it's an intended slight on those restaurants - they are just places that didn't seem to fit into his theme. Personally I'm glad he's mentioned places I haven't even heard of ... Jerry's Seafood? Gom Ba Woo? Aster? It just gives me more places to try (although I would've probably put Tosca in under the pasta category).

Edited by ustreetguy

All hold the power to put you in a better mood.

What's that mean? Is this a "Dining Guide" or is this Post Mood Swings? I just read that, that pretty funny!!! Seriously, what that heck is that? Dining Guide? Tom reminiscing? So now when I go out to eat, I don't care if the restaurant is any good, I just want it to fit my mood...hmmm, ummm, ya know, maybe this food critic thing is a bunch of BS and we should just ask the chefs when we eat out "what are you trying to do here"...I mean LITERALLY walk into the kitchen of every DC restaurant we eat at, and talk to the chef, engage him/her and find out if they're serious about their food...

Question: what if the chef is in the wrong "mood", then how do we judge his/her food?

Tom, what a bunch of crap...

What's that mean?  Is this a "Dining Guide" or is this Post Mood Swings?  I just read that, that pretty funny!!!  Seriously, what that heck is that?  Dining Guide? Tom reminiscing?  So now when I go out to eat, I don't care if the restaurant is any good, I just want it to fit my mood...hmmm, ummm, ya know, maybe this food critic thing is a bunch of BS and we should just ask the chefs when we eat out "what are you trying to do here"...I mean LITERALLY walk into the kitchen of every DC restaurant we eat at, and talk to the chef, engage him/her and find out if they're serious about their food...

Question: what if the chef is in the wrong "mood", then how do we judge his/her food? 

Charlie,

It was a suprise to me that Tom would put Circle Bistro in this guide. The category system was also suprising, but if you want a list of restaurants use Zagats or Washingtonian.

I often have extremely different opinions about the restaurants that get reviewed

and as such I definitely do not believe him to be the final word on food or the first

for that matter. I am lucky enough to have a group of colleagues to discuss who is doing what around town. What I have a serious problem with is people like yourself.

Why do you take this dining guide so seriously? Where is your outrage coming from? How did he scorn you? Sure the format may be disgreeable to some, and I am certain that a lot of restaurants are upset at being left off, but the people with confidence in their product and their passion are just fine. It is just a magazine, a magazine.

As for a chef and determining their mood, go f yourself if you cannot see a publication for what it is maybe you should check your "taste" at the door.

Oh and by the way the rest of the chef's in his dining guide are really happy with you for pointing out that the restaurants in the guide aren't "reallly good". But then again who cares what you think.

Brendan Cox

"Always in a fine mood, except when belligerent"

I'm wondering what will happen with the star system. Sounds like things were going to change a bit, maybe with half stars...or a whole new system? I'm still voting for the scale of 100, as sanitation grade-ish as it may sound... :lol:

No comments to make really on the restaurants that were or were not named. He's got X number of pages and words to work with. No surprise he has to limit it. Glad to see our friends who were listed.

The stars in realignment, though? Really. The whole thing is mighty stupid. So it used to be a scale of 1 to 4. Now it's a scale of 1 to 8. Please. Toques, forks, thumbs up the butt, whatever.

"But these amps go to 11." Big fucking deal.

Edited by CrescentFresh

Charlie, don't walk into my kitchen, 'cause I'll be pissed off.

Yeah we made it the last two years. We didn't this year, I'll still sleep well. But lots of deserving places did. I think Citronelle is the only one to make it all three years. I for one can't bitch about that. Who can bitch about Eve being so close to 4? And yes I have beef with some, but it'll take a of booze to get that out of me. 40 or so places, mostly (in my opinion) worthy. What else can you ask for?

It's so easy to slag off someone than to do it yourself. Or to sell used cars.

What's that mean?  Is this a "Dining Guide" or is this Post Mood Swings?  I just read that, that pretty funny!!!  Seriously, what that heck is that?  Dining Guide? Tom reminiscing?  So now when I go out to eat, I don't care if the restaurant is any good, I just want it to fit my mood...

It's cold(ish) and rainy. I walked into a couple of nightmares at work.

I'm in the mood for some soup or comfort food.

I, for one, like that Tom tried a new taxonomical twist. I think that it shows that he tries to draw on his chats to understand how people really want to use a guide. The categories are reflective of the questions he gets. Is it for foodies? No. Nor should it be. There are 500+ people on this site and millions of diners in the DC metro area. Which audience would you write for if it was for a paycheck?

The same goes for the star system. I think that he really did need to distinguish amongst the 2 and 3 stars which make up the vast majority of his ratings. Stars may not be for us, but we're not his audience.

Of course there are restaurants that we all wish would have made it into the guide. Free publicity is priceless (yes I know how idiotic that sounds).

My only quibble would be that I wish he would have made a more explicit statement along the lines of -- "These are some, not all, of my favorites. This is not an exhaustive list of the best restaurants in the city".

Stars may not be for us, but we're not his audience.
Precisely.

Tom's guide is pretty easy to follow, thematically, and I think it's very clear even to the most daft readers that it is not a listing of the city's best restaurants. If this guide can wrangle just a few of the hundreds of lemmings from the wait list at Cheesesteak Factory to (insert name of listed restaurant here) the entire restaurant community is well served.

I, for one, am not devastated that Komi is not on the list. It's already hopping, people. Do you really want to be so inundated that you cannot get a table without providing dubious favors to the entire staff of OpenTable? Not that Komi is on OpenTable. Of course, Rocks would urge me to put aside my selfish needs and wants. But I am happy about Kotobuki gettin' some ink because every time I ate there, it was seriously empty. And these guys deserve to be busy.

Delighted for Eve. Bummed for Corduroy. Power crew deserves serious success.

Totally agree with grouping places by "what are you in the mood for." So often, too often, when one reveals one's foodie inclinations, civilians ask: "So, what is YOUR favorite restaurant?" As if there can be one answer!! "Well, what are YOU in the mood for?"

Edited by Nadya

Totally agree with grouping places by "what are you in the mood for." So often, too often, when one reveals one's foodie inclinations, civilians ask: "So, what is YOUR favorite restaurant?" As if there can be one answer!! "Well, what are YOU in the mood for?"

ITA. Mood is everything.

Take the guide for what it is to the masses. I agree that we are a small-ish group compared to the tens of thousands of Post readers. The way I look at it from a restaurants view is that it WOULD be nice to make the list, but in the end we know where we stand in the grand scheme of it all day in and day out. Another way to eyeball the list, a friend of mine is a bartender at Argia's in Falls Church,for which they had the cover of The Washingtonian magazine for top 100 restaurants with a picture of one of their dishes.

He said that for weeks on end people came in demanding a table with said issue of Washingtonian in their hands. He also noted that many were 'one-timers' never to be seen again.

Tom did a good job compiling the list, and I hope to try some of the places.

The breakdown, without regard for such things as writerly themes:

Upgraded

Johnny’s Half Shell: 3 stars from 2 stars

Rays the Steaks: 2.5 stars from 2 stars

Restaurant Eve: 3.5 stars from 3 stars

Samantha's: 2.5 stars from 2 stars

Unchanged

Maestro: 4 stars

Michel Richard Citronelle: 4 stars

Inn at Little Washington: 4 stars

Charlie Palmer Steak: 3 stars

Buck’s Fishing and Camping: 3 stars

2 Amy’s: 3 stars

Sushi-Ko: 3 stars

Palena: 3 stars

Thai Square: 3 stars

Inn at Easton: 3 stars

Colorado Kitchen: 2 stars

Urban Bar-B-Que Company: 2 stars

Downgraded

Bob Kinkead’s Colvin Run Tavern: 2.5 stars from 3 stars

New Additions

1789: 3 stars

2941: 3 stars

Bangkok 54: 3 stars

Circle Bistro: 2.5 stars

Capital Grille: 2.5 stars

Lewnes’ Steakhouse: 2.5 stars

Al Tiramisu: 2.5 stars

Amici Miei 2.5 stars

Osteria del Galileo: 2.5 stars

Poste: 2.5 stars

Kotobuki: 2.5 stars

Oval Room: 2.5 stars

Occidental: 2.5 stars

Sunflower Vegetarian Restaurant: 2.5 stars

Ceiba: 2.5 stars

Tabard Inn: 2.5 stars

Delhi Club: 2.5 stars

Aster: 2.5 stars

Oyamel Cocina Mexicana: 2.5 stars

Black Market Bistro: 2.5 stars

Cafe Saint-Ex: 2 stars

Gom Ba Woo: 2 stars

Mandalay: 2 stars

Etete: 2 stars

Jackie's: 2 stars

Jerry's Seafood: 2 stars

Layalina: 2 stars

Taberna Del Alabardero: 2 stars

Mitsitam Café: 2 stars

Nirvana: 2 stars

Vegetable Garden: 2 stars

Not Included

Laboratorio del Galileo: 4 stars

Komi: 3 stars

Zaytinya: 3 stars

Corduroy: 3 stars

minibar: 3 stars

Mannequin Pis: 3 stars

Nectar: 3 stars

Jaleo: 3 stars

Sakoontra: 3 stars

Cashion’s Eat Place: 3 stars

Equinox: 3 stars

Heritage India: 3 stars

Majestic Café: 2 stars

Guajillo: 2 stars

Tasting Room: 2 stars

Firefly: 2 stars

Taqueria Tres Reyes: 2 stars

Raku: 2 stars

La Flor de la Canela: 2 stars

Tavira: 2 stars

DC Coast: 2 stars

O’Learys: 2 stars

Pesce: 2 stars

Huong Que/Four Sisters Restaurant: 2 stars

Addie's: 2 stars

Breadline: 2 stars

Four & Twenty Blackbirds: 2 stars

Sweetwater Tavern: 2 stars

A&J: 2 stars

China Star: 2 stars

Bistro Francais: 2 stars

Montmartre: 2 stars

Tutto Bene: 2 stars

Sorak Garden: 2 stars

El Guajiro: 1 star

2005 Dining Guide

48 restaurants reviewed

3 restaurants w/ 4 stars

1 restaurant w/ 3.5 stars

3 restaurants w/ 3 stars

20 restaurants w/ 2.5 stars

13 restaurants w/ 2 stars

85.4 % of restaurants in the 2005 Dining Guide received either 2 or 2.5 stars

14.6% of restaurants in the 2005 Dining Guide received 3 or more stars

2004 Dining Guide

52 restaurants reviewed

4 restaurants w/ 4 stars

20 restaurants 2/ 3 stars

27 restaurants w/ 2 stars

1 restaurant w/ 1 star

90.4% of restaurants in the 2004 Dining Guide received either 2 or 3 stars

46.2% of restaurants in the 2004 Dining Guide received either 3 or more stars

I may have miscounted or mistyped some things, if so let me know and I'll be happy to correct them.

Edited by brian

Wow, nice breakdown.

Another thing I'm starting to like about this list is the "tell me something I don't know" factor. A lot of these places don't get regular mentions in his chats. Sometimes I feel cornered by the repetition of the same great old places. I love Zaytinya, Firefly, Komi, etc and find myself recommending them...all the time. This list makes me feel like stepping out of my little box... :lol:

OK, speaking of omissions, here's one from another angle...

Why are there NO restaurants in the guide which are located in Bethesda?

I know he can't necessarily spread his reviews by geography, and he's trying to get the base of reviews to expand beyond the immediate Metro Washington area. I get it. But here is a neighborhood with one of the highest concentrations of restaurants in our region, which is frequented by many many people, and he can't give at least ONE recommendation of someplace that people may want to try there? I'm not saying that Bethesda deserves more coverage due to its location--but if people go there to eat, it stands to reason that at least one or two are worth pointing out as places to go for SOME kind of function (party, romance, whatever).

Unless Tom is trying to diss the entire neighborhood, which IS justifiable (too crowded, too mass-market, too many chains, etc.)--but in that case, just SAY it, right?

IMHO, of course.

JeffAlex

Unless Tom is trying to diss the entire neighborhood, which IS justifiable (too crowded, too mass-market, too many chains, etc.)--but in that case, just SAY it, right?

I think he actually DOES dis Bethesda pretty regularly in his chats, unless someone says that their logisitics confines them to Bethesda. In that case he will usually say Raku (or Jaleo, but he seems pretty down on that location recently).

no and then!!!

"SWEET! DUDE!!!" FOOD Reviews from Ashton and Jason, and the first one who makes a seafood joke is gettin' a Kknuckel-Sand-Wich! Actually, jokes make my day, and, after further review, remember, for the next two weeks, you can go to the places who weren't included and get in without reservation 3 days ahead. and, in defence of Tom S., how boring would it be if, the same rest. were in the guide every year. At that point, it would be Tom's favs, and how they did this year. To my pals who needed the pub, sorry. As i've said to my staff, did we really need a 3rd restaurant week, ... again?

Smilin' Dave

Take the guide for what it is to the masses. I agree that we are a small-ish group compared to the tens of thousands of Post readers. The way I look at it from a restaurants view is that it WOULD be nice to make the list, but in the end we know where we stand in the grand scheme of it all day in and day out. Another way to eyeball the list, a friend of mine is a bartender at Argia's in Falls Church,for which they had the cover of The Washingtonian magazine for top 100 restaurants with a picture of one of their dishes.

He said that for weeks on end people came in demanding a table with said issue of Washingtonian in their hands. He also noted that many were 'one-timers' never to be seen again.

Tom did a good job compiling the list, and I hope to try some of the places.

Try a new restaurant on which day off? Workaholic freak!!

[Note: Thanks to DR for allowing this "do-over"]

My comments relate to the on-line version of the dining guide and don't apply to the hardcopy version on everyone's doorstep this morning.

On Thursday evening, I posted that Colorado Kitchen's hours in the 2005 Dining Guide included weekday breakfast hours. Seems the on-line version has inaccurate, old (oh, about three years) business hours that aren't in the paper version (which notes just lunch/dinner/brunch and no specific operating hours).

From Tom's on-line Colorado Kitchen profile: "HOURS: Tue-Fri 7 am-11 am Fri 11 am-2 pm Sat-Sun 11 am-3 pm Tue-Sun 5-10 pm"

Next day, I had Friday lunch at CK and did some community-spirited fact-checking (paid Post staff were probably checking more important factoids). Yup, CK stopped serving weekday breakfast around the time of the Fall 2002 sniper incidents (better for Chef to take her children to school than send them by bus) and CK hasn't resumed weekday morning service. Somehow, the Post hasn't updated the old on-line info - even for a restaurant that made it into both the 2004 & 2005 Dining Guides...

I'm OK now, Robin served walnut-dense banana miniloaf bread with mango sorbet at Friday lunch and I've a dodged a serious donut bullet.

JeffAlex

Resisted as long as I could.....

Because there aren't any good restaurants in Bethesda.

OK OK a little exageration as Green Papaya does Vietnamese well and Passage to India is good.

Methinks that JPW is from Virginia or maybe DC? Admittedly, I am from Bethesda, but Tom and other sources of ratings, as well as my own palate in all cases noted below, would disagree with you on there not being any good restaurants in Bethesda. In addition to the two restaurants you noted, I would submit Black's Bar and Grill, Grapeseed, Jaleo, Olazzo, Persimmon and Raku as restaurants with excellent reputations. And for a small region, 8-10 good restarants to choose from ain't bad.

In addition to the two restaurants you noted, I would submit Black's Bar and Grill, Grapeseed, Jaleo, Olazzo, Persimmon and Raku as restaurants with excellent reputations.  And for a small region, 8-10 good restarants to choose from ain't bad.

I think Tom agrees with you - he praised Raku and Jaleo in last year's dining guide. Having included Black Market Bistro in the guide this year he may have been reluctant to include another by the same restaurateur (Black Salt wasn't included, either). Many of the new additions in the dining guide this year were either new places or ones that had changed considerably since their last review, and after a spate of openings a few years ago the Bethesda dining scene has been relatively static compared to, say, Silver Spring. Unless you wanted him to include Old Homestead.

Edited by brian

Methinks that JPW is from Virginia or maybe DC?  Admittedly, I am from Bethesda, but Tom and other sources of ratings, as well as my own palate in all cases noted below, would disagree with you on there not being any good restaurants in Bethesda.  In addition to the two restaurants you noted, I would submit Black's Bar and Grill, Grapeseed, Jaleo, Olazzo, Persimmon and Raku as restaurants with excellent reputations.  And for a small region, 8-10 good restarants to choose from ain't bad.

In fact I live near downtown SS.

I'll give you Black's (although I much prefer Addie's among the Black operations), but my last meal at Grapeseed made me not want to spend any more money there (granted it was a while ago). Jaleo is not what it once was. The others I have yet to try.

However, there are better restaurants in each category that Tom organized his guide around in DC and VA than there are in Bethesda.

Nor would I exactly call Bethesda a "small" region. It's really the focal point of a large area and population from Silver Spring to Rockville to parts of NW DC.

Not to mention that "8-10" restaurants out of the legions to be found in Bethesda isn't exactly a high ratio.

Placing tongue back in cheek.

Tongue worked well in cheek until you mentioned specific restaurants in the first posting. Would have let it ride if you left the two restaurants out.

Agree with you on the poor ratio in Bethesda. You've got to know where to go.

Would encourage you to try the others listed---they are quite good!