Myong Dong (Oriental Noodle), Family-Run Korean Noodle House on Route 1 in Beltsville

A Korean noodle shop, Myong Dong, at the corner of Rt. 1 and Powder Mill Rd., is family run, very homey, delicious and cheap. There aren't very many choices here, but you don't need many.

This place was amazing. They closed to move in the reconstruction of the shopping center and have not reopened as of two weeks ago. They look ready to go.

Their specialties are cold noodles and I believe they make their own noodles on several varieties. They serve pickled daikon and kim chee that are of the best! I always get some boiled dumplings or fried if I am feeling decadent.

I wish they would reopen!

I have just returned for lunch. My second visit. THis time I had the spicy tofu with a mandu appetizer (steamed). The dumplings were bland ad forgettable, but the tofu was incredible. Soft, silky and smooth as a..... well I won't get obscene, the tofu si topped with a mix of thin omelet, seaweed, spicy red bean paste (I think) and served with a pile of shredded lettuce. The lettuce makes it easy to get all the small shreds of tofu to your mouth with shopsticks. You ahve to be really gentle picking up the tofu as it melts at the slightest pressure. I also had this dish the first time. They serve thre banchan with your meal: cukes in red sauce, kimchee and sweet pickled daikon or turnip. All three are nice but the daikon isnt as good as it was pre relocation. The Kimchee is crunchy and nicely hot. The cukes are superb if a little thinly sliced. Warm barly or roasted rice tea is offered. Service is well meaning but confused but at these prices who cares.

This place is now called Oriental Noodle in English on the sign. I'm not sure what the Korean is, it might be the same.
The sign says "Myong Dong" in Korean. The Oriental Noodle sign is there for English speakers (which is probably confusing to the non-Korean speakers).

Went last Saturday night around 7.45pm -- we were the only other couple in the restaurant. Surprising since the place has just been written up by both Washingtonian and the Post.

The steamed Mandu were good as was the star dish (forget the name)-some noodles and veggies in a broth with chicken. The Panchan were really good. The major disappointment was the Pork in some black bean sauce--way too much sauce and quite bland. The server was helpful and nice. Wish they served liquor.

Work brings me out to Laurel a few times a month, and when I'm out here, it's typically Korean for lunch. Myoung Dong is fine for an inexpensive Korean lunch, but certainly not worth a trip to Beltsville like the nearby Da Rae Won. I've eaten at both a handful of times, and quality-wise, there is no comparison.

For the 1st time today, I tried the fried Mandu, and meh. Chewy rather than crispy skin, and forgettable filling. Compare that to the version at Da Rae Won that should be held as the mandu standard (blistered, post-apocalyptic skin that shatters when you bite into it).

The thing that will keep this place in the lunch rotation is that I can get duk bok gi here, and not at its glorious neighbor. Sometimes you really need some fire-coated rice cakes to kick you in the gut, and when that need arises in Beltsville...

• Like 1

This used to be a superb place before their forced relocation so we caould build another CVS. The hand made noodles left in favor of yet another CVS. Yipee!

They do a superb chicken but its been a long time.

Redundant drug stores are murdering the route 1 corridor. We lost Irene's and Mango for a frakking WalGreens that is a third of a mile from a CVS and another .2 to another CVS. WTF do people do with all these drug stores?

CVS delayed public outcry (by a few years) by putting up historical pictures in their windows. Wal-Mart, Target, and CVS: they've won u/u (until and unless) the public changes its demands. I have enough confidence in the stupidity of the average person to have thrown in the towel, long ago. And if anyone reading this (which includes me) has shopped there recently, guess what? You're not "part" of the problem; you *are* the problem.

How about bank locations? It may have slowed down in the meantime, but for several years there was a new bank going up on virtually every street corner, or shopping center parking lot. I can't say they replaced beloved restaurants, I don't know, I didn't track it that closely. Still, it seemed like overkill.