Divino Lounge, Chef José Flores on Wisconsin Avenue in Bethesda - Closed Due to Lease Ending

Please transform this topic into a post elsewhere if there is an established general thread about new places and transformations.

However, last night I noticed copies of an application for a liquor license posted in the window of the McDonald's that closed some time ago, i.e. across from the Uptown, down a bit from an Italian restaurant on the corner whose logo is a winged lion.

Does anyone know what's up at this location?

Please transform this topic into a post elsewhere if there is an established general thread about new places and transformations.

However, last night I noticed copies of an application for a liquor license posted in the window of the McDonald's that closed some time ago, i.e. across from the Uptown, down a bit from an Italian restaurant on the corner whose logo is a winged lion.

Does anyone know what's up at this location?

I always comment on that space when we walk by, but haven't been around recently to notice the new permit. I had always assumed, in a completely uninformed way, that it was difficulty in obtaining a new liquor license on that strip that was holding the space back. Someone on here has to know what's up!

allegedly a Divino is going in that space.
The license reads that it is for Divino Lounge, a Latin American bar with Argentine food in the restaurant. It looks like an expansion from the Divino Lounge in Bethesda: http://www.divinolounge.com/

I have very happy that something is finally going to be in that space. Also, it'll be nice to have a new addition to the restaurant scene, especially something new Argentine food. Much better than the other recent addition FreshMed, bringing the neighborhood total of Greek places to 3.

Still nothing on their website about opening a Cleveland Park location. Any word on their Bethesda location? What's the scoop on the food, atmosphere, service?

All I know about the CP location is what I ahve read on the ANC meeting minutes and in the Northwest Current.

They have zoning issues with regards to the CP Business Overlay district which limits how much frontage space along Connecticut can be devoted to restaurants and banks. The city has made public statements opposing both Divino and Cosi. As I understand it Cosi has dropped their plans to go into the Stop & Shop because of this, and a potential Sushi bar was kept out of what is now the consignment shop across the street.

They also have a protest againt their liquor liscense application from the ANC.

While there is sign of some small amount of construction activity in the building, the building will need loads and loads of work if it is to become anything. There is no indication of and real active construction going on.

Still nothing on their website about opening a Cleveland Park location. Any word on their Bethesda location? What's the scoop on the food, atmosphere, service?

We went well over a year ago, so our experiences are definitely outdated, but we loved the chic atmosphere, were shocked by the prices (most dishes in the $30's plus double digit tapas), and relatively enjoyed the food, but haven't been back mainly b/c there are other options with better food and lower prices. But, again, take my dated experience with skepticism.

Pax,

Brian

We went here last night for drinks and appetizers. Thought the wine selection was great. It's mainly argentinian wine, with some from other spanish countries. The glasses the bartender recommended were really good. We just had the cheese and meat plate, so I can't really comment on the food, but it was pretty good.

For lunch today, I had shrimp in garlic, hot buns, skirt steak, a pile of ff, flan, 2 glasses of red, all for $17 plus tip, and it was all tasty, or as they say in Argentina, sabroso.

There were only 15 people in the restaurant, including two lovely blonde college students named Courtney.

Went last night for tapas but they were having a 3 course special for $25 so our group decided to try that. I Had the gazpacho, skirt steak, and flan. My wife had the salmon. The gazpacho was very good: nice flavor, good texture, and enough heat to give it a sharp bite. The steak was fine and had a nice herb sauce. My wife's salmon was way overcooked and came with bland steamed veggies, the dish was like something that might be served at a convention held in a hotel ballroom. And the flan had been cooked at too high a temp and had started to curd.

Overall I found the meal deeply mediocre and not worth the price.

I've always walked past this place assuming it was more of a lounge/bar than a restaurant, and never went in.

At the recent Taste of Bethesda though, they were out grilling sausages and hanger steaks for sandwiches. I tried, and really enjoyed, one of those Argentinian sausages before succumbing to the miserable weather.

So I figured I'd give Divino a shot, and went there for lunch a few days ago. They have a nice lunch deal, three course with a glass of wine for $15 or a soda for $12.

I had the Argentinian sausage again for the 1st course, which I enjoyed again.

The main was a hanger steak with chimichurri sauce and mashed potatoes. Pretty good piece of meat, the sauce was more subtle than most I've had...which is a good thing, as I'm not too fond of parsley.

The desert was my favorite part...a rolled up crepe filled with dulce de leche, with a brulee topping. Yum.

It came with a glass of house red...I'm not a big wine guy, but I liked it.

All in all, it was the perfect size for lunch, and obviously it was a good deal. The food was solid...nothing too exciting, but tasty.

I'd go back again for lunch.